• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Ranking in servers makes for happier chaps

This may sound weird but if you want to play better games against more organised players and be able to play more tactically...JOIN A CLAN!!!:D

Whats more who is going to pay for all these locked elite only servers?

In truth virtually every server the public play on is in some way Clan run or Clan owned and Clans need to have public servers in order to get members so this type of idea would have very limited appeal as it would require clans to run at least two servers.

One public and one locked elite only...For some that would be a huge waste of resources running a locked server for elite only players who will like most gamers join when they have time and if feel like it.
Which would infact mean that server would be empty most of the time?

Sorry if i sound negative but whilst it may sound like a good idea In my opinion it simply won't work in the real world..maybe one or two servers could be put up by Groups with the resources already but most will not want to spend more money to fund some players who consider themselves so elite they can't play on public servers.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ok lets get this straight.
Firstly i AM in a clan.
I'm NOT talking about locked, elite or special servers.
I'm talking about a way to range peoples playing skill into a server that's more setup of their level of play. So there's new guys on new guy servers, top guys on top servers & all the rest in between. We're not talking about a total block. If you play a lot you could be on the top servers within a few months once you achieve a good skill level. Remember the only limit is the players skill & time in game to increase that skill. If they want to progress they have to work for it. If the admin want that type of player on that type of server then they set the limit, no one else. I would definately go to a top ranked server & when i started i would've liked a lower ranked server so i could've learned without being food for the better guys.
Having to earn your rank gives many insentives. It makes you play more skillfully & more cautious so no running & gunning & no kamikazi satchel runs.
It reduces the chance of spawn TKers, weapon TKers & all the rest of the tking halfwits we have to put up with.
It gives a sense of achievement when you finally reach the dizzy heights of say the Splat or TDP servers, if they went to the top level server.
Other server will fill in the gaps. There's many servers who are just there for fun or to recruit for their clan & so would have lower level or players. Whereas there's also many servers out there who want good play & realism & guys to work as teams.
Each level you go up would give you more lessons to learn & improve your skill. It would keep RO in the realistic, skill based style that i'm sure we all love it for.
The majority of the TKing idiots we see on servers are new guys or guest pass guys who are frustrated due to their inability to get into the game bacause of their lack of skill. This would keep those gus OFF the servers the old guys play on AND let them come in slowly with players of a similar level. Lots of people leave RO as a beginner because they find it too hard & don't get into the game due to being pwned at every step. So they just give up.
I can't see any losers with a system like this.
You learn, you earn, you improve.
And remember if it was implemented we'd ALL have to start off at the bottom of the pile.
Cheers
Rob

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I hate elitists and this "idea" is ........ and will never ever happen.
I am really suprised that I have to see such a topic in the RO forums, I would expect something like that from CSS/BF2 forums.

Don't get me wrong, I am usually in the top 5 and want to win and I do everything I can to help the team. But I will not lock players out, I don't want noobs to leave I want them to get better.
And now get over yourself, we all bought the game and we all should have the right to play on a public server.

I play with people on TS that well.........let's say they are not that good. Now why on earth should I play on special servers so I can play with them. What happened to the good ol fun?

And now dear uber elitist, stop trying to divide the community.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The server is "locked" if you need to fill some requirements to play on it and "elite" if those requirements are hard to fill and only a small number of players are able to fulfill them.

The problem with a K/D-ratio (apart from the numerous posts in numerous threads, which have argued how meaningless it is in RO) is that over every RO player the ratio is exactly 1 (unless you play on Bot servers, ;). A handy trick if this is implemented). So, say you start playing against every other RO player. After a week the K/D-ratios start to show enough variance that the elite-servers can be meaningfully set up. The players with high K/D-ratios play on those servers because they want to play against other players with high K/D-ratios or it just makes them feel 1337. Those good players play against each other with the consequence of their K/D-ratios tending towards 1. At the same time, the not-as-good players keep playing against each other. New players with high K/D-ratios emerge on those servers. What happens to them? Do they knock out players on those elite-servers or will the number or people allowed to play on the elite-servers grow constantly with the consequence that in the end everyone is allowed there?

Upvote 0
Madeyes,

I understand where you're coming from, but I think ladder play is more the kind of thing you're talking about. For public servers, I think it should be generally pretty open. Sure that means sometimes you get stuck on a map with a bunch of clueless newbies, but when that happens, you either disconnect and find a less frustrating game, or try to organize folks.

The other thing you can do is play on actively adminned servers. THAT will definitely weed out the jackasses and TKers. Playing on unadminned public servers is (or at least should be) a conscious decision and one where you recognize "Ok, this is gonna be pretty much a free-for-all, so I should be ready to bail if I get the sense that I'm not having fun and there's no admins to get rid of these tards."

And again, you cannot numerically measure who is a good player. You can measure who caps a lot, who scores a lot of kills vs. how many times they die, and maybe who gives ammo a lot, but that's it. Those are the only metrics we currently have in the game, and tracking other more ephemeral aspects of what it means to be a good player is impossible.

Upvote 0
There are online leagues for games as well. That's probably your best bet if that's the kind of play you want.

Shooting straight and running into artillery repeatedly are two different things. Yes, people who can't shoot straight can be lousy players, just as people who CAN shoot straight can be lousy players. It doesn't matter how many kills you got unless you (a) get your can in the cap zone, or (b) manage to kill off the entire enemy team (Which I've only seen happen on a few maps).

Upvote 0