• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

New PC Good for price?

Leo4444

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 10, 2006
Las Vegas
Im going to buy a new pc but wanted to know if it was good deal its specs are:
Processor:Socket AM2) AMD Athlon™64 X2 6000+ Dual-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology
Motherboard:Socket AM2)Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe nForce 570 SLI MCP Chipset DDR2/800 MBoard w/ Dual PCI-Express
Ram:2GB
Power Supply:Ultra X-infinity 800w
Video Card: Evga 8800gts 640mb Superclocked
Sound Card:Creative Labs SB Audigy SE
Hard Drive:500gb
cooling fan:CoolerMaster Liquid CPU Cooling System (Superior Cooling Performance + Extreme Silent at 20dba)
Monitor:ViewSonic VG2030WM 20& quot; WSXGA+ Color TFT Active Matrix Lcd Display
Optical Drive:18X DVD

Last edited:
A rough thinking leads me to believe it's overpriced, but I can't be sure, since I don't know US prices exactly.
There is also a price drop coming on the 22nd July, and possibly one from AMD as well (to keep their prices in line with Intel's).
Building your own is 99% sure to be cheaper, if you believe you have the ability to do it.
(I'm assuming this is pre-built since you list a 3 year warranty although it might not be since you seem to have a PSU listed, and then another PSU coming with the case).

You can save money by not getting an 800W PSU for starters, since it's not necessary. Something of 500~600W will be plenty.
And Intel Core 2 Duo processor will also allow you to overclock.

Upvote 0
Dude if I was you and had that kind of money for a new PC I would build my own from scratch. You get exactly what you want and nothing extra that you don't. Plus it'll almost certainly be cheaper if you go for "bang for your buck" items rather than all cutting edge & costly. If you know how to do it yourself you should. If not then yes get a preassembled PC but only if you must.

Upvote 0
Dude, dont go AMD- I did and I have nothing but troubles, and its not only me, I can show you dozens of threads opened by peeps with all sorts of stutterin problems and ALL of them has an AMD 2x and 8800GTS combo of some kind.

Why? If I knew Id solve my issues, all I can say- if you are planning on next gen games go for Intel's duo or quad, it will be your safest bet.

Upvote 0
Thx for answers and thx for telling me not to go amd because i wasnt really sure if it was better than the intel dual cores. I would build my own pc but i dont think i will be capable of doing it without messing up.

Youre welcome. Do a lot of homework, search the net for build-your-own guides, if you have an older pc that you dont care about- take it apart and reassemble it just to see what goes where and youll be fine.

Upvote 0
Dunno have no probs with my AMD + 8600 combo.

AMD CPUs are cheaper and the AMD mobos too.

I didnt say that all the AMD + 8800 owners suffers, far from it, but in my search for a cure to my problems Ive read hundreds of posts in relevant forums, posted a few dozens myself and got several PMs from ppl with similiar problems and 99% of them had AMD. (maybe it has to be 8800GTS - all of us had a version of it whether twas the 640M or like mine - 320M)

Im only saying that his safest bet will be an Intel. They are shown repeatedly to be faster. I regret not doing it myslef and Id be more than willing to pay that extra cash if I could go back in time :(.

Upvote 0
I have the same video card, only x2 :D

I am also envious of your cooling system.

Have you considered going to a full case? I found just the extra room was an enormous help when putting it together, not to mention all the room for expansion :)

I think you could scale back the power supply to the 600 range or so, save some money there.

I can't offer anything on the Intel/AMD front, except that I'm liking my Core2Duo right now :)

You sure about vista as your OS?

Upvote 0
Dude, dont go AMD- I did and I have nothing but troubles, and its not only me, I can show you dozens of threads opened by peeps with all sorts of stutterin problems and ALL of them has an AMD 2x and 8800GTS combo of some kind.

Why? If I knew Id solve my issues, all I can say- if you are planning on next gen games go for Intel's duo or quad, it will be your safest bet.

Remember, the 88xx drivers are not quite up to par anyways...don't go blaming AMD for something that everyone is having problems with. I DO have an X2 4600+ and I still load anything faster than a similar Intel system. And the AMDs are dirt cheap.

But that particular system does seem overpriced...

Upvote 0
Remember, the 88xx drivers are not quite up to par anyways...don't go blaming AMD for something that everyone is having problems with. I DO have an X2 4600+ and I still load anything faster than a similar Intel system. And the AMDs are dirt cheap.

But that particular system does seem overpriced...

But Im not talking about RO, I know the 8800 driver issue with the unreal engine, thats not it. My issue is an all around choppy performance of 80% of the games I tried, especialy in so-called next gen titles. A sordid array of micro-stutters and major ones.

From searching and asking I know that most of the AMD owners dont suffer from it (some with specs lower than my own) but almost all of the peeps that do suffer has AMD.

EDIT: One case which I followed was particulary intersting to me cos I thought about the same upgrade- that guy had the same issues and the same CPU as mine (4200+), he decided to upgrade to 6000+ and get a RAID0 combination of 2 faster HDDs, his issues were not solved and that convinced me that it's got to be an AMD or an AMD/nvidia combo problem.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I personally would not go for that specific system, but then again, I'm a bit of a cheapskate when it comes to this stuff. Anyhow, It's ones own preference should they go for Intel or AMD so I'm not going there, but there's really lot of what I'd consider unnecessary stuff in that setup. For example, you're paying for two PSU's - a 420W and an 800W one. As for the soundcard, most motherboards already have a very good integrated one. It's a good computer, but the cost could have been distributed better.

Anyhow, I don't really know about the US prices, but with everything overclocked and a three year warranty, it does not sound that bad to me. Of course, you'd get more bang for your buck if you just bought and assembled your own computer.

As for general advice, your PC will be obsolete in two years, but the monitor will go for a long way, so I'd shell a bit more to get a properly good monitor. Maybe you could ask your local computer store to build you a computer from components bought from there - they will probably charge like hundred dollars or so for it and you won't get a warranty extension, but if a component is faulty, it will very likely break within the one year manufacturers warranty anyway. Then get a good monitor, 22" or 24" with the money you saved :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
But Im not talking about RO, I know the 8800 driver issue with the unreal engine, thats not it. My issue is an all around choppy performance of 80% of the games I tried, especialy in so-called next gen titles. A sordid array of micro-stutters and major ones.

From searching and asking I know that most of the AMD owners dont suffer from it (some with specs lower than my own) but almost all of the peeps that do suffer has AMD.

EDIT: One case which I followed was particulary intersting to me cos I thought about the same upgrade- that guy had the same issues and the same CPU as mine (4200+), he decided to upgrade to 6000+ and get a RAID0 combination of 2 faster HDDs, his issues were not solved and that convinced me that it's got to be an AMD or an AMD/nvidia combo problem.

I wasn't speaking solely to RO.

And one quixotic case convinced you? :rolleyes:

And no, the 2900s aren't worth it. The chances of you having trouble are fairly small...

Upvote 0
I wasn't speaking solely to RO.

And one quixotic case convinced you? :rolleyes:

And no, the 2900s aren't worth it. The chances of you having trouble are fairly small...

Nope, there were dozens of cases- this guy just went and actually opend his wallet to do something about it- he stayed AMD just cos he didnt want to buy a new mobo as well (can you blame him?)- his zero improvement convinced me not to spend another dime on AMD and to wait for the right time to do a complete change (mobo and CPU).

Anyway OT: Even if its only 0.001% of us that are cursed with unexplicable poor performance, why should the OP take that chance?

Upvote 0
Building your own PC for the first time is scary but the rewards are WELL worth it IMO. If you have an online account at amazon or newegg or something like that you could just buy each component piece by piece and put it together at your leisure. Take each step slowly and ask on tech forums about stuff you aren't sure about. I understand if you just don't want the hassel and stress of doing it yourself but once you know how you will likely NEVER buy a prebuilt PC again (I know I wont). When you realize just how much they gouge you for. Go to newegg.com and add up the prices for those components if you were to buy them yourself and see if the price is susbtantially less than the prebuilt (maybe it is or maybe not but I'd guess you could save a ton of money if you did it yourself).

Also:
Optical Drive:18X DVD

Last edited:
Upvote 0
They are indeed, unless you get a lot of dead parts like I did :mad:.
Mmmm yeah that sucks. I ordered my video card through TigerDirect and luckily it's working fine. For other parts I have a local computer store (PC club) that carries everything you need to build your own PC so if something is DOA you can just bring it right back (luckily never happened). Here's their website (for anyone interested) http://www.pcclub.com/main.cfm and they have a store locator so you can find one in your area that way you don't have to do the risky "will it arrive alive" dance when you order stuff online. It's a really good store & their prices are pretty good for the most part.

Last edited:
Upvote 0