• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Diving alternatives

aag567

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 1, 2006
I think diving should reduce your stamina, since diving onto your chest and elbows is going to hurt alot.

A alternative would be dropping into a roll on your side by holding the prone key, the longer you hold the prone key the longer you'll roll, you could bring your back upwards and aim quicky by pressing the iron sights key, this would bring you into cover like craters about as fast as diving and take up less stamina but wouldn't bring you over short objects.

Taking up the least stamina would be dropping onto your knees, then your elbow, then into the proper prone stance.

A alternative would be dropping into a roll on your side by holding the prone key, the longer you hold the prone key the longer you'll roll
Down with the sdkfz or the clowncars for transportation:
Goron Roll for the masses!!!

Do you really think you could roll around with gear on your back, a helmet on your head and a weapon in your hand, another one on your back and grenades sticking out of every hole?

Sounds hollywood to me. Even if its possible its not a desireable action and unless you implement its downsides (chance losing stuff, chance of hurting yourself, chance of hurting your gear) people will abuse it.

Besides: Diving already takes stamina. And think about it: How many miles LESS could you jogg if you dived at one point or another? Its not THAT much, just because it knowcks the air out of you. Its not like you are underwater and you can't breath yourself some new air. There's enough for everyone.

Upvote 0
Down with the sdkfz or the clowncars for transportation:
Goron Roll for the masses!!!

Do you really think you could roll around with gear on your back, a helmet on your head and a weapon in your hand, another one on your back and grenades sticking out of every hole?

Sounds hollywood to me. Even if its possible its not a desireable action and unless you implement its downsides (chance losing stuff, chance of hurting yourself, chance of hurting your gear) people will abuse it.

Besides: Diving already takes stamina. And think about it: How many miles LESS could you jogg if you dived at one point or another? Its not THAT much, just because it knowcks the air out of you. Its not like you are underwater and you can't breath yourself some new air. There's enough for everyone.

Rolling with a weapon in hand is no problem. Or, it is a problem first time you do it, but after a while you get the hang of it. Magazines and such are usually tucked into pockets that are designed to be able to take a hit (not from small arms fire ;) or two and the soldiers ingame are not running around with any backpack (weapons and ammo only). Sure, you might damage a magazine if you fall really badly on it, but if I have to chose between myself and a magazine...

Still, I think I agree with you that rolling is more hollywod than facts, it's just that I don't think the other parts of your critique were valid enough.

When it comes to losing stamina from diving: it's not the getting down itself that drains stamina, gravity is doing the work for you, it is getting up time and time again that does the trick. So if something, getting up from a lower position should draw a small ammount of stamina. But seriously, who cares ^^

Upvote 0
Rolling with a weapon in hand is no problem. Or, it is a problem first time you do it, but after a while you get the hang of it. Magazines and such are usually tucked into pockets that are designed to be able to take a hit (not from small arms fire ;) or two and the soldiers ingame are not running around with any backpack (weapons and ammo only). Sure, you might damage a magazine if you fall really badly on it, but if I have to chose between myself and a magazine...

Still, I think I agree with you that rolling is more hollywod than facts, it's just that I don't think the other parts of your critique were valid enough.
Rolling around with a scoped rifle might screw your settings for the aim-point, hitting something with the barrel of your gun could produce inaccuracies when fireing and although small, they might be noticable at longer ranges, you might lose whatever you are carrying (grenades, clips, sidearms, that round metal canister the Jerries have with them, your helmet, etc), rolling with a beltfed mg doesn't look too great in my imagination either, let alone rolling with fausts or the ptrd.
As nothing of that is currently implemented and nothing of that will be implemented with a rolling feature, rolling has NO negative effect whatsoever so people will roll without even thinking about it.

Of course all these effects are better than getting shot. But how often would a roll have saved your life in RO up to now?

Upvote 0
This is about as fast, and it would be useful for going into prone and facing enemies at your side quickly and once you're on your back you can control how much you bring your back upwards/downwards while aiming (should be done with all stances) to quickly get into cover, then fire once you're into cover that's too high to shoot over while prone.

This might not be usefull most of the time, but mapping it to holding the prone key wouldn't make it get in the way of other keys.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Play some Joint Operations. they have a roll feature in there. It gets silly watching people roll for long distances. would it get abused here? of course, we're talking about humans. So there would have to be limits imposed. Then the debates of those limits would have to take place, again the human factor.
Then *IF the feature made it all the way to the game, we would get the parade of those who say this feature is the death of RO, and again more debates and flame wars. Given this, i cannot see this feature being added any time soon if ever. Its not a bad idea, but again its the human condition that prevents this.

Upvote 0