• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Cios vs the Army

SiC-Disaster

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 16, 2005
Netherlands
www.tangodown.nl
afbeelding035wg1.jpg

Together with a few people from my class i organised a big event, pitching people from Cios against the dutch army. ( Cios is my school, wich teaches you to become a sports teacher, ranging from drill instructor (Cios:SCUB) to outdoors sports instructor (Buitensport, outdoor sports, wich im going to do) to physical trainer on elementary schools, to 'movement co-ordinator' for old people, dunno what its called, and lots more.)
Somehow though, not one person from SCUB wanted to compete in our event. Saying, 'we know what walks around there, we arent going to win anyway', while this event is something that should really appeal to them.

It was really hard to organise this, and it took us over 6 weeks with 5 people in organisation.
We had to hold pre-selections to select the best people from our school to stand a chance, setting out a course in a nearby forest, arranging materials, timeplanning, informing everyone about our project, etc etc.
we were in the forest at 6 in the morning, setting everything up so we could start at 8:45.
Overall it took something around 20 minutes to complete in a normal jogging speed, the fastest time that day accomplished was 11:20 minutes.
In the end, we selected 20 people, of wich 9 people could not make it that day ( but informed us of their problems way to late, leaving us to make last minute arrangements on the army barracks on the day the event was going down ).

Then for the day itself on the army base, we ofcourse had to make arrangements and reach an agreement to be able to organise this thing.
later on, in this past week, we went to the base 3 times, one day to see what ideas we could use on the assault course, and wich idea's we could not use. in the end of that day, we had new and good ideas for it.
On thursday we went there again, setting up all the ideas we thought up.
For this, we took the basic assault course, but we altered it in such a way even a soldier who has been in the army for 6 years had never seen our way of dealing with obstacles the way we wanted them to do.:p

And then came THE day, friday. The day our selected people came to the base, together with a 5man team of the army, to compete for the best time.
We had to make sure everyone had insurrance, wich we had to take care of ourselves, everyone had to have ID cards with them, the daywatch had to knew who were coming, we had to reserve tables in the base restaurant so everyone could eat, we had to make sure everybody arrived at the base (we got an army bus to pick them up at a trainstation ) and a whole lot more.

At around 11 hours our people arrived, a few minutes later so did the soldiers who were to compete.
we held introductions, went over rules on the base, and took everybody with us to explain the workings of our obstacle course.
after that, we went to the restaurant to eat, and we then brought them back to the course, giving them some time to think of strategies to tackle obstacles.
Then, at 1 o'clock, the army team started the course and set the time to beat, 12:41.
After that, came 3 of Cios teams, (wich were reduced to 4 men per team, instead of the planned 5 because not everybody who got through pre-selection could make it that day), all not beating the time set by the army. Times ranged from 14, to 15, to 20 minutes.

Motivation that day, was for all teams more then we could have asked for.
The army, ofcourse, did not want to lose and went as fast as they could, leaving most people in awe at their speed.
Our teams gave all they had to beat the set time, resulting in collapsing people at the end of the course :p There were some girls there too, who had to really give all they had and wich still wouldnt be enough, ( for example on the rope course, catcrawling ). One girl really impressed me, she was so tired and beat she cried silently, but without complaining she carried on, completed our course, then at the end, completely broke down, but very happy she didnt give up and carried on. Our army guys were there the whole time, trying to motivate her, taking obstacles with her etc.
After everybody was done, the 5 people from the organisation including me took our course as well, but since we were running along all day with every team, we were pretty tired allready and we set a time of 15:something.
(as for the day before, we set a time of 13:30 while testing ).

In the end, the army was the ultimate winner, but not one team felt they had lost, because it was a very hard course and yet still they completed it, gaining a personal victory.
Then, a drill instructor noted that the Cios students could finish a great day by bellydiving into the mud at one of the obstacles, jokingly.
Within a few seconds, the first of our crazies was allready laying facedown in the mud, followed by me shortly after, followed by pretty much everybody else shortly after that :p
It was really funny looking at the soldiers faces because we could clearly see they laughed their asses of at our crazyness, but loved us for doing it:p One guy really got in and got himself dirty, he was pretty much all black from the mud, except for his eyes and teeth, walking around with a smile like this: :D. :p

Overall, the day could not have been any better. Our time planning this whole thing over the past six weeks really paid off, everybody was very happy, dirty and exhausted, motivation was high (especially considering we actually had a week free from school, so they this project didnt get them a day free of it, but sacrificed their own time. Same went for most of the army dudes, they were free but came to our project anyway and give us all their best).
The best compliment we had, and possibly could have had, was that the drill instructors wanted to leave our course standing for other soldiers to train on :). That really made us, as organisation, really really happy.
In the end, to me, it was not about winning, but comparing yourself to the people that defend our country, and gaining new respect for what our soldiers do. ( of wich i heard quite a few remarks, saying 'respect for the people who do this every day' and stuff like that )

Ive made a few pictures of the course, and video footage of our army guys taking the obstacle course, but i'm waiting for more footage and pictures made by other guys so i can make a great video out of this whole project.
When i get it, and the video is done, i'll upload it to Youtube and post a link:)

Last edited:
After a very long wait, i finally got more footage from our teacher, and now i finally found the time to make a video.
It was to big for youtube, however, so i uploaded it to some other site wich has rather very bad quality in both video and sound.
*edit: the crappy site has for some reason, decided to not approve the video... Apparently there was not enough manga in it... For real! :eek::confused:*

Also, i uploaded it to filefront. It would be great if you guys downloaded it, i'm sure you'll like it :)

http://files.filefront.com/Cios+vs+the+Armywmv/;7857279;;/fileinfo.html

The video is 10 minutes long, and features 3 songs. Those songs are, in order:
Soldat - Lyube
This is War - Ill Nino
The dawn of Battle - Manowar

Many thanks to the dutch army ( Kazerne Havelte ) for allowing us to organize this project, and that we got to use their terrain.
Also thank you to all participants, both Army and Cios combatants.

Upvote 0
I admire your writing ability and your knowledge of the English language and the fact that you took the time to write this story.

But really.....who the **** cares....:confused:

Well, who cares about the tons of other things in this part of the forums?
There might be some people who like it, no?
Besides, cant i be proud of something i've accomplished? I dont want all my hard work on this vid go to waste, so i decided to share it with other people.

Upvote 0
I really only have one thing to say.

That course looked like a killer. Congratulations to everyone who took part, hopefully you all got a lot of satisfaction out of conquering it. Thanks for sharing the experience.

Thank you and Kara very much :) Glad someone can appreciate it :)
And yes, people found our course to be very satisfactory... Even the army did, they are now using it to train soldiers on, but with full combat gear on.
Also, they'd like us to come back next year and do it again, but then we can include multiple schools, so we have more teams etc.
And, equally important, the people who took part this year, would like to come back for more, so i can safely say it was a huge succes. :):cool:

Upvote 0
GIVE firearms hell no. Dutch wouldnt know how to handle them :). Simply LET you shoot them at a range at targets for a marksman competition.

That's simply a 'NOT DONE'.
Giving 17 year olds firearms is like placing raging bulls in a china shop. They lack the discipline for it, and even then, the weapons are for military use, not civilian or pleasure usage. And who would clean the weapons afterwards? The civilians don't know how to, it takes to long to teach them or let them do it because if you want it clean good it will take several hours.
What you want is simply impossible.

Even if we could, you would have to take care of transports to the shooting grounds, as they are not located on the army barracks themselves but on a practice ground nearby.
Add costs for transports, and bullets, wich we as students dont have the money to pay for, and the army does not have any reason to pay for us.

One can want to much.
We promised a challenging assault course, we arranged a challenging assault course. Everybody happy.
*and the girls would probably scream and let the gun drop after their first shot lol*

Upvote 0
Giving 17 year olds firearms is like placing raging bulls in a china shop. They lack the discipline for it

What?

I have no idea how you came up with that. When are 17 year olds some crazy people that cant handle a firearm. Seriously wtf? Maybe in Holland they are, (i seriously doubt it).

Lack of discipline to what?, pull a trigger and aim at a few targets. With instructors there on how to shoot the firearm and be safe is in it no way harder for a 8 year old to do it than it is for a 17 year old.

Where i live the United States (o yeah the place full of idiots, Bush, fake boobs, and Soccer) children shoot firearms in a safe matter and are taught how to handle a firearm. Shooting is part of the U.S and a European country south from you, Switzerland!

So i really dont understand how a few sane 17 year olds couldn't shoot a firearm? (Put sane in there because you gonna fire back with something about the recent killings at Virginia Tech or the incident at Columbine.)

please explain.

Also
And who would clean the weapons afterwards? The civilians don't know how to, it takes to long to teach them or let them do it because if you want it clean good it will take several hours.

First how would you know anything bout cleaning a firearm if your a civilian. Said so yourself civilians dont know anything bout cleaning firearms. (k enough of nitpicking). Cleaning a firearm is a simple process, seriosuly it is and it doesnt take 2 hours. More like 30 minutes for a good effective brush. (pistols even shorter). On another note let the Dutch Soldiers clean them probably a change from scrubbing toilets and worrying bout being sent into battle. They probably hardly ever shoot em anyways they would have fun aswell. ;)

Edit: Raging bulls what the crap? i seriously dont know where you just base 17 year olds as raging bulls. Im 17 years old and i have 5 guns. O now im a raging bull and want to go kill 30 people just like CS! Stop watching T.V, watching stupid Hollywood movies, reading the news if this is where you got this idea from.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
What?

I have no idea how you came up with that. When are 17 year olds some crazy people that cant handle a firearm. Seriously wtf? Maybe in Holland they are, (i seriously doubt it).

Lack of discipline to what?, pull a trigger and aim at a few targets. With instructors there on how to shoot the firearm and be safe is in it no way harder for a 8 year old to do it than it is for a 17 year old.

Where i live the United States (o yeah the place full of idiots, Bush, fake boobs, and Soccer) children shoot firearms in a safe matter and are taught how to handle a firearm. Shooting is part of the U.S and a European country south from you, Switzerland!

So i really dont understand how a few sane 17 year olds couldn't shoot a firearm? (Put sane in there because you gonna fire back with something about the recent killings at Virginia Tech or the incident at Columbine.)

please explain.

Also

First how would you know anything bout cleaning a firearm if your a civilian. Said so yourself civilians dont know anything bout cleaning firearms. (k enough of nitpicking). Cleaning a firearm is a simple process, seriosuly it is and it doesnt take 2 hours. More like 30 minutes for a good effective brush. (pistols even shorter). On another note let the Dutch Soldiers clean them probably a change from scrubbing toilets and worrying bout being sent into battle. They probably hardly ever shoot em anyways they would have fun aswell. ;)

Edit: Raging bulls what the crap? i seriously dont know where you just base 17 year olds as raging bulls. Im 17 years old and i have 5 guns. O now im a raging bull and want to go kill 30 people just like CS! Stop watching T.V, watching stupid Hollywood movies, reading the news if this is where you got this idea from.

Because i know these people. And i'm not the person watching rambo movies and playing CS but those people are, lol.
Now could you leave my thread and shut up, you are not adding anything. Our project consisted about an assault course, wich we accomplished. It never was our intend to shoot rifles, so we did not do that and we did not want to do that with the people we know we have. Nor would the army would have wanted that, another barracks allready turned our request down in the first place, so you cant ask for to much or the whole deal is a no-go.
Also, the 'raging bull' thing was an overstatement to get my point across, you should not take every single word written on the internet serious! It doesnt take to much brain activity to figure that out, honestly.

Just get the fact that we never intended to do a shooting contest (and another important fact: it has nothing to do with our education, becoming sports teacher, so it was irrelevant and would not have added anything except for extra paperwork and more stuff to take care of).

Upvote 0