• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

More gore and other unpleasent content for RO?

More gore and other unpleasent content for RO?

• Include units like WSS, Hitker Jugend and NKVD only

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • Include more gore only

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • Include all of the above

Votes: 9 22.0%
  • The game is fine as it is now

Votes: 20 48.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Atomskytten

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 18, 2006
Being inspired by the Hitler Youth Player Model in RO thread I was wondering how many of us wants more ingame realism in the form of including "political incorrect" units like Waffen SS, Hitler Youths, NKVD etc. etc. and more gore, like getting gutted when hit in the abdomen, brains being splattered when the head is cracked open by shell fragments, bullets and explosions and of course being able to shoot of limbs or severing them with bayonets including being able to do so post mortem?

Am I the only sick bastard who wants more of this kind of realism or?.....

NO!
Didn't you get it in the other thread?
We don't want Hitler-Jugend units, nor do we want questionable Waffen SS units. Before you ask, no, we don't want concentration camps, mass rapes and hangings either. Historically accurate? No doubt, but who cares? This is a game meant to entertain and not to relive the horrors of war.

I could live with more gore, but honestly, what would you want to add? The game is very gorey already. You can't go much further without making it over-the-top comical like exploding bodies in Quake 3 or something and I don't think that would fit the otherwhise serious tone of the game.

Upvote 0
Well, units like WSS and NKVD would indeed be nice. Or WSS at least, there's no denying it's importance. RO is already quite hard core when it comes to violence, and adding more realism would only make it better. I just can't see it happening, hordes of Peoples Police of Political Correctness all over the world would go ballistic if there was a single visible swastika or playable SS soldier in a comercial computer game. It is totally retarded to deny the history and ban some symbols, but that's how the world goes. :(

EDIT:
And in addition, I don't think there's neccessarely need for extra gore, but deaths could be made a bit slower. After being wouded deadly the soldier wouldn't always die instantly but it would take maybe 10-15 secs and include some screaming. IRL people seldom die fast unless they are hit in the head, for example even if the heart is destroyed person can live over 10 seconds (there's a FBI study about firearm effectiveness available somewhere, don't remember the exact name).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'd like all of the above, though it isnt a big issue.
Also, 'gutting people' should not occur much, only by grenades or something.
Though cutting off limbs with bayonets? nah, not doable. Well, its doable but not within a timeframe in RO since only the points of the bayonets are sharp and not made for cutting, and even then it takes a lot of force to cut through bone. So keep it realistic and not Soldier of Fortune-like.

Upvote 0
Well, units like WSS and NKVD would indeed be nice. Or WSS at least, there's no denying it's importance.

Only reason why they might add WSS (which is not going to happen) is to get rid of people who keep complaining "omg add ze gemran summer camos" all the time.

I wouldn't personally mind seeing some units E.G. WSS ingame if we speak by historical accuracy and such. But try talking about WSS without any politics is just mission impossible, or NKVD. So everytime you mention you have WSS unit fighting in area X, almost everyone is like "Damm, these guys were nazi fanatics". (over-generalized example. No need to start nitpicking like "omg division Wiking wasn't liek that!!!!"

Sure we all know this and that about WSS and NKVD and such and such and bla bal bal bal bal multiplied by tens of thousands. But that's the problem. Even though WSS insignias and such might be cooler than Heer's insignias, that doesn't change the fact what they also represent. Same applies with NKVD, sure the insignias and such and such might be cooler, but what about what they really represent?

I am not the judge here, but pretty often why people want to have WSS ingame and such is pretty much the fact they have this 'elite' reputation - which is true in some extent. I understand that, but talking about NKVD or WSS or anything like that without grabbing any political issues in it is just plain mission impossible.

Upvote 0
If there's a game about battles on Eastern front in WW2, what is the gain in leaving out units like WSS and covering all swastikas? I just don't see any point in it, none whatsoever.

most probably because we do not want to have nazis masturbating over this game... imo requesting "realistic" unit like Hitler Youth or requesting more gore is simply sick...

wanna more gore? Go and play Manhunt, Carmagedon, Soldier of Fortune, Postal and than come back and play RO with us.

Upvote 0
It's a WAR GAME!! Everyone in the game is trying to kill everyone else. That's the whole point of it & you ALL enjoy it so which one of us is sick? The guy that wants to kill 50 Russians of Germans a round or the one who wants to do it in a more gorey realistic way & with the added accuracy of historical uniforms?
Remember not all kills are gorey. Some can hardly be seen, so as long as it's realistic & done correctly then it can only add to the game.
As for the uniforms this isn't a political soap box, it's a game & a game based on realism. Lots of servers kick/ban for SS or NVKD tags & other similar groups which is fine as we don't want idiots called osama bin laden or Himmler & cr4p like that.
However these uniforms & insignia were a fact, regardless of todays fluffy PC world. You wouldn't watch a modern war film if it was incorrect just to please some god bothering, lefty, lesbian, single mother. Accuracy in books, film & now the PC gaming world is essential in the realms of the media used. A bad film will do badly at the box office, a bad book won't sell & a game won't do as well either. There's enough of a community here to get rid of any idiots who take it all too much & start spouting Nazi crap. And as for mass rapes & concentration camps in the game?? If your not gonna add to the thread then your taking away from it. Grow up & think before you type & you may get a little more respect.
Be brave, be honest & be correct & you can't go wrong in anything.
Rob

Upvote 0
NO!
Didn't you get it in the other thread?
We don't want Hitler-Jugend units, nor do we want questionable Waffen SS units. Before you ask, no, we don't want concentration camps, mass rapes and hangings either. Historically accurate? No doubt, but who cares? This is a game meant to entertain and not to relive the horrors of war.

I could live with more gore, but honestly, what would you want to add? The game is very gorey already. You can't go much further without making it over-the-top comical like exploding bodies in Quake 3 or something and I don't think that would fit the otherwhise serious tone of the game.

You can only speak for your self unless, of course, you are a psychic?
There is no difference in killing the soldiers of RO or murdering people in Manhunt/Postal for entertainment - it is only in your mind the difference is..
Making WW2 games, or any other war game, in a sanitised way is to glorify war and violence and is a great way to remove the true consequences of war from the mind of the player and is also belittleling the sacrifices and suffering of those afflicted by war. Sure we can go on pretending war is not horrid, brutal in the extreme, perverse, gruesome, dehuminizing and degrading to its participants but why bother with the tragic facts of the real world when killing virtual people in games should be a fun and pleasureable experience?

And yes more gore could be added to the game without making it "comical" - The variation of disfigurations and damage that can be made to the human body is legion and absurd into the extreme but that does not make it funny or pleasurable in any way.

Upvote 0
no I do not play RO because it is WW2 game. I play it because of its physics = running, stamina, IS, etc... So if uniforms will be orange vs. green I DO NOT CARE, if there will be no single drop of blood I DO NOT CARE. I am not playing this to kill somebody but to defeat somebody in game, to cap some zone - and again I DO NOT CARE if it is realistic 1:1 modeled area.

so sorry... I still think that requesting more gore or things like children-enemy is just sick. I do not say you / anybody is sick.

Upvote 0
You can only speak for your self unless, of course, you are a psychic?
You forgot a second possibility: Maybe I have been around here long enough so I have seen the exact same discussion multiple times and participated a lot in them and the consens always was that we don't want to have warcrimes in a game. It took a few pages for the sickos to realize it but eventuelly they got it and if not they at least accepted the fact that we will thankfully never ever see that kind of stuff in the game.

And if there really is no difference between killing a child and an adult, why is there a difference between having sex with 'em?
Because they can't decide for themselves. They are too easy to manipulate. Just watch your beloved "Der Untergang" to see how blind that dumb kid is.
The problem isn't to kill them (self-defense), but to even deploy them as soldiers in a warzone. That's a warcrime and we don't want warcrimes in RO.

Of course warcrimes happened. WW2 was chockfull of them. But that's not what I want to see in my game.

Tell me how the gameplay would benefit from having to kill children?
I can't see a single benefit that would justify the effort to put them in.

So I guess its all about historical accuracy, right?
If so, why don't you suggest concentration camps, mass rapes and hangings? They were part of the war too.
What about a mission where you have to get some more jews into a gas chamber because russians are about to attack soon and you want to get the most out of your deathcamp?
What about a mission where you have to hunt down unarmed civilians (played by players) and hang them all within a time limit?
What about a mission were you have to rape all the women of a village while your teammates force their families to watch? Maybe even have a raping minigame?
And don't call me sick, because all of that happened back then!:mad:
If you would REALLY care for historical accuracy and if you would REALLY care about NOT painting a pink flower picture of war, then you must want all these things in the game too.
No?

Upvote 0
In my oppinion diversity is good, having more different skins and so forth avaiable makes for even more fun and interesting games.

Refraining from using a unit or platoon in a game because it is associated with bad human behavior only helps us forget what they did in real life and how it was allowed to happen.
Of course we all agree that it was horrid what NKVD and WSS did both before, during and after WW 2.
However that doesnt change the fact that they were present, at least in some instances.

So include the lot, more weapons uniforms and tanks!
Even those that arent politcally correct, but whose actions should not be forgotten, just so we can play the political corectness game.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.