• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Bad way to handle menu/battle music

Helmut_AUT

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 14, 2005
Hi all

While I truly love the update and the new maps, I think I've seen more people than just me not liking the way it works with the music now.

I personally want main menu music, but not battle music. Right now, there's only one volume slider controlling both.

I thought this wouldn't be a big problem - I would just remove all battle sound files, and only leave the main menu sound file in the /music folder. That way it should have worked.

Well, not really, since the battle music just randomly picks one .ogg file out of the /music folder. So even if there's just the main menu music file in there, it will play during battle.

Why hasn't this been coded better? It would have seemed simple enough to have one file for the menu, and other files (or a sub-folder) for the battle sounds. That way everyone could switch files around as he pleases.

Please sort this out, Tripwire. And the weapons pickup system too, while you're at it.

And the weapons pickup system too, while you're at it.
While the music is slightly annoying, I just turned it off and that's that. Not a game breaker, just one of those little things that you think "why?" and then think no more about it. This issue though... The number of times I die because I can't pick up the weapon/ammo I want is astounding. It's the only thing in the game that genuinely makes me fire up (to the point of swearing loudly and excessively in Ventrilo). I shouldn't have to throw my weapon over THERE, pick up a new one, have my weapon swap to ANOTHER when I try to grab the ammo satchel, or swap guns when all I want is a faust/satchel or hell, why do I still have to go through the hassle of dropping my grenades in order to pick up a pistol? By the time I've dropped them, picked up theirs and the pistol, then the ammo, then swapped back to my own grenades (I usually want a specific type depending on the map), I've been drilled by someone who's managed to stop laughing at me long enough to pull the trigger.

The Tripwire ethos is that if something's simple to do in real life, it should be simple to do in the game. This seemingly minor thing though, is the exception to the rule. Not intentionally, but that's how it's worked out. All I want is the option to turn off the stupid auto-swap feature. People who like it can keep it, but it's driving me absolutely insane and I know I'm not alone in my feelings about this issue. When a broken feature frequently results in a player's premature death (and certainly a large amount of wasted time), then there's something wrong with it.

Upvote 0
Hi all

While I truly love the update and the new maps, I think I've seen more people than just me not liking the way it works with the music now.

I personally want main menu music, but not battle music. Right now, there's only one volume slider controlling both.

I thought this wouldn't be a big problem - I would just remove all battle sound files, and only leave the main menu sound file in the /music folder. That way it should have worked.

Well, not really, since the battle music just randomly picks one .ogg file out of the /music folder. So even if there's just the main menu music file in there, it will play during battle.

Why hasn't this been coded better? It would have seemed simple enough to have one file for the menu, and other files (or a sub-folder) for the battle sounds. That way everyone could switch files around as he pleases.
Yes, I agree.

This is more interesting for especially guys like me, who do want menu music, but don't want the framerate drop (and being disturbed) by the in-game music.

Upvote 0
I don't even need separate sliders (though that would be optimum), my point was it would be enough if the main menu music file had a distinct filename and would only be used during main menu, so you can leave that one in, and remove or rename the other sound files to disable them during battle.

Upvote 0
I like the music- some of the scores really add tension and atmosphere to the game. But it will get old soon and anyway I dont want to hear it all the time...I wish there was a hotkey for turning it on/off- as it is now we need to go through 3 menus to reach the slider.

you could use the console command to lower the music volume to 0 when you get tired of it.

To do this you open the console and type

MusicVolume 0

If you want to turn up the volume again sometime later you open the console and write

MusicVolume 0.55

(0.55 was just an example because that's the volume I use on my music, which is lower then the default setting)

Upvote 0
2 sliders would be quite nice, but I'd settle for anything that works better than having it off entirely, which is how I have it now. Having awesome sound/headphones etc... is a 1/4 of my skill :p ...and I've found the music messes with that.

This has happened to me several times.

Outta ammo.
Spot a weapon.
Break cover and stand in the open looking at the ground to pickup weapon.
Drop my weapon.
Pick my weapon up again.
Drop my weapon.
Try and get my aim just right to pick up the weapon I want.
Bullets are hittting around me.
Pick my weapon up again.
Curse!
Turn to throw my weapon far away.
See bad guy charging me with bayonet as I throw my empty weapon away.
Panic!
Throw 2 nades at close range.
Hop around trying to pick up anything!
Pick up my empty weapon again.
Catch bayonet in the face.
Teamates kill badguy who is crazily chasing me around in a circle with a bayonet.
Nades pop, killing teamates.

Man I got skillz....

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
The music is not selected randomly. But if you remove the files it defaults to the menu music I believe. It really is not that difficult to turn the music off with the volume slider. Right now it is all or nothing either you have both menu and game music on or off. Maybe down the line we will have time to make changes to separate these but at this time just use the music volume slider and turn it off if you do not want to hear it.

Sabu

Upvote 0
Okay, after further research: The problem with Lt. Kettch's solution is map specific.

Most map seem to not use the menu music file during battle, however RO-Manikalla or what it's called, the finish one, does.

There must be something in the map setup that defines with files will be picked. If each map has a hard-coded music file to it, maybe Manikala just happens to have the menu music hardcoded?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
you could use the console command to lower the music volume to 0 when you get tired of it.

To do this you open the console and type

MusicVolume 0

If you want to turn up the volume again sometime later you open the console and write

MusicVolume 0.55

(0.55 was just an example because that's the volume I use on my music, which is lower then the default setting)

But thats even worse than scrolling 3 menus...

Upvote 0