• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design RO-Kommissarhaus - Draft Document

I think I prefer to take the word of a german over a video which spells it wrong. Also to go by the many pictures I have seen of the geballte ladung which show a cluster of normal hand-grenade heads wrapped around 1 stick.

This particular unit will not be in the battle anyways and there will be pioneers (of course) carrying satchels as they will be required in order for the Germans to get ingress to the objectives

Upvote 0
I think I prefer to take the word of a german over a video which spells it wrong. Also to go by the many pictures I have seen of the geballte ladung which show a cluster of normal hand-grenade heads wrapped around 1 stick.
That's a gebalteladung, yes. But there was also a satchel charge, you can see one here:
http://www.redorchestragame.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15279&highlight=satchel

That video was from Forgotten Hope 2, it's historical accuracy is quite good, I'd say. But nevermind, as you said the Germans will have normal shambeh bambeh. :)

Upvote 0
Nestor, great idea and great start on your plan. If you need any help with the mapping, please ask. And if Capt. Obvious can get that new tank modeled, I will press Lex and Teufel into service to get it done for you. You were a big help with my 'Tractor Works' project, and I would be happy to help get some content done for you.

I will bear this generous offer in mind. Please bear in mind, however, that I am not very far into this map yet and the Capt O, as he said, has a lot on his plate - soe of which I guess you know about.

So far I have just:
  • put in the terrain (512x512 for added detail - hopefully I can make trenches with the main terrain rather than introducing extra terrain info actors),
  • done the skybox (had to add a custom texture as there are no satisfactory dawn skybox textures in RO),
  • blocked out the buildings (by using Jason's map as the base layer for my terrain),
  • dressed the park in undamaged state (so I can have fun destroying it - incidentally making it more realistic) and
  • started work on the interior of the KH (it really is an impressive fort - I am going to have to work hard on balancing this map).
I will be working on textures for the terrain and streets soon and will post them here as an asset for other mappers.

I am toying with the idea of giving the Soviets very limited ammo (like 2 clips), meaning they have to scavenge in the battlefield. This will also hopefully encourage a lot of the gritty H-to-H combat that characterised house clearance in Stalingrad.

LOL - I just tried googling "sig33b" to get some info about the rate-of-fire and possibly gun pics for the interior, and found that this thread is number 3 in Google. :D

Primary Armament150mm Stu. I.G. L/11Ammunition Carried30Traverse (degrees)Manual (3

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I am toying with the idea of giving the Soviets very limited ammo (like 2 clips),
Is it possible? I know many players wanted such feature with Pfaust, as now every soldier can carry 3 of them, plus the regular main weapon, which is not so realistic, but some mapper said it's quite hard to implement.

I'll try asking about SIG33 on the main Russian historical forum, hopefully there will be someone who knows. :)

Upvote 0
I am confused by the entry for the SIG 33 L/11 in wikipedia which says the rate of fire is 3 rounds/10 min for the field artillery piece - 3 rounds in 10 minutes? surely not! I know that things would be slower inside a metal box but what would the actual rate of fire be, bearing in mind the crew were fairly inexperienced? - armour wonks please post.
Well, one guy told me that there's a typo. Correct rate of fire is 3 rounds in 1 minute.

Upvote 0
OK - that makes sense and sounds about right. Thanks.

Here is the first texture I have made for this - I am trying to save on the use of meshes on the sidewalk/pavement by making the kerb using textures. There wil be scorch marks and stuff projected onto a lot of surfaces so I chose not to make the concrete too messed up but fairly grungey.

kerb_concrete_01.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The people most likely to want textures are mappers such as yourself who can open custom maps in the SDK, export the texture and use it themselves - I don't see the need for packages. I'm just posting these now in case anyone needs new stuff right now and can't wait.

What would be nice would be a catalogue of textures similar to Chernuk's Static Mesh catalogue, which I still make extensive use of. Trouble is, you need someone with a helluva lot of time on their hands to make that.

Upvote 0
OK - a few exterior shots to whet the appetite:

haus56.jpg

This is a shot taken over the top of Haus 56 (just a solid block at the moment) across the junction of Ulitsa Arbatovkaya and Prospekt Lenina towards the 'P-Shaped House' on the other side of the park. You can see some red lines and text from the terrain's bottom layer - which is the composite google/schematic map from page 1 of this thread.

khpark.jpg

This is a bit closer. Obviously the buildings are all going to be totally messed up in the final map but I want to build the area up as it would be before the bombs hit then go in putting in craters, shell scars and so and working out where the rubble and debris would fall.

The Kommissarhaus/P-Shaped House consists of about 1000 BSP brushes and approx 30 zones so far - it is a maze inside and I still haven't put the roof on or started destroying the walls. This is going to take quite some time.

Upvote 0
I bought it (cost 8 bucks from HDR Mill ). I am unable to give my permission to other mappers to copy it so, if they do so, they are breaching copyright. In fact, maybe I am also breaching copyright by using it for a publicly distributed map. :s

I also have some other, not quite so high res, skydome textures which I might be persuaded to share - please PM me and let me know the exact kind of skydome you have in mind.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Here are a couple of textures I will be using in the map:

CopperTiles_01L.jpg

I will probably have to go over this with a dry-brush burn tool on a grey layer with soft-light blending once I start messing up the map with shellholes, burns etc. But I will wait and see how much it needs. The shadows may look a bit weird in nearly vertical light - we'll see. Depending on how many textures I end up using I may also drop it down to 512x512 as it is not going to be near players.

This next is from one of my favourite sources of grungy building textures: South London railway stations :D I am very happy with this texture and it is going to be used in several different situations - just to get the maximum use out of it.

BrickWall_02L.jpg

Upvote 0