• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Convince me to buy this game.

Essentialy i played the Original DoD since beta 1.0, it was good but never was quite what i was looking for. I always figured they'd eventually get around to adding the features i wanted in a WW2 fps.

Then one day i heard about a mod that just came out called Red Orchestra, Beta 1.0 had a download and i could never go back to DoD afterwards. Sure i tried DoD Sauce when it came out, but its nothing i can go back to.

RO just feels better, i think it looks better too sure it dosen't have pointless bloom and useless graphics effects but its dark and gritty and dosent feel like a cartoon like DoD

Upvote 0
You said that you're rig is nearly 3 years old.

You should post specs and we will tell you if it runs it or not !

There is My personal Minimum requirement.

P4 2400mhz with 1 gig ram
P4 Celeron 2800Nhz MINIMUM.
AMD AthlonXP2400 @ 2.0Ghz with 1 gig ram
AMD Duron 2800
Any Videocard with a half decent GPU and MINIMUM 64mb ram will work.

This is for the game to be resonably playable.

I play it on
1800 mghz
1024 MB RAM
Radeon X850

with most things on high, no problems. Only the very large maps eat my fps up.
and yeah, i need a CPU upgrade :rolleyes: planning on buying a whole new computer soon:D

Upvote 0
There are only about 3 live servers left. Which is probably why I'm trying to convince more people to come to the mod:p Also when the servers get to 25 people then things start to suck and everything turns into one big frag fest:mad: Also the mod works on Linux and macs which is why I like it better.
*slayer_2

Dont talk family matters among strangers!

Upvote 0
Ugh, don't leave us hanging in suspense!

Do you like it or not!?

Well, I got my nostromo speed pad all set up, and got into the single player game just to try out my bindings. I liked how there are options to set the font size for the hud. I didn't notice any binding to switch to grenades. Is "Next Weapon", "Best Weapon" and "Previous Weapon" the only commands available?

It looks better than I expected. I left it on the default settings except changed the screen size from 800x600 to 1024x768. Do you know if the game detects my hardware and sets the defaults accordingly?

I don't remember the name of the map I played, but it was the second one on the practice list if that helps. I didn't have much time to spend on it, but I did experience being fired on by an MG, with the motion blur it was pretty cool.

My first kill was a friendly:eek:. I was wondering why that guy didn't see me:p

I was trying to aim down the iron sites, and they wouldn't come up. Took me a few seconds to remember that I had to click the left mouse again to cock the rifle.

I only spent maybe 5 minutes playing, I'll spend some quality time with it tonight and let you know how it went.

with most things on high, no problems. Only the very large maps eat my fps up.

How do I monitor fps? What's the command?

It's 15 dollars you hobo.

EDIT: Ok, I see he bought it.

Actually I haven't bought it yet. aktionman was kind enough to give me his guest pass. And it's $15.95 not $15!;) Really it's more about time commitment than money.

Upvote 0
How do I monitor fps? What's the command?
Bring down the console with the standard ~ key and type "stat fps" to turn on the monitor

A couple of extra bits of info for free - if you do what a lot of us do and bind the scoreboard to a key (like Tab, which I think most of us use) and you die/spawn with the scoreboard up, it gets stuck and pressing your scoreboard key simply turns it off only as long as you hold the key. This catches out a lot of people who are new to the UT2/2.5 engine. If it happens, just press F1, which is a scoreboard toggle.

Also, you can get some more detailed network stats by pressing F6, but how useful most of them are is debatable. Pretty much the only thing of relevance is the ping and that's also on the scoreboard, but I find it handy when I'm on foreign servers so I can, at any given moment, glance at it and gauge how far I need to lead my shot.

Lastly, once you do get onto a live server, be careful with your TK's. Bots don't care, but people do. Even if they know you're a newbie, there's only so many times you can drill a teammate before players get a little... er... testy? Same goes for role selection. I'd advise you to steer clear of commander classes until you're more familiar with the game, as they control artillery and if you don't know what you're doing with it (or don't use it at all) you'll incur the wrath of the locals. Everything else is fair game though, provided you get to a class before someone else does.

Besides that, have fun and don't get too frustrated if you get stomped to begin with. I doubt there was a single person who didn't get flat out owned the first time they took the game online.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the tips Chicken.

I played for a few hours last night, it was pretty good. I held my own pretty well for not knowing the maps at all. I was impressed with the textures on some of the maps, and the detail. Very nice. I have to admit, it's hard to get used to not knowing where your teammates are. I found myself looking for the radar window in the upper right corner as in DoD.

I got kicked off one server for too many TKs. That's part of not knowing the maps. I didn't know where the other spawn points were and didn't realize that my teammates would be coming from that direction.

Sometimes the only way to know if it's an enemy is when he kills you.

The time to respawn was shorter than I thought it would be.

I wasn't too hot on the tank map I played. Mostly because I had no idea what to do. But, I stayed in and learned some things. Mostly that it's hard to beat players who know what they're doing. I frustrated some experienced tank drivers. I kept over compensating for ballistics and would over shoot the targets.

The sound effects are pretty cool though, with the tank shells flying around. The APCs (or what ever they are) seemed pretty useless as there weren't many infantry to mow down with the machine gun.

Seems like a fun game, I'll play some more and see if I can get a better feel for the game play. Hopefully find some servers with some good teamwork going.

Upvote 0
Enemies normally run at you shooting :p But anyway I don't get angry when a new player kills me, i get mad when a new player kills me for my weapon (Which has yet to happen). I play cautiously, by that I mean see if others are shooting at the same person. Enemy MG's usually have enemies around them so toss nades at em. Lets see... Rifles are great for everything, sometimes. Watch out for jerks with satchels.

Upvote 0
OK, I've been reading the forums and learning about the game and trying to decide if I should spend the money, as well as the time to get up the learning curve, and start playing this game.

And now that the update is out and it's 20% off on Steam, it's now or never. Give me the pros and cons. I've been playing DoD and DoD:S. Are the maps in RO that much bigger and open? Is the realism any higher?

Thanks in advance,

Wurum

That was back in May. I guess it wasn't "now or never". I never bought the full game before the 20% discount was lifted on 06/11. But now I have another chance! I had uninstalled the game just a few weeks ago, so last night I dl'd i again, and I'll re-evaluate over the weekend.

I remember from the guest pass I got back in June, something about the game that frustrated me. I wish I could remember what it was to see if the summer update fixed it. I thought I posted about it in this forum. Maybe I'm thinking about another game.

Anyway, I do remember coming to the conclusion that my frustrations with DoD:S were what drove me to trying RO:Ost. And I remember, after using the guest pass, realizing that, although they were different, there were still things that frustrated me in RO:Ost. Namley players who seemed to be insanley good. I know they weren't cheating, I was just having a hard time dealing with their ability. Playing on a small map with huge numbers of players and all you have is a rifle, you tend to get mowed down a lot by players who know the map well and have the sub machine gun type weapons.

I remember going back to DoD:S after playing RO:Ost for a week and totally owning everyone. My aim got much better by playing RO:Ost, you have to spec enemies a lot earlier, and get that shot dead on the first time, or you're toast.

Upvote 0
The trouble you're experiencing is something that most (if not all) of us veteran players went through when we started playing RO. Now, I've been accused of cheating several times by new and experienced players alike.

I also used to play DoD and DoD:S (very shortly). After starting RO and getting my *** kicked initially, I learned how much more important positioning and cover were in this game. Once I learned that and got familiar with the maps and weapons, I began doing much better. At this point, I REALLY began to enjoy the game, it's attention to detail, and it's capacity for great teamwork. Keep learning and find some good people to play with (not hard in this game) and you'll likely be rewarded with a great sense of enjoyment.

Here are some tips for being a bolt-action rifleman:

If you are the bolt-action rifle class, I have two words for you: cover and grenades! Unless your target is stationary or distant, the easiest weapon to use at medium range is not your rifle, but your grenades! Learn how to prime them and throw them accurately.

As for cover, because you'll be shooting one shot at a time, make it count; you need to steady your weapon whenever you can! Use cover for this and to protect yourself from other riflemen. Expose as little of your body to your enemy as you can.

Also, between inherent inaccuracy and dramatic bullet drop over distance, submachine gunners can hardly hit you past medium ranges, so try to engage them on your terms. Do NOT get close to an assault trooper if you have a bolt action (unless you can sneak up on him and stick him with your bayonet).

Finally, if you're in a close quarters map, if you see a semi-auto/fully automatic weapon on the ground, pick it up. I'm a good bolt-action rifleman, but I'm not dumb! Adapt to the environment and you will survive.

Upvote 0
Finally, if you're in a close quarters map, if you see a semi-auto/fully automatic weapon on the ground, pick it up. I'm a good bolt-action rifleman, but I'm not dumb! Adapt to the environment and you will survive.

dont forget the ammo:D
sure some things in RO is hard to accept at first.. but i think it's because dieing in other games is much more of a loss then in RO..
as long as you contribute to your team in RO your a good player more or less..
in DOD if you die.. you are not contributing anything..

actually playing against really good players is good.. makes you better.. playing against easy once wont make you better.. at least not as fast.

Upvote 0