• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

4000 meter view range!

No map uses it. BDJ doesn't use it on purpose because the mapper was trying to create an atmosphere where the engagement range would be not much higher than 700-800m (due to rain and fog). Orel, well, Orel has languished in development for a while, only recently being somewhat updated.

I think mappers don't use this because they're afraid the 4000m viewdistance will kill processors and graphics cards, due to how much stuff will be rendered. Plus I'm unsure as to how well you'd be able to see that far away anyway. I don't know if the various tanks use different optical zooms on their gunsights, so that could be an issue as well.

Upvote 0
And Orel with 4000m viewdistance would lead to spawncamping.
See this pic:

That's me shooting at the first russian spawn from the central hill.
I've played "Road To Orel" once, which had an increased view range.
I know that on this version the German spawn is behind a little hill, presumably to stop this sort of thing.
And I didn't see the Russian spawn, so I guess they had a similar set-up.

Upvote 0
Honestly, what is the need for a 4000 meter range anyway (that is 2.5 miles by the way). The only thing that would be effective at that range would be calling in artillery and even then the issue of being able to see a target to justify calling it in would be suspect. With the naked eye, it is almost impossible to see anything as small as even a vehicle at 4000 meters and only now are there weapon systems which can target effectively out to distances like that. Modern tanks (M1A2, Challenger 2, T80, LeClerc, etc.) are hard pressed to destroy anything beyond 3500 meters and that is with modern laser range finders, gun stabilization, computer corrected deflection, and just a LOT of skill on the part of the gunner.

As for calling in artillery, seeing any target at that range is unrealistic. With the assistance of binoculars, you might be able to see vehicles and that is only with REALLY clear environmental conditions. Possibly with a good set of range finders (para-scope looking things) you could see targets out that far, but it isn't reasonable to think of a squad leader would be carting one of those around so they could spot out to 4000 meters and call arty in.

But these ramblings are just my personal opinion on a range that long.

Upvote 0
Honestly, what is the need for a 4000 meter range anyway (that is 2.5 miles by the way). The only thing that would be effective at that range would be calling in artillery and even then the issue of being able to see a target to justify calling it in would be suspect. With the naked eye, it is almost impossible to see anything as small as even a vehicle at 4000 meters and only now are there weapon systems which can target effectively out to distances like that. Modern tanks (M1A2, Challenger 2, T80, LeClerc, etc.) are hard pressed to destroy anything beyond 3500 meters and that is with modern laser range finders, gun stabilization, computer corrected deflection, and just a LOT of skill on the part of the gunner.

As for calling in artillery, seeing any target at that range is unrealistic. With the assistance of binoculars, you might be able to see vehicles and that is only with REALLY clear environmental conditions. Possibly with a good set of range finders (para-scope looking things) you could see targets out that far, but it isn't reasonable to think of a squad leader would be carting one of those around so they could spot out to 4000 meters and call arty in.

But these ramblings are just my personal opinion on a range that long.

Not too mention that tanks in WW2 could not engage targets at those distances. The longest shots fired by tanks in WW2 was only out too about 1000m. At that was pushing it quite alot back then.

Upvote 0
Honestly, what is the need for a 4000 meter range anyway (that is 2.5 miles by the way).[...]
Reconnaissance, reconnaissance, reconnaissance ... did I say reconnaissance? Something that is hardly used today.
It does not mean that you have to identfy the target, just knowing that there are targets heading that way could add some tactical parts.
You could react and think about a way to attack targets you can see before they could even hit you.

Nevertheless it depends on the mappers if it will be worth anything, but I'm optimistic on that part. :)

Upvote 0
Knowing a target is moving through an area is fine, but using that information to guide your plans can be dangerous. The opportunity to change direction, while out of line of sight, is too great to rely on sighting a target at 2.5 miles, to set your defense or an ambush. I would never have relied on that intel unless I was able to tract them the entire time from the point of discovery to the point of engagement as a company commander, that would just be setting myself up for a disaster to happen. Remember, any leader is trained to use their brain and utilize every resource they have to close and defeat the enemy and terrain is a major resource.

And how often can you actually look out 4000 meters, even if you wanted to. To see that range usually requires you to be on high ground to see over the natural contours of the ground. If you aren't, then every time the ground drops you'll loose sight of your target and they gain the chance to surprise you by changing direction and using the terrain against you. So that puts you on the high ground, which naturally advertises you to every enemy with the ability to fire on you. If artillery support is plentiful, then I'm calling it in on every piece of high ground I see to keep your head down because I can be at a much lower elevation and still see you without exposing myself to all of my enemies. Also, I'm harder to spot since the high ground limits your ability to hide while the lower elevations make up the majority of the map.

@CounTer: The most likely reason for the ranges being out of 3000 meters on the tank sights is there ability to fire in an over watch capacity. You would not engage a tank at that range, but you could sit on a hilltop and lob HE rounds on an objective to keep the defenders' heads down while your infantry moves forward. Being able to see and sight out to 3000 meters does not mean you are meant to hit anything specific. At that range, all you would be doing was firing area fire with the intent to harass or disrupt, not to engage anything smaller than a house (a large one at that).

Upvote 0
It does not mean that the intel you get should be the only thing you base your decisions on and I never suggested that.
What is more usefull, knowing that 3 vehicles drive to XY or knowing nothing?
If you see 5 vehicles sticking together you know that you'll have a hard time somewhere. Yet if you prepare your defense an unflexible way it is your fault and does not make the initial decision to use intel bad.
I read a lot of accounts of disasters where no or only few intel was available that is why I believe intel is one of the most important things in an engagement.

It also does not mean that you constantly see 4000m, 4000m is just the top they included, I guess to be sure that all distances of any use could be realised by mappers.

Upvote 0
Hmm. I seem to remember engaging and hitting targets on 1500-2000 m ranges in the old Panzer Elite game (not the arcadyish shooter, the simulation) quite often in those long range African maps early in the campaign. Don't remember the exact distances, but I'm fairly sure it was something in the span I've given you. So, why not in RO?

Upvote 0
Well having a 4000m view range would be hard for those who have not the best computer. We have already seen what happens if a map is crowded with too many things like trees and bushes on the new Orel. The map laggs like hell even on good servers because it demands too much in conjunction with being able to see that far...and I estimate that it's possible to see just around 2500m on the map..

Upvote 0
Not too mention that tanks in WW2 could not engage targets at those distances. The longest shots fired by tanks in WW2 was only out too about 1000m. At that was pushing it quite alot back then.

"Autumn '44, an Elefant of schweren Heeres-Panzerjaeger Kompanie 614 (formerly 2./sPzJgAbt 653) knocked-out a T34 at 4500m (Combat History of schwere Panzerjaeger Abteilung 653).

The Ferdinand of an Uffz. Bohling of sPzJgAbt 654 apparently knocked-out an American Lend-Lease "General Lee" at 3000m on 23.7.44, and Fw. Kurt Knispel destroyed a T34 at 3000m once in his Koenigstiger."

This one is just the 88, not a tank:
The Leibstandarte Vol-III "m Rudolf Lehmann,pp47.

" From the elevated Donez bank, the 1.(8.8cm )/Flakabteilung LAH (under Dr Loenicker) used 8.8centimeter Flak guns and its heavy rangefinder to achieve targeted firing on the Russian tanks from a distance of between six and nine kilometers. The Kompanie was able to set nine tanks on fire and drive the rest back into the Balkas."

Upvote 0
3000m kills are lucky shots, mostly. Certainly against a moving target they are.

You wouldn't have to make the view distance the full 4000m, but increasing viewdistance to at least 2000m would have a HUGE impact on tank maps. It'd require actual maneuvering, and would begin to really highlight the difference between German and Russian armor and cannons.

My one question is whether the RO optics are set up to show real-world zoom levels, or if they were "scaled" for the short-range tank maps we have in game.

Upvote 0