• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Fallout 3....

nice music - nice concept art

Developers who don't know what's the R in RPG. :rolleyes: I wish it comes out good although I strongly doubt it. From the vague interviews they've given, I've gathered that they'll ditch the isometric view and turn based system which makes the game non-falloutish already. I'm expecting Oblivion with guns as unhappy people tend to describe it.

Upvote 0
Im actually playing F2 now becasue I bought it way back but never played it. Personally, seems that bethesda is trying for the most-epic-game-in-forever feel again like they did with oblivion. This is especially evident in the new homepage music (which they are getting a bit of guff for). And I suppose thats fine and all, but its bit of a shock for thouse that were won over by the dystopic leave-it-to-beaver flavor of the first two. That fallout homepage music just doesnt seem to fit Pipboy for some reason.

060512_pipboy.jpg

Upvote 0
I've been reading the forums rather extensively, espesically dev interviews, and it's sounding particularly bad. The leader Todd Blablabla is particularily worrying. He cites EA Games as a company he admires... He plays his Xbox360 on his days off and he has 'played fallout 2 for a few hours, and kinda enjoyed it'. He also thinks that Oblivion revolutionsed RPG's. (i suppose in the sense that there was no roleplaying or anything other then mindless fighting and crappy plots)

There also making sure that it's all inhouse, meaning no criticism allowed, so we'll probalby end up with ****ty ideas coming to fruition, like that atrocious 'conversation wheel' bull****.

Sigh, i might sound a bit bitter but it's really not looking very good from what ive read.

Upvote 0
LOTR
C&C
Golden Eye
Sims
BF - (its hard to believe they can keep getting worse)
SS3 (prediction, and Ill bet anyone decimals to dollars that SS3 will be the cult let-down of the decade.)

EA is in the business of buing games TO ruin them. That is how they make money.
Like EA has anything to do with Fallout...

Upvote 0
Well I played the Fallout 2 and I thought is was Meh...

I actually prefer a 3D first person approach myself...YMMV... :cool:

If it turns out like Mad Max in first person, I'm all for that!
Kind like Stalker on steroids I guess :D

No problem with a game like that if it wasn't called Fallout. But if you label it as Fallout you better stick to what is associated with the brand, LIKE isometric perspective, turn based combat, and more importantly NO political correctness.

I never understood why Publishers and large companies have to buy a good brand and turn it into a "kiddysized" one... that way they alienate the existing fanbase, and I don't think that the name "Fallout" appeals to anyone who doesn't know and appreciate the series more than any other generic name...

Upvote 0
true
but times change, tech gets better, things move on....

Technology has advanced so that game looks prettier while the actual gameplay has been dumped down to console level. Sure, consoles are great for platformers, some 3rd person action and racing games but leave my FPS and roleplaying games alone! In this era of multiplatforming, it's us, the PC gamers, who suffer.

Real-time system doesn't translate to "better and improved" system: Fallout 1 and 2 have far better gameplay mechanics in terms of combat and environment interaction than "Oblivious".

I wish someone would have borrowed the mechanics from Operation Silent Storm for FO3, there's one awesome turnbased combat game. :(

Upvote 0
I bet there won't even be children in the game.
Haha. In Fallout 2 children were cut out in the German version because it was possible to kill them. Every quest involving one was about rescueing them or something, but if you were sick enough you could attack them so they cut them out.
This is ridiculous. I'm gonna go back to my xbox now without further thinking about it because cencorship makes me angry as hell. :mad:

Upvote 0
No problem with a game like that if it wasn't called Fallout. But if you label it as Fallout you better stick to what is associated with the brand, LIKE isometric perspective, turn based combat, and more importantly NO political correctness.

I understand where you are comming from but I dont think that you can really expect too many people to follow your purist mantra to the degree you are arguing. Hell, some purists even say that if the setting isnt in Southern Cali then its not a true sequel. Sure, if devs want to use an existing title they should heavily consider its history, but even the original dev team would consider doing something more than a modish add-on looking sequel. Technologies change and I dont see any problem with taking advantages of them to create a better game. I see NO problem with ditching the Isometric view, changing the setting, or even modifying the game mechanics. THe heart of Fallout was not the little transparent circle that floated around your character, but the flavor atmosphere and freedom of the Fallout world.

I never understood why Publishers and large companies have to buy a good brand and turn it into a "kiddysized" one... that way they alienate the existing fanbase, and I don't think that the name "Fallout" appeals to anyone who doesn't know and appreciate the series more than any other generic name...
They do it because there are magnitudes more kiddysized players out there then fanbase players. ITs just a fact and most publishers exist only for one reason.

Upvote 0