• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

i hope tripwire is still interested in making a r.o. type game on consoles.

I personaly play from a recliner. Feet up and nice and comfy.sounds like you may just need to readjust the way you have the computer set up. I have some pretty screwed up wrists due to years of mountain biking and i can play comfortably. Just need to find whats comfortable and use a high mouse setting so you dont move it much. My mouse never moves more then a inch in any direction while i play. It sits about a inch lower then my arm rest for that arm so my wrist is in a nice relaxed position not angled up like most have it at computer desks. Then i just set a keyboard right on my lap while i play and keep the moniter just to the left of my foot rest. very comfy very relaxed. That set up with a good egronomic keyboard makes a world of diffrence. I personaly cant sit at a normal computer desk for more then 10 min without getting bad wrist pain from typing and using the mouse but i can sit here for hours without any problem at all.

You just need to stop and think about what angles your wrists natrualy sit at then try to duplicate it with your gaming setup. Then burn the evil computer desk. They are nothing but trouble.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823109148

Thats the keyboard im using now. kinda on the expensive side but its well worth it. makes a huge diffrence. took me about a week to adjust to typing on the split keyboard design but that was about 4 years ago and i havnt looked back since. Before i changed to it i couldnt type more then a few min without severe wrist pain. Now i only get it when i use other computers with the normal style keyboard or a poorly placed mouse.
QFT

i have a microsoft ergo 4000, worth every penny that went into paying for it. a very comforatble keyboard, also it has a built in wrist pad thats is VERY comfortable.

Upvote 0
Consoles do have their own limitations and I agree - crappy ports fail usually somewhere more or less, either gameplaywise or visually.

But then, console shooters are not that bad neither. Everyone keeps saying about that "zomg every console game do have autoaim!!!", well I agree that most does, but that is just way too generalized BS. I know what you mean, but I just find it kinda sad that 3\4 of people just keep saying it while they might have not played any console shooter at the first place, E.G.:

RE4 doesn't have crosshairs or autoaim. Every (normal) weapon features a laser sight which is your 'crosshair' but you can't move while aiming.
BiA console versions don't have autoaim neither and while it does have crosshair by default you can turn it off.
Syphon Filters (atleast PS1 1-3) don't have real autoaim. There is this quickaim button so it 'locks' the closest target automatically but your accuracy sucks that way 3\4 of time, and the game doesn't really have crosshair (well you get 'crosshair' if you use the so-called special aiming button but you can't move then).
Medal of Honor (atleast PS1 ones) don't have autoaim and you can get crosshair only if you press R2 button but you can't move then neither.

And there's quite a few more of good examples about some sort of console shooter that doesn't have autoaim or 'true' crosshairs while it still WORKS well and aiming is only a matter of skill :p

Upvote 0
Forget it, Oldih. Argueing about consoles vs. pc is like a religion thread. It leads nowhere.
Those who have a console know that the games work great and that even WITH autoaim they are very fun to play and those who don't have a console stage the ubersophisticated pc players who would never betray themselves to play a game with [spooky-voice] autoaim [/spooky-voice].

Saying that console games would sukk because they are noobified, consolized or whatever words need to be made up to express something similar, is nothing but ignorant.

Games aren't ruined because they are "consolized" but they are ruined because they are made for the massmarket (and that spans the consoles too).*
CoD2 wasn't ruined because there was a weaponswitch button instead of the ability to scroll between your two weapons (doh. Difference? Yes, you poor pc players weren't used to it. You have my compassion, but on the other hand you complain if a game holds your had all the time...), it wasn't ruined because of the grenade-button (which is also found in H&D2 and that's a pc game and a realistic one at that, and by the way for a fast paced game, andd CoD2 is one, a grenade button is awesome) and it wasn't ruined by some icons for grenades (which has nothing to do with consoliation because I don't know of any console game with that feature. Similar things can be seen in space sims but other than that,...) and the icons for the otherwhise awesome mantling function.
It wasn't ruined by the recharging health either. Like it or not, its a matter of opinion. I think its great, because it makes people use more cover. If you want I can explain to you why (not theoretically as some of the made up sugestion threads on this board, but from practical experience in games that feature it like Halo 1 and 2, CoD2, etc.) and it forgives smaller tactical mistakes so you don't have to abuse the quicksave function like in CoD1 on hard, while it still punishes more severe tactical mistakes.

The game was ruined because they thought they had to top the action of CoD1 and they went way over-the-top with that. The game felt like "Serious Sam goes ww2" and THAT's what made it bad. Not the so-called "consolization".
Its the same that made the Medal of Honor expansions bad. Allied Assault was a cool game for its time, but in Spearhead and Breakthrough (especially in Breakthrough, Spearhead was still playable) they went over-the-top. Too many stupid worthless enemies who are only a challenge because they are that many.

Upvote 0
FPS games on Wii aren't as fun as you think they are.

Well, Red Steel has a very intuitive control setup, and immersive too. Sure the rest of the game is like a poor blockbuster b-movie, but the controls are good enough. Reload with gestures, throwing grenades with gestures, hearing clicking noises come from the controller when you reload, force feedback when you fire, that's the sort of stuff that makes an immersive game like RO even better right? It might not be pixel accurate like a mouse (what is realistic about that anyway), but it has other strengths and merits that a keyboard+mouse setup will never have. It's just a little short-minded to assume a console version of RO would be the exact same game but with different controls. With a wildly different control type, you have to build the game around it so it works well. (Reason why many ports on the wii just suck)

I think, if done correctly it could feel a lot more realistic than a pc game ever can. The biggest problem is that the wii market isn't well suited for history buffs and realism or gun freaks (just to generalise), these guys tend to play on the pc more, so you have better odds of making money by releasing on the pc format than a console. The wii is doing so well because of more casual type games, party type games and maybe the virtual console as well, but not because of slower paced realistic tactical shooters.

Upvote 0
Well, Red Steel has a very intuitive control setup, and immersive too. Sure the rest of the game is like a poor blockbuster b-movie, but the controls are good enough. Reload with gestures, throwing grenades with gestures, hearing clicking noises come from the controller when you reload, force feedback when you fire, that's the sort of stuff that makes an immersive game like RO even better right? It might not be pixel accurate like a mouse (what is realistic about that anyway), but it has other strengths and merits that a keyboard+mouse setup will never have. It's just a little short-minded to assume a console version of RO would be the exact same game but with different controls. With a wildly different control type, you have to build the game around it so it works well. (Reason why many ports on the wii just suck)

I think, if done correctly it could feel a lot more realistic than a pc game ever can. The biggest problem is that the wii market isn't well suited for history buffs and realism or gun freaks (just to generalise), these guys tend to play on the pc more, so you have better odds of making money by releasing on the pc format than a console. The wii is doing so well because of more casual type games, party type games and maybe the virtual console as well, but not because of slower paced realistic tactical shooters.

We (or Wii?) need a controller that's a rifle, like Silent Scope or something.
:D

Upvote 0
Beter idea would be that when buying RO:Wii you get set of each gun that you connect to wii, everyone is 'replica' of the one we see ingame.

And you musth ave the correct gun(s) connected to the console in order to use it, and when you aim with the gun it brings up ironsight automatically ingame and such.

And also you get replica models of tanks cockpits also. And the correct one must be also connected in order to drive a tank.

Upvote 0
but in Spearhead and Breakthrough

Spearhead wasn't actually really that bad. Sure it had some annoying parts (like that assault in Bastogne or something, can't remember), but most of the time you had teammates to be your meatshield and the enemies just didn't pop out from nowhere.

BT is just... well, I don't even want to mention it. Last time I did it I wrote enough negative material to make a "LotR" called "How much Medal of Honor - Breakthrough sucks" :D

Upvote 0
Well i doubt you can simulate shooting as accuratly as in ro on a console.

Get me a Wiimote add-on with a plastic stock and some gunsights and we'll see about that. :D Something a little more realistic than this, with an actual trigger and forward/rear sights:

(Click to view full-size)

As far as connecting game controllers to the PC, I've already tied my Wiimote to my PC via Bluetooth. The problem is that, without the sensor bar also tied in, you can only sense roll and pitch, not movement in 3D space.

Upvote 0