• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map RO-Valley of Death Beta 1

Reservoir Dog

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 7, 2007
vodtitlejz6.jpg

History:

The Carpatho-Dukla operation was began by the Soviet Army on September 8, 1944. The strategic Dukla Pass cuts through the Carpathian Mountains in Northwestern Slovakia. If wrestled from the Germans the Carpathian mountain passes (particularly Dukla Pass) would be opened to the Soviet military for a rapid descent from Poland into the Hungarian Plains. Yet the battle for control of this key region in Eastern Slovakia did not end with the capture of the Dukla Pass by the Soviets. Between Oct. 25-27, on the road between the Dukla Pass and Svidnik , in the farms and villages of the Kapisova Brook Valley, occurred one of the hardest fought tank battles of World War II, which then became the "Valley of Death."

On Oct. 19, 1944 General K.S. Moskalenko, the commander of the Soviet 38th Army and attached 1st Czechoslovak Army, received a directive from Marshal I.S. Konev, commander of the 1st Ukrainian Front, criticizing him for the recent unsuccessful attacks south of Dukla Pass and ordered him to prepare his next attack. Gen. Moskalenko assembled five rifle divisions (211th, 241st, 305th, 359th and 70th Guards) under 67th Rifle Corps and deployed 703 guns and mortars in the main breakthrough sector. The attack was supported by the remnants of the 4th Guards Tank Corps, (12th Guards Tank Brigade), 31st Tank Corp, and 1st Czechoslovakian Tank Brigade and was preceded by mine clearing of the key approaches. The attacking force was opposed by 1st Panzer Army's Armeegruppe “Heinrici” (1st, 8th, and 24th Panzer Divisions) three Sturmgeshutze (StuG) Brigades (300th, 301st, and 311th) and two recently replenished German Infantry Divisions (168th and 357th).

On October 6 following nearly 30 days of fighting in the Dukla Pass, German troops began to draw back 5 to 10 kilometers south to avoid the danger of encirclement. The battle in the "Valley of Death" began at 11:20 PM on Oct. 24th. The Allied attack was preceded by an 80 minute artillery barrage and aerial attacks. In the early hours of Oct. 25th, fog and heavy rainfall which had impeded the Allied advance began to subside. The Soviet attack was met by the German fire of 17 artillery and 20 mortar batteries which fired over 7,500 rounds that day. The Soviet in turn fired 32,000 artillery rounds and their Air Force, dropped 163 tons of bombs over the German positions.

The German resistance under the command of Generaloberst G. Heinrici, famous for his defensive tactics, was vigorous. At the village of Nizana Pisana the tanks of 12th Guards Tank Brigade encountered minefields and received heavy enemy fire. The brigade sustained heavy losses and after clearing the road of the mines, again moved forward. A heavy tank battle soon erupted. During the afternoon of Oct. 26, the 70th Guards Rifle Division, actively supported by tanks, captured Kapisova after heavy fighting, while the 305th Rifle Division took Dobroslava.

During the night of Oct 26 the German command reinforced the sector with the 168th Infantry Division. The Soviet attack on Oct. 27 again met fierce resistance from German armor, infantry, and artillery (7,500 rounds fired), along with repeated counterattacks that were supported by small groups of tanks (6 - 12). Despite heavy artillery (43,000 rounds) and aerial support the progress of 67th Rifle Corps was insignificant and the offensive was finally suspended. The Soviet advance after three days of near continuous fighting was only 6 km. During the less than 3 months of fighting in the Carpatho-Dukla operation, Allied forces suffered horrendous casualties. An estimated 84,000 Soviet soldiers were killed, wounded or missing, while the Czechoslovakians lost more than 6,000 soldiers. German casualties were estimated at 54,000 soldiers.

(History has been also included on the team selection page for both sides.)

Screenshots:

Team Load Outs:

Axis

Tanks: 2 Tiger 1s, 3 Panthers, 3 Panzer IV Hs, 2 Stugs, 2 Panzer IIIs.
Infantry: 3 Snipers, 2 MGers, 2 Anti-tanks, 2 Tank Commanders, Unlimited Tank Crew.
Transports: 4

Allies

Tanks: 4 IS2s, 4 T34s, 2 KV-1s, 2 SU-76s.
Infantry: 3 Snipers, 2 MGers, 2 Anti-tanks, 2 Tank Commanders, Unlimited Tank Crew.
Transports: 4

To clear buildings and other areas tanks can't reach, the tank personnel will have a choice of a SMG or rifle.

There are anti-tank weapons and radios located at the spawns, secondary objectives and the closest first objectives.

Requirements:

AHZ Guns installed on the server or the Tractorworks or Hubes Breakout maps already installed. http://www.after-hourz.com/index.php...l einfo&id=38

Though AB 2.XX mod is not required, it definitely adds to the experience of the map. Please try it with and without to judge for yourself. t=18029http://www.redorchestragame.com/foru...ad.php?t=18029

Satchel pick-up mod is embedded into the map and no additional files are required.

"Thanks":

I have had alot of help, influences, resources, and support for this map. Sorry if this list is long.

Mike Nomad and the RGN servers for doing extensive alpha testing of this map. The RGN forums has helped kick ideas around and lots of feedback in the developing stages.

One Shot for being the official historian on this project and extensive map tester. He will answer any questions or comments on the history side.

AHZ guys for making the AT gun and release to the public.

Worluk for the satchel pick-up mod.

Drecks for some insightful texturing suggestions.

Amizaur for verifying the AT role.

Exocet for the tower suggestion and weblinks.

For all of the alpha map testers who participated and gave feedback/comments:

Hauptscharfuhrer,[FKR]_SnoopWolf, Part_No.427G-9, LDBlues, [RGN]_SPARTAN,CartoonJoe, CharlieDontSurf, Capt_Caveman, {CuF}Rough_Rider, Fletch, Heinz, Guderian(GER), 101.SSCelticWereWolf, GillouH, Rapier_21, Nanner,<RTR>rec.Greylag,tsamptrail, [RGN]_HellHund (L_Dog),[RGN]_T3S (Tru3Slaughter),Drecks,Sgt. Drex, Scrappy, Oberstjohn, Horatio, Exocet & Amizaur.

Downloads:

Map file: http://files.filefront.com/7359837
Server uz2 file:http://files.filefront.com/7359852

Please let me know what you think. I encourage suggestions, comments, and feedback.

Reservoir Dog

Last edited:
Mueck

Mueck

Thanks Mueck for loading it up over at [PzDF]-RO-Servers. Please let me know what feedback you get. I have got some feedback already that this would make an good combined arms (infantry supporting tank) map. I may create another version of the map to reflect this. For the armor enthusists, please let me know your impression of this map as it is geared for you. Though it is an armor map, the infantry has some key roles to play.

There are satchel pick-ups and panzerfausts at spawns, secondary objectives (the barn and the farmhouse), and the closest first objectives (the church and the ammo depot). I'm seeing some players ignore the satchels. I'm hoping that the more people play, they will learn about these.

I have also got some suggestions that more AT guns for the Russians would be nice. If I go that way, I will have to open up more infantry roles. Please give your thoughts on that.

Reservoir Dog

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Deco Layers

Deco Layers

I enjoyed this map yesterday, Looks of a mountain around a map is wonderful.:)
It may become better if you add DecoLayers.

Just curious Tochiri, since you are a good map maker, what kind of decolayers would you use? Trees, grass, bushes, or rocks on the mountains?

One Shot had pulled a picture for me of a valley wall in the region:

peisajemunteromaniamuntzo9.jpg

and mine could use a little work:

mountainsgp9.jpg

The only thing that I'm worried about is a hit to the frames per second (map performance). Decolayers don't have collision so they would be better than static meshes, but it would have to be around the entire mountain range (entire map). Do you think I can add decolayers for detail and not suffer big performance issues?

Reservoir Dog

Upvote 0
Any more comments or suggestions?

Any more comments or suggestions?

Any comments or suggestions to the map? I am taking my time with beta 2 to watch some good battles on-line with beta 1 but need more feedback. How is balance, FPS, objective lay-outs, infantry and AT gun lay-outs? Please don't be shy (did I just say that?).

Upvote 0
Any comments or suggestions to the map? I am taking my time with beta 2 to watch some good battles on-line with beta 1 but need more feedback. How is balance, FPS, objective lay-outs, infantry and AT gun lay-outs? Please don't be shy (did I just say that?).

Found a little graphics glitch I guess you would call it tonight (very minor and in an obscure place) while playing the Valley of Death Beta 1 map on the <RTR> server way, way late (at least for me) and wanted to let you know before you release Beta 2. When you first enter the barracks area on your right is a pile of crates with a tarp over them. Go behind the crates and you will find a "floating mortar round" there. Took some screen shots and tried to post them here but got an error message file size exceeds limit, sorry. Other than that anomaly the FPS were good, game played smooth, from at least what I could tell.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This map is alot of fun and I wish it were hosted more often.
One suggestion tho:

Based on the historical account above, there was a sheissload of arty used during the battle. Given that there was also lots of pre-battle bombardment, I would suggest perhaps including more shellholes and destroyed/ damaged structures around the map, as well as the hated random arty round.

As I recall, the bldgs looked pretty pristine (like the warehouse? bunker bldg?). Again, given the scope of the fighting, maybe some more wear and tear would give it some more character.

Also, could you limit visibility more? I know the Panther/Tiger gunners hate it, but given the terrain/climate, there was probably a fair amount of mountain/valley fog in that area. Yes, I know this favors the Russians more, but would add a bit more realism IMHO.

Thanks for a cool map.

Upvote 0
This map is alot of fun and I wish it were hosted more often.

Also, could you limit visibility more? I know the Panther/Tiger gunners hate it, but given the terrain/climate, there was probably a fair amount of mountain/valley fog in that area. Yes, I know this favors the Russians more, but would add a bit more realism IMHO.

Thanks for a cool map.

Valley of Death is the "Featured Map" jump in, have some fun... :)

I agree with all your points but one.... start limiting visibility and you'll kill the map.. Instead of squawking about the visibility, USE it to your advantage. As a Russian Tanker, I use the distance view to great advantage. Try it.... you'll like it. :cool:

Upvote 0
Beta 2

Beta 2

@One Shot. I know the mortar shell you are talking about. It was suppose to be next to the mortars but got moved. I will correct in next version.

@Shchekurov. Glad your having fun with the map. The word "pristine" has been used before to describe the buildings. You have a good point that even more battle damage would add more character. I have talked to One Shot about adding some more damaged/destroyed buildings to the map. They would be more off to the side so they don't block the longer range tank attacks. I will look into adding shell damage to some of the existing buildings and wall.

A few more shell craters could be added. There are different size craters on the map to show the plane and mortar attacks. A few of them are big enough to be actual "tank stoppers" which I did on purpose. If I add more, I will probably have to fill in the tank stoppers so tanks aren't driving around an obstacle course. They also add a defensive spot for tanks and infantry. Adding the arty sound is possible. It won't be too loud, as being able to hear your enemies on the map is important.

Adding more fog would give it a nice look, but it would make the tank game more close combat. There are already moments when you come over a hill, go around a bend, or pop out of the central forest area and land right in front of an enemy tank. I love those moments. But the map does have to mix those with some long range tank fights too. There are alot of spots on the map that take advantage of a long ranged defense. So I will leave the fog as is right now.

@Mike. Thanks for running the map all yesterday.

Upvote 0
Beta 2

Beta 2

According to Finnish Front lines VOD_B1 has more than 2300 hours of manned play time in the last 30 days. This is awsome. Though it has not gotten alot of responses on this forum :confused: , it has caught on with several local servers and some overseas servers. I would like to thank the servers which have put the map in their rotation (in alpha order):
  • 44 Slots=OST Front CORBINA.ru Server #1
  • *DBDUK CLAN We have Panzer attack ferrets*
  • <RTR> Right to Rebel #2 Latest/Greatest Maps!
  • <RTR> Right to Rebel #3 Tanks*Low Ping*
  • [FLOT] Armor Maps w Armored Beasts v2.065
  • [PzDF] RO#2 -Custom-Maps only
  • FKs #4 CA/Tank Maps w/Armored Beasts 2.065! -FKMOD.COM
  • LUFTWAFFE GERMANY ALL WELCOME CUSTOM/realism
  • RGN RO:OST 41-45 AB 2.065 Armor Only (Fast ReDirect)
  • thedamnedpriests.de5 >TDP< Combined Arms
If I missed one please let me know.

What's next? Beta 2 is in the works and this is what will be in it:
  • Valley walls will be touched up to look more realistic
  • Map will support 50 players
    • Increase tank numbers
    • Increase reinforcement numbers
    • Increase spawn points
    • Incrrease infantry roles
    • Small increase to artillery
  • Tank killing craters will be more shallow, I will include some fox holes to provide infanty more cover
  • The couple of graphic glitches will be fixed (floating trees)
  • Would like to include the newer AT guns if they get released soon
  • More war damage
    • To existing military buildings
    • Include some out of the way destroyed buildings
    • little more smoke to some debris
    • tree stumps and charred trees from artillery attacks
  • More optimizations
  • Try to move radio and AT weapons away from tanks to help with "waiting on teammate" on tank deployment.
  • Include history revision
  • Bot support
  • Some background bombing sounds, not overwhelming
If there are questions, comments or suggestions to add to the list or what's on it please don't hesitate to post. I would like input on additional tanks and infantry roles. Thanks.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi Dog,

I actually got a chance to play this albeit in a "deathmatch" style mode (we agreed not to cap objectives). A couple of observations:

1. The "mountains" that form the borders of this map are a bit in your face. I would recommend toning them down a bit and try to blend them in with the rest of the terrain.

2. The objective where you have to cross a bridge to get to is a little difficult to accept, reality wise, but still a fun idea.

3. I found that, eventually, a lot of tankers tended to stick with the edges of the map. If you could figure out ways to either make that a little less rewarding or to make the center areas of the map more valuable, it might be a good idea.

4. I think the number of snipers is a bit of overkill. If you have an infantry component, you want it mainly to be anti-tank troopers, right? Any other infantry role is simple a counterbalance to the anti-tank troopers since they have reduced anti-tank capabilities of their own. On the other hand, the tanks themselves do pretty well in counterbalancing the anti-tank troops, so why have 3 snipers? Sure, the snipers can keep tankers heads in the turrets, but it feels like this is a secondary consideration. Support the primary theme of the map, which is ferocious tank combat. I'd suggest changing all the snipers to anti-tank troops. Keep the mgs for variety if you like, but they're value is limited as well.

All in all, it was a fun map to tank in. I found a couple of sneaky, out of the way positions to shoot Soviet tanks in the rear. A lot of fun until they finally figured out where I was.

Hope some of this helps.

Upvote 0
Glad you had some fun Dingbat. Wanted to say thanks for taking the time to look at it and give me an eval.

1. I'm going to try to work on the mountains to make it look more like a rock face with moss on it. I'm going to try to make it look more like the pic from One Shot and should blend better.

2. Yeah. Lol. I tend to think that it was an old fort ruin that the Axis took over and built a barracks inside. It does provide cover for tanks inside and some interesting infantry battles. Infantry can hold tanks off with pf and satchels on the top ramp over the main doors. But they are very vunerable if they are caught up there by enemies on the inside of the walls. The top ramp also makes a good sniper's perch covering about 1/3 of the map. I probably need to make it look more like ruins than something just built. I plan to add some shell damage to it too.

3. That barracks with the moat stops the Axis or Allies from flanking that side with tanks and forces them to battle in the middle close to the bridge. The treed area in the center with a big hill is the more covered direct route to the other side of the map. Tanks do have to do some manuevering and there is sometimes the pesky infantry with a pf hiding in there. The other side is more open and gives more of a tank distance fight. This is also the most direct route from Axis spawn to the church, so there will probably be alot of tank battles there. I will be adding some destroyed ruins on that side, probably close to the mountain to stop tanks from "hugging" the mountain the whole way.

4. If there are 14 or less people on a server, mostly the tank roles and maybe an at role gets filled. On a full server, the snipers are out and they seem to be very deadly and effective. I have provided snipers with alot of places to be effective, from the look-out tower, the church roof, the high ramp wall at the barracks, the top of the silos, the top of the bunker. the treed area in the center to being inside any of the objective buildings. They help to keep the at guys off of the tanks (this really helps to stop pf spamming), occasionally pop a tanker when he lifts his head out, and help stop infantry from rushing objectives (which is a good strategy when your tanks are being pawned). Once in a while there are stand-offs between just snipers and those are so cool. All of the main objectives can be captured from a tanker inside a tank, but they can all be held by infantry inside the building so I felt some anti-infantry roles (sniper and mg) could help with strategy. When I increase the roles for 50 players I doubt I will increase either the sniper or mg number. I might just add an assult role and increase AT role. This is just my thinking on the map design and what I have seen in battles.

Thanks again for your input. It will definitely influence the next beta.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I just wanted to jump in to say thank you for that map. I never played it on a full server yet but it was a blast (playing with AB) nonethless.

I love flanking the German tanks with my T34 and all these slopes make it possible. I flanked so many Panthers - some were distracted by other targets - a few minutes ago and most did not know what hit them from there, yeah! :)
OK this won't be that easy on a full server, but what I learned so far is that this is the only map that really plays into the strengths of the T34, many other maps like Orel, BDJ or Arad do not have much cover and so rather play into the strengths of the German tanks.
Here you can - at least with few enemies - approach a fiering position unseen and leave it unseen to enter another fireing position unseen. :)

I imagine that this map would be very intereseting with more players than I experienced so far - maybe too small, I don't know - especially with a team (reporting enemy tanks, snipers ... is very important here, many don't do it) that also conceives the IS2 as support that is "covered" by annyoing flanking-actions by the T34-wasps.

Upvote 0
Glad your having a good time with this map. I have seen a few battles on a full 32 and 44 servers. The battles and fighting seems pretty cool and intense (from a spectator's view). I have noticed on the 44 that player reinforcments do run out between 5-7 minutes left so no doubt the 50 player version will work better there.

Being able to out-manuver your opponents is what I was trying to do with this map. I'm glad you are able to take advantage of those tactics. Good snipers on your team will also help keep the enemy tanker's head inside and not be able look around too much at the landscape.

With the German Tigers, Panthers, and company, the IS2 does need to be supported by the T34s. Some of the close range fighting that happens, the IS2 slow reload makes it a nice target, but can deliver a nice punch once its there.

Upvote 0