• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

How to make Halftracks more useful?

HT is only used correctly if the map forces the team to use it correctly because else it would be too hard, like Smolensk. People see
"wait, this isn't going to work, what can we use to make it work"
they see a HT and use it.
The deal with maps like Arad is that the HT gives no direct preassure on the enemy forces when you use it correctly.

Upvote 0
I agree here I think that a map either has to use the HT as a troop carrier so that AT soldiers can keep up with the rest of the tanks. Or it has to be used as the best method of assaulting the opposition forced by the map. Impatience is also a big killer of the HT some drivers would rather drive directly into the enemy like Granny at the Farmers Market and everyone just bail out like gangbusters, that is if you didnt see this coming and bail out earlier.

Upvote 0
HT is only used correctly if the map forces the team to use it correctly because else it would be too hard, like Smolensk. People see
"wait, this isn't going to work, what can we use to make it work"
they see a HT and use it.
The deal with maps like Arad is that the HT gives no direct preassure on the enemy forces when you use it correctly.

on smolensk if you use the HT in a realistic way, your life expectancy will be of about 5 seconds. if you give covering fire from the rear to the advancing troops. the enemy mg will take you out in a matter of seconds. this could be solved by better protection. because at the moment the best way to use it on smolensk is to rush through the enemy lines and and start spawncamping.

they need better protection from MG fire, being able to shoot outside as a passenger, maybe open back doors, so you can walk in and out

Upvote 0
I think that embarking and disembarking animations might help here.
It would mean less Rambo, more teamwork.

Also, I want to introduce a brilliant feature from Battlefield 2:
Duck while using mounted weapons.

You press the duck key (or mouse scroll in RO's case), and your character ducks while behind a machinegun or something similar.
And maybe raising could be interesting aswell, so the operator can view for possible targets or threats.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This goes for all the armored transports. clowncar and all. The bug where a granade lands near the thing it kills the driver needs to be fixed. These things are armored a nade 10 feet away isnt going to be a instant kill for the driver. unless they have the hatch open or there head sticking out or whatever. Then changing the point of view for the MGer so they have there head closer to the veiw slot. so you have a wider veiw of everything instead of being leaned way back and just looking at the world through this tiny slot. Realisticly when you look through something like that your brain/eyes will block out the stuff on the sides and focus on whats through the slot. but this dosnt happen in the game at all. Can be kinda hard to identify targets through that. At least it is on my 19 inch screen. I imagine a 26 inch screen it wouldnt be as much of a problem.

Making it so these things dont get stuck so easy would also be a huge help. Right now any little bump in the road can stop them. or the slightest hill thats only a few feet tall. If it was changed so that these things were really able to go offroad i think it would help alot. Right now they get stuck on stuff a normal pickup truck could drive over.

Between being able to go off road making the MGes more effective and making them truely armored vs small arms and so a granade can only kill people if it gets inside... then i think they would be much more useful. But no matter how you look at it... the ejection seats on all vehicles need to be removed.

Upvote 0
This goes for all the armored transports. clowncar and all. The bug where a granade lands near the thing it kills the driver needs to be fixed. These things are armored a nade 10 feet away isnt going to be a instant kill for the driver. unless they have the hatch open or there head sticking out or whatever. Then changing the point of view for the MGer so they have there head closer to the veiw slot. so you have a wider veiw of everything instead of being leaned way back and just looking at the world through this tiny slot. Realisticly when you look through something like that your brain/eyes will block out the stuff on the sides and focus on whats through the slot. but this dosnt happen in the game at all. Can be kinda hard to identify targets through that. At least it is on my 19 inch screen. I imagine a 26 inch screen it wouldnt be as much of a problem.

Making it so these things dont get stuck so easy would also be a huge help. Right now any little bump in the road can stop them. or the slightest hill thats only a few feet tall. If it was changed so that these things were really able to go offroad i think it would help alot. Right now they get stuck on stuff a normal pickup truck could drive over.

Between being able to go off road making the MGes more effective and making them truely armored vs small arms and so a granade can only kill people if it gets inside... then i think they would be much more useful. But no matter how you look at it... the ejection seats on all vehicles need to be removed.
Exactly, (dis)embarkment animations and having armour that cannot be penetrated by an anti-personnel handgrenade is what RO needs atm.

Also, the survivability of the gunner should be increased, this can be done by adding the ability to duck while operating the MG.

Upvote 0
I think an mk108 would make the halftrack MUCH more usefull.:p

mk108_4.jpg

Upvote 0
Exactly, (dis)embarkment animations and having armour that cannot be penetrated by an anti-personnel handgrenade is what RO needs atm.

Also, the survivability of the gunner should be increased, this can be done by adding the ability to duck while operating the MG.

Well I think if we want to see anything on the next patch I think we should present easy fixes. The driver being killed is probably just an issue with the model or a hitbox is missing or something. As for the MGer I that the hit box for the deflectors just needs to be a bit bigger or possibly have an arch across the middle being that the top of the deflector should deflect off of your helmet. So just some fixes to the model should be all that we need here to get things better off than they are.

Upvote 0