• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Mosin Nagant types

kullwarrior

Feb 3, 2007
Well, the M1891/30 is the standard, full length rifle, with an optional bayonet attachment. It's the most accurate of the three but also the longest and presumably the heaviest.

The 1938 Carbine, or M38 is, as far as I know, just a shortened version of the original, apparently this makes it easier to manuever in tight spaces although this has no noticable advantage in the game. Slightly less accurate than the full-length rifle according to the details in the weapon selection in-game.

The 1944 Carbine, or M44 is almost identical to the M38, except for the fixed bayonet.

There's very little difference between the three in-game, so I use them interchangably.

Upvote 0
Seconded. The M38 is just much better suited to my tastes and besides - I don't seem to engage on that long ranges that the accuracy difference between the M38 and M1891/30 makes a difference. Whereas it seems to make a difference on close ranges and I'm rather a sneaky close-up git by nature.

Upvote 0
i allways use the standard 91/30 mosin nagant rifle, i noticed that it has a longer bayonet range and i like the better accuracy.

M38 i will never use, since it has no bayonet and allthough it might be better at hipshooting, you will only get one shot and if you miss you will get killed by smg-wielding enemies. Even if the enemy has a bolt and misses his hipshot, he will practically allways have a bayonet on and outmelee you too.

The M44 i dont know what to think of... it is like the medium between the two previous: a bayonet, but a shorter melee range due to the fact this rifle isnt that long, and better moveability in closerange. (thus hipshots).
I use it sometimes, but practically never. I'll take the better accuracy and longer bayonet range from the 91/30 over these other two rifles any day.

Upvote 0
Personally, I do not find any differences between the three of them, but if it's a bolt-action rifle, I need a bayonet to defend myself from submachinegunners. The M38 is useless (well not exactly useless, but really unnecessary, because better rifles with bayonets are around) because of that deficiency.

Also, I never hipshoot with a rifle. Never. Ever.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I find that the free-aim speed difference isn't enough to really hinder me in anyway. Plus I've just gotten used to the movement of the 91/30 and so hipping is more natural and I don't have to think about it as much as I do with the carbines. Plus, you just can't beat that rediculous bayo range.

Upvote 0
Maybe I just dreaming but I noticed that the M38 and M44 are better to use when you are leaning from a corner (or a tree)
Also a little more confortable to shoot standing up or prone.

I usually go for the M44 when available or the M38 (unless I see the need to have a bayo attached)
I use the 91/30 only If I have the need to make really long shots (Tula Outsikirts, Bondarevo come to mind)

Upvote 0
Everyday I find the M38 to be fully enough for the job. Yesterday I've had a kill on Konigs Platz at a range of at least 150 m - a running infantry fellow, who was trying to flank. One shot and he's down. May have been luck, but he went down.

Today, I've stormed a StG-44, caught him off guard after a reload, and hip-shotted with the M38. Yesterday, I've run away from a G-41 who tried to nade me, only to be shot in the arm, turn around, hit the deck and free-aim kill him before he managed to correct his aim. No more examples needed for me.

Upvote 0
Why I don't hipshoot with a rifle?

You only get one measly chance to save yourself. Rifles are best used at long-medium ranges in my opinion, anything 10-20 meters or less I'd rather simply charge the enemy. I'd rather run away to a more defensive position, or charge the enemy at fixed bayonets.
Well obviously, but that's a tactical consideration. I'm not saying I charge into objectives filled with enemy assault troopers hoping for a few lucky kills, I'm saying if I get caught up close, I generally shoot from the hip at my enemies with great success.

Anyway, I think the general conclusion here is all three Russian rifles are very effective weapons when used correctly, so it's just a matter of preference.

Upvote 0
Why I don't hipshoot with a rifle?

You only get one measly chance to save yourself. Rifles are best used at long-medium ranges in my opinion, anything 10-20 meters or less I'd rather simply charge the enemy. I'd rather run away to a more defensive position, or charge the enemy at fixed bayonets.

You do realize that you can shoot first than charge, right? That's why the game has manual bolting.

Upvote 0