• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

INF Penetration mutator

Any servers running this at this point? We ran it back when the 5.SS actually had a server. It was somewhat flawed but was definitely a step in the right direction. Would be fantastic if a mod team took this on as part of their mod and improved it further (assuming this is possible given access to source code, etc..)

RO is currently missing three major things that would make the experience more immersive: more realistic weapon switching delay, more realistic vehicle position switching and exiting delay, and bullet penetration. Bullet penetration would completely change the complection of combined arms combat. Tanks would stand a better chance against fausters, MGs would be much more feared.

This mutator seems to have died so I guess I'll just have to lobby hard for its inclusion in TWI's next game :)

Upvote 0
Any servers running this at this point? We ran it back when the 5.SS actually had a server. It was somewhat flawed but was definitely a step in the right direction. Would be fantastic if a mod team took this on as part of their mod and improved it further (assuming this is possible given access to source code, etc..)

RO is currently missing three major things that would make the experience more immersive: more realistic weapon switching delay, more realistic vehicle position switching and exiting delay, and bullet penetration. Bullet penetration would completely change the complection of combined arms combat. Tanks would stand a better chance against fausters, MGs would be much more feared.

This mutator seems to have died so I guess I'll just have to lobby hard for its inclusion in TWI's next game :)

You'll have to lobby real hard if you want TWI's cooperation for the current RO. I doubt you'll get any help from them though. Beppo, Infiltration lead coder, and geo, coder from Infiltration Mod Team both were working on this and needed their help, a part of twi's code, because of a certain way bullets spawned and it also had to do with potential lag issues. They were promised help by TWI but never got it.

No matter how hard some people tried.

So there. I'm pretty sure Ramm even reacted at some point, in some thread, saying how in the world they could have expected his / twi's help. Beppo pointed out a certain part of RO's code prevented them from fully implementing the bullet penetration, he explained the issues in detail. Anyway, Ramm didn't help and moved on.

I'm still kinda disappointed, probably noticable in my tone? I hope i don't come accross too agitaded though.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@Wilsonam
Well I don't believe you.

If you read the threads back then what Beppo asked - after being told that IP could be infringed - that he should be given some clues what happens. No code parts etc. I could even search the quote if you wanted. And as a matter of fact you (guys from TWI) constantly said it is impossible and were proved otherwise later. Then there was an attempt by Ramm to make the devs of the mut look bad on the steam forum, he didn't either bother to discuss, but just throwing assumptions and accusations and then moving on .
Could provide the links to the threads if someone was interested.

Upvote 0
Well, I don't think anyone wants to rehash an old argument. It seems TWI can't/is not willing to give out this information. Given their track record of being very open and interactive with the community I have to believe there's a damn good reason.

So in any event, I will just have to continue to hound them once the next game is announced to ensure BP is officially included ;)

Upvote 0
PenetrationScale=0.08 //general scaling factor for the projectile penetration depth
DistortionScale=0.4 //general scaling factor for the possible flight path distortion a projectile suffers while penetrating

someone can explane this scale factor ?
i dont understand exactly that this thing change.
Ah RO's penetration.. Never introduced by the original devs because of the bad hack(s) Ramm used in the projectile spawning. Never supported by the devs because of... what.. ego?

Well it means exactly what it says: The first determines how much a projectile penetrates an object, relatively. The second is a scaling factor for how much a projectile suffers from possible deviation in it's flight path. I.e a wall can change the flight path of a round some.

Upvote 0
The first determines how much a projectile penetrates an object, relatively.
1.0 all projectile penetrates object ?

The second is a scaling factor for how much a projectile suffers from possible deviation in it's flight path. I.e a wall can change the flight path of a round some.
1.0 all flight path without deviation, right?

Upvote 0