• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

One life total war

One way to avoid that is to only have servers with a set number of players allowed into the server ring, and also each ring could be configured to only include servers within a small geographic area, to minimize ping swing

I never said this would be an easy thing to implement, but I think it could make a 1 life per map approach to the game workable and enjoyable

Upvote 0
This idea is rather absurd unless:

1. They include a deathmatch mode.
2. They make the maps incredibly small.
3. The time limit is 5 minutes or less.

To be quite frank, it'll no longer be RO in any manner.

If you're talking about a single server operating on a 1 life per map system, yeah some changes would be necessary.

But if you're talking about my multiple server loop idea, you wouldn't have to change any of that, since new players from other servers will continue to spawn on the map.

Upvote 0
Well I really only meant "Lets do this when the blue moon is out"

It just would be cool to line up the entire set of all RO players everywhere online at the time and actually have a real war on a map like berezina over an hour or so with everyone getting one chance to make a difference. Since the servers dont support 600 players at a time the only way would be multiple waves.

Maybe it would be recorded on the server side for posterity.

Upvote 0
The best way to make a person 'fear death' is thru reward, not punishment, IMO. Having only one life cause many fundamental errors, many of which have been mentioned in prior posts.

I my opinion, there needs to be a ranking system in RO similiar to the one in America's Army. If you live, take objectives, kill enemies, etc, you are rewarded with honor points. If you die, constantly suicide satchel tanks, you lose honor points (or atleast do not gain any).

Honor points, in the most basic function, would only serve as bragging rights, but if wanted to develop it deeper, certain classes many only be accessed with a certain amount of honor points. I.E., low honor players can not be squad leaders, etc.

America's Army has implemented something like this in that you must complete certain training and have a certain amount of honor points to access Special Forces classes.

The casual gamer that does not care about ranking will not be affected by this, but considering RO relatively small but hardcore player base, an honor system would be something to consider implementing into the game instead of a 'one life' feature.

Upvote 0
with ro's size of maps 1 life doesnt work. But in alot of game 1 life rounds are 5 minute maps on average. Why not make it like every capzone is like a seperate level. Aka everybody respawns after a team archievement is made. Or if the entire died out.

Might make things interesting, i'd like it if the devs messed around with options for changing respawn methods a bit around. So that the realism community could use something else. And i kinda like server optionable changes myself ^^. Restricted lives but with a way to earn lives for your team by archievements might work out.

Upvote 0
but this wont work on many maps.

That's the main problem. Most of RO maps force one side to rush the objectives even if it means they die 5 times in a row (e.g. Barashka, or was it basovka?, and Danzig and basically Konigsplatz too). These maps won't work with one life per round.

I still hope someone'll make a mutator for this sometime though. It can work on some maps.

But I like the idea of getting additional lives for completing objectives.

On a side note: What makes some ppl here think, every round would take like 30 mins?
We've all had situations where both teams ran out of reinforcements. In my experience once this happens one side usually wins in about 10 minutes.

Upvote 0
On a side note: What makes some ppl here think, every round would take like 30 mins?
We've all had situations where both teams ran out of reinforcements. In my experience once this happens one side usually wins in about 10 minutes.

To quote Slyder:

Armed Assault has 100 player servers, and also a one life gametype. After you die, you can wait anywhere from 20 to 30 minutes sometimes for a map to end and the next round to start. It's one of the biggest complaints and sources of frustration for that game. I like the way Red Orchestra does it with reinforcements. I know I for one would rather spend more time playing that waiting.

Upvote 0
The best way to make a person 'fear death' is thru reward, not punishment, IMO. Having only one life cause many fundamental errors, many of which have been mentioned in prior posts.

I my opinion, there needs to be a ranking system in RO similiar to the one in America's Army. If you live, take objectives, kill enemies, etc, you are rewarded with honor points. If you die, constantly suicide satchel tanks, you lose honor points (or atleast do not gain any).

Honor points, in the most basic function, would only serve as bragging rights, but if wanted to develop it deeper, certain classes many only be accessed with a certain amount of honor points. I.E., low honor players can not be squad leaders, etc.

America's Army has implemented something like this in that you must complete certain training and have a certain amount of honor points to access Special Forces classes.

The casual gamer that does not care about ranking will not be affected by this, but considering RO relatively small but hardcore player base, an honor system would be something to consider implementing into the game instead of a 'one life' feature.

With RO being more "true" to the WW2 style of combat operations on the Eastern front I can only see this suggestion detracting from the teamwork. Many maps reflect the real life situation faced by Eastern Front armies, that advances had to be made, with no regard for the human cost. In RO, to win objectives sometimes, it requires teamwork in the form of getting a lot of bodies in the capzone, and dying over and over trying while it caps. Dying repeatedly sometimes is the one thing that can get your team into the winning position and is necessary.

I think if you reward people too much for staying alive (outside of the current team based re-inforcement system), you would end up causing people to hunker down and try to stay alive rather than pushing hard at the objectives. In RO, the soldier you play represents many reinforcements, not the same "individual" over and over.

The end result is that a lot of players would think only of themselves and their "honour" points, rather than the team goal that places value on objectives, not their life. This is achieved in RO by the abilty to respawn, and balanced by having a set number of re-inforcements that requires teamwork to conserve.

Upvote 0
With RO being more "true" to the WW2 style of combat operations on the Eastern front I can only see this suggestion detracting from the teamwork. Many maps reflect the real life situation faced by Eastern Front armies, that advances had to be made, with no regard for the human cost. In RO, to win objectives sometimes, it requires teamwork in the form of getting a lot of bodies in the capzone, and dying over and over trying while it caps. Dying repeatedly sometimes is the one thing that can get your team into the winning position and is necessary.

I think if you reward people too much for staying alive (outside of the current team based re-inforcement system), you would end up causing people to hunker down and try to stay alive rather than pushing hard at the objectives. In RO, the soldier you play represents many reinforcements, not the same "individual" over and over.

The end result is that a lot of players would think only of themselves and their "honour" points, rather than the team goal that places value on objectives, not their life. This is achieved in RO by the abilty to respawn, and balanced by having a set number of re-inforcements that requires teamwork to conserve.

I did write about taking objectives:

--
If you live, take objectives, kill enemies, etc, you are rewarded with honor points
--

In America's Army the players on the winning team earn much more honor points then players on the losing team (leaders get negative scores). This should be a function in RO if an honor system would ever be implemented.

Upvote 0