• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

3D & Animation King Tiger - WIP

How many people posting in this thread have said something along the lines of: "Yes, I would LOVE to drive one of these and pwn every mother on the battlefield."

and how many have said: "Yes, I can't wait to fight against one of these"?

Take your time guys, count them up.

So, when the map is made you had better put KT's on both sides 'cos nobody but the KT fanbois will go near it. ;) :p Although there are prolly some players out there who are such fans that they would consider it an honour to get repeatedly and pointlessly murdered by a KT on the slim chance (maybe 1 in 10? 1 in 20? no doubt someone here can tell me) that they will kill a KT.

*Nestor's weekly things to do list:

Mow the lawn - tick
Shopping at Tesco's - tick
Razz the KT thread - tick*

:D

I have also popped in now and then, to see how the project's going, and occasionally comment on the subject of it's implementation as a neutral, but have since read that to bring up the issue of balance can make you a moaning 'noob'. (expected better than that)

But I am long resigned to that fact that playing on some pre arad/is2 maps as Russian is the real test of a tanker's skill, and any additions of the KT will simply continue this onto later maps, and because it will be a choice (as the stock maps will not change), there's nothing wrong with that.
I welcome the challange, so that makes me one who would relish confronting it more than actually using it. When I use armour that clearly outclass the enemy, I am afraid of developing delusions of grandeur; but whenever I defeat more powerful tanks I know I've genuinely done well.
Of course, it remains to be seen how many others would agree.

However it always raises a smile when I hear German Tankers in superior armour inform their opponents that it's all about skill and tactics, because it sounds like rich people telling poor folk that money isn't important.

Upvote 0
I have also popped in now and then, to see how the project's going, and occasionally comment on the subject of it's implementation as a neutral, but have since read that to bring up the issue of balance can make you a moaning 'noob'. (expected better than that)

But I am long resigned to that fact that playing on some pre arad/is2 maps as Russian is the real test of a tanker's skill, and any additions of the KT will simply continue this onto later maps, and because it will be a choice (as the stock maps will not change), there's nothing wrong with that.
I welcome the challange, so that makes me one who would relish confronting it more than actually using it. When I use armour that clearly outclass the enemy, I am afraid of developing delusions of grandeur; but whenever I defeat more powerful tanks I know I've genuinely done well.

However it always raises a smile when I hear German Tankers in superior armour inform their opponents that it's all about skill and tactics, because it sounds like rich people telling poor folk that money isn't important.

You do realise you may be facing upto 4 Tiger 2's in a pack?

Upvote 0

Where are the P-47's and IL2 Sturmoviks when you need them? :p

j/k -- Can't wait to see this project reach fruition

Quote:
Budapest, Arnswalde (Pomerania), Seelow Heights, Battle of Berlin (sorta).
"These would be good."

Ah, soooooo many scenarios, and so little time to map :(

Upvote 0
Where are the P-47's and IL2 Sturmoviks when you need them? :p

j/k -- Can't wait to see this project reach fruition

Quote:
Budapest, Arnswalde (Pomerania), Seelow Heights, Battle of Berlin (sorta).
"These would be good."

Ah, soooooo many scenarios, and so little time to map :(

Hopefully when it's realeased it will inspire other mappers to maybe jump aboard.

Upvote 0

yes well i started off in a panzer 3, then worked my way up to the tiger i can use all german tanks very well indeed :p [SIZE=-1]you need to get in a panzer 3 and fight wave after wave of t34s, like i did for weeks on black day july :D then after this any tank you get in it will be very easy. learn the panzer 3 first this is how it was in the war [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]prove [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]yourself then you get a tiger:)[/SIZE]

Upvote 0
You do realise that the Russians have tons of T34's more?

In this game you can't give the Germans 4 KingTiger when the Russians don't get 4 times more tanks. Just 2 at most will be good enough.

Maybe a idea, give the King killer more points for killing the Kingtiger as a reward? (for those who like points).

Upvote 0
You do realise that the Russians have tons of T34's more?

In this game you can't give the Germans 4 KingTiger when the Russians don't get 4 times more tanks. Just 2 at most will be good enough.

Maybe a idea, give the King killer more points for killing the Kingtiger as a reward? (for those who like points).

Yeah and less points for KT killing Russian tanks based on what they are.

[SIZE=-1]learn the panzer 3[/SIZE]

Yep, it's a beautiful tank, kills IS2's in 1 shot as well with APCR.

Upvote 0
yes well i started off in a panzer 3, then worked my way up to the tiger i can use all german tanks very well indeed :p [SIZE=-1]you need to get in a panzer 3 and fight wave after wave of t34s, like i did for weeks on black day july :D then after this any tank you get in it will be very easy. learn the panzer 3 first this is how it was in the war [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]prove [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]yourself then you get a tiger:)[/SIZE]

Oh don't worry the PIII is my favourite tank in the whole game, on either side, by a long way. I just about always take it in BDJ when German, and certainly on Orel.

It was very under-rated (people are starting to realise how good it is nowadays), but yes, it's tin-foil armour is a weakness that means it's crew need to fully use the cover of terrain, patience and sneaky tactics
But i don't think its at quite the disadvantage as you suggest - with the short distances and amount of cover we are used to in RO maps, I think the ability to throw out APCR at that rate is a major advantage.
I do just fine in the little grey nutter, and don't feel I need to 'move up' to anything else - I feel fairly confident going up against anything the russians can throw at it.
Panthers a great tank though- a real favourite in RL and overall I'd say the best currently in RO, but it's a bit 'idiot-proof'.
Nestor also mentioned he uses the Stug a lot for tank battles, which reminds me I should start using that more again - particularly when I have no crewmate.

But as for learning skills, from a German point of view I always thought using the F2s in the old Arad was a real test of tanking. Or nowadays maybe take on the Kvs and -76s with the F1 in Bondo.

I can't really say how effectively I can use a Tiger, cos outside Konigsplatz I rarely try them.
I appreciate it's a good team tank, as a driver may often have to turn the hull to help the gunner bring the 88 to bare on an opponent quickly, momentarily losing his angle. Likewise, adjusting your hull angle at the wrong moment can delay the lining up of shots so you have to know what your doing.
But as I know it's got a lot of fans, I tend to leave the Tiger to them. I'll be honest It's a tank I enjoy blowing up more than I do using! I may come to feel the same about the KT too, but.....

... scares me a little. You obviously don't intend to hold back- careful not to put off too many potential adversaries..

Upvote 0
SU-100 is inferior to the IS-2 in, armor, armor penetration, HE capability and was only available in 45. Waste of time. IS-2 is the best tank the Russians have, they don't need anything else. An upgrade in the IS-2 armor is all that is needed.

With the 50 player limit you could give the Germans 4 Tiger II's and the Russians 9 IS-2 and 16 T34/85's. Historically accurate.

Upvote 0
Especially "4 Tiger 2's in a pack" is not a very good idea. If you're doing this just to "pwn" the other team, don't even bother :)

I think partitioning the teams would fix this. Just enough Germans for 4 KT's, that being 12 (3 each). Assuming 64 player limit, split the rest between PTRD, Saper & Tankers, so about, 4:17 ratio (Germans:Russians).

yes if your going to put 4 king tigers in a pack you must have 3 js2 and 4 su100s and 2 or 3 T34/85s someone please model the su100 soon also maybe give the Russians more Arty on the map so they have 17 strikes :) or i like 3 king tigers 2 panthers and 4 panzer 4 H this will be ok i am sure

What you guys think of the Katyusha? (I personally hate artillery regardless of the side using it.)

SU-100 is inferior to the IS-2 in, armor, armor penetration, HE capability and was only available in 45. Waste of time. IS-2 is the best tank the Russians have, they don't need anything else. An upgrade in the IS-2 armor is all that is needed.

Is the current JS-2 not correct?

Remember spalling was common in Russian tanks.

With the 50 player limit you could give the Germans 4 Tiger II's and the Russians 9 IS-2 and 16 T34/85's. Historically accurate.

Not 64 then?

Well for a 50 limit your idea looks best.

Upvote 0
I think partitioning the teams would fix this. Just enough Germans for 4 KT's, that being 12 (3 each). Assuming 64 player limit, split the rest between PTRD, Saper & Tankers, so about, 4:17 ratio (Germans:Russians).

What you guys think of the Katyusha? (I personally hate artillery regardless of the side using it.)

Is the current JS-2 not correct?

Remember spalling was common in Russian tanks.

Not 64 then?

Well for a 50 limit your idea looks best.
yes the Katyusha is good when i use to play FH 1 mod i uesd to love using the Katyusha just to see the mess it made :p

Upvote 0
Any progress on this?

I just ask 'cos it's been a week now and I haven't had my fix of winding up the fanbois ;)

JK - really...how is it going?

Well it's pretty much done, got the poly count down to about 8100 which is fine. Going to make sure everything is smoothed correctly, attaching objects to each other so I end up with inside and outside seperate.

UV mapping will come next, then texture, still haven't decided who will texture it yet, I might have a go myself first. This all may take a while thou ;)

Upvote 0