• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Do you trust VAC?

Plaid13

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 22, 2006
Ok just a quick simple question here. Do you trust VAC to keep cheaters out? Personaly i Havnt seen anyone i thought was cheating in just over a year now. A few people that like to exploit bugs but thats about it.

But... I get called a cheat or a hacker Almost every day i play. It happens so often It makes me wonder how many people trust VAC and how many of you think you have seen people cheating on a regular basis.

There ARE cheats for RO, but I have never seen anything that looks dodgy personally. VAC is a pile of crap though because they take month to update..they can't keep up with the cheaters when it takes them so long to release an update. Same in Counter-Strike..theres cheaters all over the place there and they use VAC. I don't think theres many in RO though because of the size of the community and because people will generally react in a way that won't please them as much as it does in other games.

Game exploits are completely different though - its down to the game devs to make sure the game is not exploitable even without 3rd party applications. Shooting through the mountain in kauk is a good example and has existed since the start of RO retail and has never been fixed...iron sights dive is also one, as is bringing iron sights up from prone. The devs have to fix these things otherwise its just down to the players to decide if they exploit or not.

Upvote 0
well ive played for 354 hours of ROOST now, and thus far i have not seen a single cheat.
the only questionable thing i saw happening was last night, and today, when i was playing on kaukasus as a russian.
it was the same spot, with the same weapon (german mg) by the same guy.
i was walking down the mountain to the left of the soviet spawn, the steep one, when i got killed by that german dude with his mg, through the mountain.
the tracers were clearly going through it.
when i confronted the guy, both yesterday and today, i got the same answer both times:
ME: wth, your shooting through the mountain!
him: no ****.
i'm still wondering if its an exploit or a cheat:confused: i made a thread about it earlier today, but somehow its gone ( deleted i guess? ):confused:

That's an exploit on Kaukasus, unfortunately. There's a spot where you can go prone through a couple of pollies.

Upvote 0
I have only seen 3 players that I know where using cheats in all my years of RO. All of them in the mod (UT2004 days never seen anyone in the UT2003 days). All of them using aimbot.

Play 1 on 1 RO-DieWalkure from the mod and see if someone constantly hipshots you while jumping and what not from the hill wiht a semi (not a single shot missed) when you are attacking as a german and you'll know it's a botter ;)

In Ostfront no one that was so obvious that I would suspect them openly.

Upvote 0
There are cheats but why use them when you eventual will get banned. Just the other day i was playing on a sever that had several people using some sort of aim bot. These where the first obvious cheats I had seen in RO:OF and was kind of shocked. RO defiantly doesn't have a problem compared to other games but they are out there.

Upvote 0
I've been playing retail since the day it hit the stores, haven't seen anyone do anything that couldn't be easily explained by blind stupid luck or the occasional map exploit.

It's not like COD2 was, pre-punkbuster. You couldn't go ten minutes without someone using aimbot or wallhack. Nah, make that TWO minutes, not ten. I tried a wallhack once, just to see what it actually -did-, and it was amazing ... once you've seen what it does, it's so easy to pick out when other people are using one.

I don't know if RO's good luck is due to VAC, or due to the fact that our community is so (relatively) small that nobody's bothered to make readily available hacks yet. Either way, I'm not complaining.

Upvote 0
Just as a word of warning:

No Anti Cheat system as of now will ever replace a live admin. Remember to use the command "listplayers" and grab the player ID of any notible person and pass it on to the admin of that server.

You only see your own id unless you're logged in as admin meaning you already have the ability to ban him yourself :p

Upvote 0
Never seen anything myself for definate although there was this guy on StalingradKessel who seemed to be able to predict my every move to attack him (he was MG). Throwing grenades just as i approach a door, even positioning himself perfectly looking at whichever entrance i came through into the main hall of assembly.

However that might just be me being paranoid :p

Upvote 0
Punkbuster for BF2 and VAC for CS doesnt prevent wallhacks and aimbots. Why is VAC better for RO? Because (almost) nobody plays this game and the few who does, dont want to cheat, simple as that.

Its prolly easy to make an aimbot for RO, but nobody wants to pay for it.... So the haxors prolly consentrate on cheats for BF2 and CS. Ppl are willing to pay for that. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Of late there have been some obvious cases of "something " we had to deal with on our server. One was a player who could hipshoot other players concealed behind cover with just thier head sticking out from great distances (100 + yards) while moving back and forth without stopping.And he never missed...not once.Since there is gunsway in a non firing position, the twitch kiddie trick of "spotting" the screen wont work. So he was definately using code to aim for him in this manner.

Another was just last night. The player (squad leader)was walking straight up to walls, looking back and forth at the wall (obviously looking for wireframes) then throwing smoke at the targets he spotted through the walls, waited for the smoke to fully deploy , then shooting them trough the smoke. Obvious wireframe hack, of which I believe a link was provided by our group to TW recently.

I watched both of these for about 10-15 minutes confirming the positions of other clan members where they were killed.I only add that because you need to investigate these thoroughly to be sure.There is no fool proof AC, and Like Yoshi says, no replacement for live admins to take care of the garbage that plagues evrey game.

Upvote 0