• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

xploits and graphic settings

maybe 1 game in 25 for me i get wierd shadows showing me where people are. However i really don't see why people get enjoyment from cheating...who enjoys being the best when you are only the best because you have an unfair advantage. I know a lot of people use gamma to combat dark areas or night maps. But it's all part of the game i guess you just have to get on and play. I'm regularly in the top three on servers and i can safely say i don't cheat at all nor have encountered much serious cheating in a year of playing retail RO.

Upvote 0
Another thing that comes to mind. Is that you can see longer distances if you are not directly looking at something.
So, sometimes you see someone far way on the side on the screen and when you try to look at him directly is not there anymore.

If you use this correctly you can shoot people beyond your line of sigth (even thought it is difficult and I 9 out of 10 times you miss)

This is because the thing determening the distance to the limit where the fog blocks everything is setup as a cube around a player in UE2. So when you are looking to the sides what you are actually watching is the corners of this cube allowing you a slightly longer veiw distance, actually about 29,3% longer at optimum angle (pythagoras :p )

Upvote 0
I see this with smoke quite often I cant see through it and I am not near or in it., and someone in it or on the other side is able to take aimed shots and hit me. And this isnt being a noob not seeing a guy this is there can be only one direction from the fire to come from, and thats through the smoke. This one foreign kid on a danzig server is quite good at it. Smoke should be opaque as intended on all settings. It is more then likely a lucky driver issue for him though, I dont know how you would test that.

Smoke, while giving cover is also a bullet magnet. I know when I see enemy smoke, I start taking shots into it, knowing that there will be guys coming through or hiding in it.

Same with foliage and other good hiding spots. Once you know where they are, you can predict that players will be there most of the time. Fire into those place and chances are you will get a couple lucky kills in a night.

The easiest "cure" for this is for players to not remain stationary. Keep moving, if you are hiding someplace, it's likely someone knows you are there, suspects you are there and is either getting ready to shoot there or nade there. Especially if you've fired from there. Never fire from the same place more than 2 or 3 shots. If you do, guaranteed someone is aiming at you, and sometimes those appear to be lucky shots or through foliage shots, but they are perfectly predictable.

Upvote 0
Another thing that comes to mind. Is that you can see longer distances if you are not directly looking at something.
So, sometimes you see someone far way on the side on the screen and when you try to look at him directly is not there anymore.

If you use this correctly you can shoot people beyond your line of sigth (even thought it is difficult and I 9 out of 10 times you miss)

This happens to me a lot, but it's not -people- that appear / disappear, it's objects on screen, and they're usually things that people are hiding behind, and it only seems to happen when I've got the sniper rifles.

(For reference, I've got a 7600GT, settings cranked to max.)

For example:

-Rakowice: when in the upper doorway of the hangar, facing the tower. There's an ME-109 wrecked in the middle distance off to the left. If I put the scope reticle directly on it, it disappears, and I can see whoever's underneath / behind it. If I look to the left or right, it appears again when it's over toward the edges of the scope.

-Odessa: when laying in the lower windows of the building overlooking Grecheskaya square - not the one with the piano, but the one to the left of that - there's a truck that does the same thing. There's another truck that I saw do the same thing last night, around the corner from second Sov spawn, but I haven't been able to replicate it yet.

Now, I can't shoot through them - they're still definitely there as obstacles - but I can see through them.

There's other places where enemies in the shadows get a strange glowing corona around them, particularly notable on Basovka (Soviets laying on the roof of the train station) and Stalingrad (Soviets laying on the roof of the ***'y hall, over at the edge in the shadows against the wall). They can be completely hidden behind the crest of the roof, but the shadows around them have a glow like you'd get from a muzzle flash, but constant, and it's like a bullseye drawn on them.

It only really seems to happen for the Soviets, though. Germans don't do it, not sure why. Maybe I just spend more time playing German, so I don't notice it on them as often?

Upvote 0
There was a huge problem like this in the BF games before BF2142 came out where they always had the option of turning off the grass, and bushes. People used it to cheat all the time and it's one reason I don't play BF2 or it's mods anymore. Too many people use the low end settings just to have an advantage when they should be in the same boat you are. IE unless they are flying high above you in a plane or chopper that is. I think it's the biggest reason why people hated BF2142 it was not that they wen't into the future but that they forced you to have all the effects on no matter how low the settings are. There is always snow falling on maps where this is the case, there is always tall grass where the enemy can't see you. They literaly took out the ability to trun it all off and I like that they did.

Only problem I have is that my sound in that game is going all funky and I can't get my dad to help me fix it. So for now I'm not playing it.

Upvote 0
There was a huge problem like this in the BF games before BF2142 came out where they always had the option of turning off the grass, and bushes. People used it to cheat all the time and it's one reason I don't play BF2 or it's mods anymore. Too many people use the low end settings just to have an advantage when they should be in the same boat you are. IE unless they are flying high above you in a plane or chopper that is. I think it's the biggest reason why people hated BF2142 it was not that they wen't into the future but that they forced you to have all the effects on no matter how low the settings are. There is always snow falling on maps where this is the case, there is always tall grass where the enemy can't see you. They literaly took out the ability to trun it all off and I like that they did.

Only problem I have is that my sound in that game is going all funky and I can't get my dad to help me fix it. So for now I'm not playing it.

I turn my foliage off, and most of my other settings down, not to cheat or exploit, but simply because my computer can't handle the FPS drain those options cause. Faster FPS, nine times out of ten will win the fight between two good players. Unless you have a kickass system that can run with all the settings on high, it's very difficult to play with options like foliage on. I know I NEED the extra FPS I get when they are off.

Upvote 0
This is because the thing determening the distance to the limit where the fog blocks everything is setup as a cube around a player in UE2. So when you are looking to the sides what you are actually watching is the corners of this cube allowing you a slightly longer veiw distance, actually about 29,3% longer at optimum angle (pythagoras :p )

Best answer ever! :)
Cheers for that m8.

Upvote 0

I was always wondering why, now I know! :)

Upvote 0

well I use that "trick" regularly while in a tank, on barashka *smiles* :D

TBH I managed to kill many players throught foliage, sometimes you can see the tip of the rifle or something else and from there is just a guessing game.
You just need to pay attention and get a bit lucky to do it.

Thats the time where the "pixel war" starts. Usualy with rifles.

Upvote 0
I have a fairly mediocre machine, but I like my eye candy so I use a mixture of settings which gives me reasonable FPS and half decent graphics.
My objective is to have fun...learned a long time ago that getting cheesed off during a game only gets you fragged more. Stay cool n' calm, take your lumps and hand them back out, after awhile the keyboard smashing FPS Doug syndrome will leave you.
I have heard discussed that there are now cheats for RO, which I must admit does annoy me immensely. :mad:

Upvote 0
I didn't intend my post to be a whine, I too am familiar with BF2 issues and this is primarily where my post came from. I don't know about blindly shooting into smoke and brush, its cool that people play that way but i'm always concerving ammo in this game because i've been whacked so many times reloading :D . I try not to get caught up in other people's play but in a game like this, where a premium is put on getting into good positions, it gets bothersome to respawn and run/crouch/crawl back into a position near the fighting just to get phantom whacked again.

I've been playing with my settings dialed back on the more populated servers, I crank em up on the lower pop servers. I don't know why but the suspicious kills always seem to happen on the crowded servers. Could be lag, statistical chance increase or greater anonymity for questionable players. I still really enjoy the game and trip's continued support.

Upvote 0
the 'how it works' on foilage, from a former LD:

THere are 2 types of foilage:
Static Meshs (these are going to be your trees, any of your shrubs, rocks, plus almost any decoration that you cannot move through).. yes I know a rock isn't foilage, but it's related for this conversation. your larger wheat/corn fields are also Static Meshes.

DecoLayers.. this will be your grass, some shrubs (usuallythe smaller ones), small rocks, maybe some other junk like bricks on a mound of debris.
.. decolayers come in 2 varieties.. regalar (like in other UEd games).. which is what the Foilage tick box disabled. from a mappers perspective this should be stuff that is PURELY decoration. Ideally, if it is on or off shouldn't effect anything but the 'prettiness' factor.
then there is something custom added for Ostfront, 'forced' decolayers. The same kinda stuff, but it is always drawn. It's been a long long time since i checked, but something like the fields in Hedgehog are the sort of this this works well on.

If anyone from the mod days remembers Citadel, that was the perfect example of why the 'forced' decolayer option exists. the map was entirely coposed of decolayer wheat fields.. it looks nice as all get out when Foilage was on.. turn it off, and *poof*.. no wheat fields.. you could see everyone that would normally be obscured.

The offical Ostfront maps shouldn't have any of this kinda issue (note, I said shouldn't.. not doesn't.. it's been far to long since I've checked that sort of thing).. if you wanna check the differences on a map.. simply tick on/off the foilage box in your video settings. :p

That said..

Given how often people hide in bushes, etc.. and the finate number of bushes in most maps (i mean.. how often have you played Kaukaus? i'm sure most players know every decent bush to hide in on the well played maps..).. I'll confess I've often popped a few rounds into 'suspcious' looking or often used bushes just in-case there was someone hiding in them.. same with often used windows in urban maps, etc..

i think this post actually was decently coherent.. i must be loosing my touch.

Upvote 0
I don't know about blindly shooting into smoke and brush, its cool that people play that way but i'm always concerving ammo in this game because i've been whacked so many times reloading :D . .

WHen on defense, I think it's good for the whole team to keep up a high rate of fire towards the oncoming enemy direction. Ammo is free, the more that gets poured downrange, the more likely the enemy is to keep their heads down, crawl or take cover to shoot, thereby slowing them down. Lots of bullets can buy you time when you need it on defense.

As for the shrubs and smoke etc, aim at it and lay the fire in, there's a good chance someone is in there, especially smoke. Again, on defense, this can only help.

Upvote 0
There's other places where enemies in the shadows get a strange glowing corona around them, particularly notable on Basovka (Soviets laying on the roof of the train station) and Stalingrad (Soviets laying on the roof of the ***'y hall, over at the edge in the shadows against the wall). They can be completely hidden behind the crest of the roof, but the shadows around them have a glow like you'd get from a muzzle flash, but constant, and it's like a bullseye drawn on them.

It only really seems to happen for the Soviets, though. Germans don't do it, not sure why. Maybe I just spend more time playing German, so I don't notice it on them as often?

yes It seems to me that the germans have less reflective skins , it would appear that the soviet skins in my opinion especially in brightly lit areas , or even in dark areas but where they can catch a ray of bright light from some angle will appear as hyper reflective & have like a glow or corona , & even extends somehow to more noticeable shadow , sometimes when I am in spectator mode I will see a player catch the light a certain way & its like his face is lit up brightly as if next to a major light source , yet it looks out of place because there is no light source that close or bright to account for it ,
I am running a 6800 gt all video effects turned on

Upvote 0