• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What makes Danzig the premier map for RO?

if you're tired of playing danzig/konigs/sparta constantly, go to the forums of your favorite server and request some other maps you enjoy. Then, describe how the map is good to all the pub people. I suggest koitos/warsaw. They play a lot like danzig, and if they see this, the maps could act as gateways to other customs... and avoid custom tank maps. Sadly, people abandon servers if they win.

Upvote 0
Danzig is a map that is popular because:

1. The action starts very quickly.
2. You are bound to get some kills if you play this map. (very encouraging for beginners)
3. Being a rifleman is no disadvantage on this map - in fact I've seen riflemen within the top three at times.
4. Load times for this map are better than other maps.
5. And finally, this map is very balanced - both teams have an equal chance of winning.

Upvote 0

2. You are bound to get some kills if you play this map. (very encouraging for beginners)
3. Being a rifleman is no disadvantage on this map - in fact I've seen riflemen within the top three at times.
5. And finally, this map is very balanced - both teams have an equal chance of winning.

Being a rifleman is never a disadvantage ;)

Upvote 0

M44 FTW :D

Also, if I am in a random maps server, I have no problem with playing danzig if voted for...
Danzig in a random map server with skilled player using tactics is a very different experience...
A better one I should add !

(I am guessing that on average, the danzig only server players are more lonewolf oriented)

Its not a question of A.D.D. ... you do have a lot of fun when you score 120+
Even more if its done with the M44 including a few stabs :D

Upvote 0
(I am guessing that on average, the danzig only server players are more lonewolf oriented)

You guess wrong. I work odd hours and often (mornings) there're like 4-5 playable servers (TWB's 50 being full of course...) so Danzig 24/7s are often a life saviour.... on this wee hours there are some regulars, they use their mics well and usually games r suberb :)

Upvote 0
Ok, that's fine. But we've got too many servers running this "quick fix." Because of it's small size (spawn, shoot, die) Danzig really prevents players from implementing many of the tactics that make RO so great. It's hard to coordinate anything with teammates when it's spawn, shoot, die.

While it's true that you don't get the grand tactical scale of Berezina calling out where the half track/tanks etc are coming from, there are still some excellent opportunities for tactics here. Maybe you Spawn/shoot/die but I try to get into firing position, lock down an area and then advance. Danzig really is quite structured the bridges first then a second and third layer of defence. VOIP is used heavily to call out sniper and mg positions. You make Danzig sound like Entweichen.

I guess the main point is each to his own.

Upvote 0
Simple run and gun maps has always made it as "premier" maps.

No matter how much the RO community tries to distinguish itself from other games people still mainly play maps that play like any other game (with this I mean DoD, CoD, CS, TO, SF etc.)

QFT.

That's exactly why back in mod days Warsaw and Koitos were so popular: easy layouts, constant action. Same goes for Danzig, allthough gladly not as bad as the former two. The only exception to this rule seems to be LyesKrovy, which thank gods is one of the least played maps... possibly due to the trenches all looking too similar, making it hard to navigate.

I don't leave the server when Danzig when it is voted for, but concerning urban combat I prefer Odessa.

Upvote 0
Odessa doesn't have enough enterable buildings for me. That makes Danzig more realistic as far as portraying urban combat, except for the carelessness that accompanies a short distance between the spawn and the fighting (though it's not like Odessa doesn't have that problem too).

People need to accept the fact that real urban fighting is a vicious, up close (even spray n' pray) affair that's often random and unfair.

Upvote 0
Odessa doesn't have enough enterable buildings for me. That makes Danzig more realistic as far as portraying urban combat, except for the carelessness that accompanies a short distance between the spawn and the fighting (though it's not like Odessa doesn't have that problem too).

People need to accept the fact that real urban fighting is a vicious, up close (even spray n' pray) affair that's often random and unfair.

I concur with that last statement. But then again, in a paradox, the unfair is often the fair, especially for those who savor those spray and pray kills.

Upvote 0