• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

I'll Show You Mine If You'll Show Me Yours (Part Deux)

finally found a sling for the 43 byf K98k that i liked enough to put on my rifle (most repros don't look right and original german slings are a tad pricey)

it's the cheaper option from whatacountry.com military sling with repro keeper

1943_byf_K98k-3.jpg

currently scratching my head about this marking... looks familiar but i'm drawing a blank at the moment

k98sling.jpg

all i need now is a cleaning rod and i'm set... (sight hood and bayonet frog have been ordered)

Upvote 0
Cleaning the shellac of would not be a resotration. Far from it. It would take away the value of you RC imho.

The only way this would be justified IMHO is if you could somehow find all matching parts from other owners. Now that would be a true restoration. Good luck with that.

Untill that day, it is still just a selection of mixed mached russian captured parts shellac intact or not. But it is your rifle so knock yourself out.

A RC K98k is nothing to be ashamed of if it works. I would leave it alone. The shellac is part of the history of the piece.

Upvote 0
the distance i plan to go for german spec...

cleaning rod, sight hood, and what i already have (maybe an original german sling if i find one that isn't being sold at the price the rabid morons of ebay have pushed them to)

not fooling with locking screws since the notch on one screw doesn't line up when tightened

not removing the shellac because that would go against preservation

Upvote 0
finally found a sling for the 43 byf K98k that i liked enough to put on my rifle (most repros don't look right and original german slings are a tad pricey)

1943_byf_K98k-3.jpg

currently scratching my head about this marking... looks familiar but i'm drawing a blank at the moment

k98sling.jpg

all i need now is a cleaning rod and i'm set... (sight hood and bayonet frog have been ordered)

That marking looks suspiciously like a Hebrew tsadik to me (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsade)
In fact, I'm pretty damn sure it is, the more I look at it.

Perhaps your kar was in the hands of the Israelis at some point?

Upvote 0
Cleaning the shellac of would not be a resotration. Far from it. It would take away the value of you RC imho.

The only way this would be justified IMHO is if you could somehow find all matching parts from other owners. Now that would be a true restoration. Good luck with that.

Untill that day, it is still just a selection of mixed mached russian captured parts shellac intact or not. But it is your rifle so knock yourself out.

A RC K98k is nothing to be ashamed of if it works. I would leave it alone. The shellac is part of the history of the piece.

The shellac is the part where Ivan took it apart and put a ****ty finish on it, just like they did their own Mosins. That's a part of the history of the rifle not worthwhile. I'd consider removing the crap off that melts when you shoot it and adding BLO instead to be a restoration.

Upvote 0
Guess what? "Ivan" won. It was a Soviet rifle far longer than it was German rifle. Whether you like it or not. RC Mausers have this in their history. Stripping the shellac off is stripping away history. This discussion always leads to arguments on every WWII rifle forum I go to.

I don't call my Finn'd Remington M91 a Russian or American rifle. It's a Finnish rifle. The same holds true for the RC Mausers.

Upvote 0

1943_byf_K98k-3.jpg

k98sling.jpg

The sling is post war isrelli made. The isrellis had alot of captured k98s and converted them to fire 7.62. they made slings, stocks and other misc parts for their rifles. I would love to have a real german made sling but im not willing to pay $100+ per sling. These isrelli slings are the closest to a german sling you can get. I personally have 5 of them for my rifles and 3 more squirrel away

As far as the russain caputres, i personally buy them for the german history. I strip the shellac off with denaturated alcohol and acetone on 00000 steel wool. thats all they need. if the wood could use some color i put a coat or two of boiled linseed oil, followed with howard's feed and wax. if the wood doesnt need any color i just put 1 or 2 coats of howards feed and wax. thats it. but recently ive been buying stocks from norway in wich the buttplate, stock, hanguard, bayo lug, band spring and both bands have matching serrial numbers.

herers a AR42 R/C with a norwegian caputed stock. all i did was clean it with DA/Acetone and put on 2 coats of howards feed and wax.

001659_AR42.jpg

heres another. This ones my favorite out of all of them, bore and metal is almost perfect. Its a R/C 1938 42 code (mauser oberndorf) and I found a norwegian stock that is correct for it. All I did was clean it with DA/Acetone, 1 coat of kleen strip's boiled linseed oil and 2 coats of howard's feed and wax. I added a isrelli sling too.

005345_1938_42_2.jpg

005510_1938_42.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0