• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Widescreen love...

Widescreen love...

• Yes (feel free to post what resolution you use)

Votes: 57 90.5%
  • No (please post why)

Votes: 6 9.5%

• Total voters
Hmm UT2004 has native widescreen support(requires .ini edit), so I see no reason for Red Orchestra to be any different.

Just follow these instructions and it should work :http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4656

Of course ut2004.ini = redorchestra.ini.

Thanks. :D
I'll be trying this tonight.
It doesn't work.
I've been playing with it tonight, and it doesn't give you a wider FOV. What it does do is chop the stretch the image and chop off the top and bottom.

Upvote 0
well initiall i played on 1440x900 resolution because at the 1680x1050 it was too streched but then i found this thread and read the tutorial on how to fix it and everything worked well. now i play at 1680x1050 resolution. So thanks guys.

It doesn't work.
I've been playing with it tonight, and it doesn't give you a wider FOV. What it does do is chop the stretch the image and chop off the top and bottom.

Dude i did it yesterday and everything worked perfectly. Make sure you read it completely.

Upvote 0
Not long ago I bought my 4:3 19" LCD Monitor and I wouldn't change it with a widescreen monitor. I always look around like I am paranoid :p For RO I wouldn't need one of those.

Same here. I voted "NO" simply because I don't have a widescreen and I need all the advantage I can get:p
ATM without widescreen support you see the same amount as anyone else, WITH you get to use that extra space at the sides and will see things people without widescreen wouldn't see. So it gives you an unfair advantage over people without that extra viewing area at the sides. Someone post a ss pls that compares the difference? I can't find one
http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/screenshots/hl2.php

Last edited:
Upvote 0
ATM without widescreen support you see the same amount as anyone else, WITH you get to use that extra space at the sides and will see things people without widescreen wouldn't see. So it gives you an unfair advantage over people without that extra viewing area at the sides. Someone post a ss pls that compares the difference? I can't find one​

Have a look..... You SEE better!

Click HERE to SEE the Difference

As I said, you see the game BETTER, not more of it.

Upvote 0
Yea, the zoom is _kinda_ nice when you're using widescreen resolution, though it's just not right.

Using the Optiquest 20" wide Q20WB, the picture is perfect in every way.... fonts, aspect ratio and clarity. I have yet to see better in a 20" wide screen.

AFAIC, it is "right" in every way. I have found this monitor to be the best value on the market in widescreen 20" monitors.

It makes Red Orchestra heaps more enjoyable. :)

Upvote 0
That link just shows the screen stretched a bit so it fills the monitor..that wouldn't be a problem at all. Go to Counter-strike Source in the list and you will see what I mean. Link:

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/screenshots/cs-source.php

Thats what the original poster seems to be asking for.

It doesn't strecth it, it zooms in a bit and cuts a portion of vertical view range.

And Mike, it isn't right when I can only see the tip of my PPSH 41 while playing RO. I can barely see the tip of the barrel.

Upvote 0
It doesn't work.

well initiall i played on 1440x900 resolution because at the 1680x1050 it was too streched but then i found this thread and read the tutorial on how to fix it and everything worked well. now i play at 1680x1050 resolution. So thanks guys.

Dude i did it yesterday and everything worked perfectly. Make sure you read it completely.
These are the results of changing the FOV settings in the User.ini file
This is how it looks when using my CRT monitor at 1152x862, without changing any other settings.

1152x864atfov85dg0.png

And this is when using my widescreen LCD at 1680x1050, and the FOV in the User.ini has been changed from 85 to 110.

As you can see, while the picture is wider, you don't actually see anymore. The top and bottom of the screen are cropped. As Xendance says, the FOV is fixed and changing the User.ini doesn't change things.
1152x864atfov85ga3.png

I'm backed up into a corner, so that I know I'm in the exact same spot.

Upvote 0
playing it @ 1680x1050 @ dell 22inch...
Works super...
But do you get an increased Field Of Vision, or do you get the same FOV, with the top (and bottom) cut off, as in my post.
I bet if you stand in the same corner, and get the tail-plane of the Stuka just on the edge of the picture, you won't see anymore of the tree on the right.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
But do you get an increased Field Of Vision, or do you get the same FOV, with the top (and bottom) cut off, as in my post.
I bet if you stand in the same corner, and get the tail-plane of the Stuka just on the edge of the picture, you won't see anymore of the tree on the right.

You get the same FOV (value that is, the actual FOV is smaller).

Upvote 0
No they shouldn't implement widescreen support because it would give too much of an advantage to people with widescreen monitors.

It wouldn't tip it over to the extent that it's like cheating. If you maintain the proper Field of View, then it just makes for a more enjoyable gaming experience. Even a more natural one. Trust me, it's no wall hack. You Still have to see and shoot your opponent the good ol' fasion way :D

Upvote 0
I think people are distorting the idea of how this works and what the point of widescreen is for.

There are some problems if you look at that picture. Most of it is because the method used to make it widescreen isn't quite right. Is seems to zoom a bit (maybe the picture isn't taken in the exact same place), and the top and bottom are cut off. Look at the building, and look at his hands.

If the devs fixed this problem, widescreen users can view the game in the correct FOV, and increase the viewable area on both sides of the screen.

Upvote 0