• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The Wild Bunch & Tripwire Interactive's 50 player test server

Just finished playing, was running beautifully for most of the night, even with 60 players, up until Lyes Krovy when it started to get a little nasty. Chugged a little on Basovka at the start aswell, but soon smoothed out.

It's now back up and running all standard maps at 50 players max, on the plus side everythings working fine and so far its been running smoothly, but the downside is they've fixed the crazy-armless-legless-zombie-statue problem, so now it's "just" plain old awesome 50 players with no mad walks through the screenshot gallery that was Danzig.:D But seriously, great job guys and I look forward to more chaotic battles and the almost instantly depleting reinforcement counts they create.

Upvote 0
Amazing, just amazing!

Played Basovka, Krasni and Odessa. One of my best times in RO.
Server handled it OK, no lag or anything for me (only some disconnections on map change)

I guess official maps could be easily modified for 40+ or 50+ players. Some custom maps will be perfec for 50+ (berenzina, parisier, orel)

Great job TW and thx to TWB for the server!!! :)

PS: Is the UT3 engine multithreaded? There are more and more dual core machines on the user side (I'l be buying one myself in a couple of months) and more servers with dual core or multiprocesors that can take advantage of that technology

Upvote 0
can we get a feedback from the devs so far, how it runs perfomance whise? If possible of course.

It would be interesting to know, how far the limit can be pushed without any "major" problems (like lags, missing shots etc.) for high quality servers, if anything.

It seems that from the rewviews here, it runned mor or less "smoth" for some people, even playing from the US, so i think it is possible push the limit higher?

As said, just asking for some official informations you are willingly to tell. Or still in the testing phase where nothing is definite. Just curious.

Upvote 0
One problem I foresee with this exciting development...

TW will have to decide what to do with whatever resources are left over from "The Next Big Thing":

Concentrate them on producing maps that can be played on the few Servers that have the kind of hardware firepower required? or on maps that all servers can run?

It would be a good testbed for mappers to work out how to make good gameplay maps with that kinda number of players; if UE3 is going to make 50+ more likely an option due to some netcode jiggery-pokery, that is.

Upvote 0
One problem I foresee with this exciting development...

TW will have to decide what to do with whatever resources are left over from "The Next Big Thing":

Concentrate them on producing maps that can be played on the few Servers that have the kind of hardware firepower required? or on maps that all servers can run?

It would be a good testbed for mappers to work out how to make good gameplay maps with that kinda number of players; if UE3 is going to make 50+ more likely an option due to some netcode jiggery-pokery, that is.

Relax.... we had 64 player servers for CoD/CoDUO/CoD2 that ran fine.... it'll all work out in the end. ;)

Upvote 0
That's all well and good but I am simply thinking out loud about the implications of changing an important aspect of the game.

Any change needs to be managed - "it'll all come out in the end" is a fine attitude in many circumstances but I really doubt RO got to where it is today on the basis of it. If I were running this (and I'm sure many of you sleep easier for knowing that I am NOT ;) ) I would be asking myself the following...

"Which do I do? If I am going to be paying guys pro rata I could ask them to make a map for 50+ players, knowing that it would be good PR for my game and may potentially bring in new players but I would alienate existing server admins whose rig does not stretch to this by producing stuff they CANNOT use and possibly draws players away from their servers."

That's the kind of dilemna/business decision that interests me.

An option which just occurred to me is to make a mut which changes class limits and reinf levels for maps depending on the server max player limit. Dunno if that is possible (or, at least, easily achievable).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
[...]
An option which just occurred to me is to make a mut which changes class limits and reinf levels for maps depending on the server max player limit. Dunno if that is possible (or, at least, easily achievable).
That should be possible, or better I'm sure its (not knowing how to do it ;) ).

TW does not have to make new maps, why should they? As you pointed out yourself that could take a lot of time and maybe they would not work that well with fewer people. But as you noticed yourself the community can achieve a lot.
Imo for TW it's far more interesting to provide tools (i.e. open hardcoded stuff like the player limit) and sit back to see what evolves and include that maybe later on in a new RO version if it reaches the quality criteras than to step foward and assign time (i.e money) to a maybe not so important task.
In fact if they still have capacities why shouldn't they assign them.

Upvote 0
I think the focus on this thread needs to be 'what are the issues here and now, what works and what doesn't?'

This is a test server, and TWB and TI need feedback on the actual here-and-now running of the server, not speculation about how tactics will change once the final release is available - that's a long way off.

By all means start a seperate thread about 'How will 50+ servers change RO gameplay', but it'd be helpful if this thread could be for feedback on the actual running of TWB's server.

Upvote 0
http://youtube.com/watch?v=0gYyckfIbuA

:D

Anywho, the chances that everyone has this powerful of a server is slim and none. Check the first page, but this is one f****g powerful machine.

If you don't have something this good, don't even think of getting more than 32 players.

And the bottom line in regards to reinforcements and cramped gameplay is that maps will need to be redesigned. Period.

Upvote 0
Played this last night, it was a lot of fun and ran amazingly well, i didnt notice any increase in ping or fps drop.

Having said that it does have a lot of gameplay problems, some maps such as the confined urban ones have major nade spam problems as so many players are confined into such a small area. On larger maps i can see this working perfectly fine however (such as rakowice or barashka).

Another issue that has made itself apparent to me is communication. With such large teams each individual player composes a smaller proportion of the overall team and as such can have much less of an impact on the overall battle. Its much harder to do solo attacks with these numbers and you really need to have some sort of squad system, currently the organisational structure to control these numbers does not exist. This lends a bias towards the defenders as setting up an organised defence is far easier than an organised attack.

Upvote 0
Hey PUTZ love the video...lol.. and yes it was true that comment at the end very few players experienced lag of any kind on the server.

Which was quite amazing really even we were amazed by the performance along with [RO]schneidzekk who was on hand almost all night while the testing continued.

We started at 50 players and ended up at 60!!! on the Infantry maps but I must admit it was chaos ..but hey.. this was "Total RO"...War is madness especially with 50+ players online in one server...lol

The server has had some work done during the night and is ready to face a new day of "Total RO War" it is now set back to 50 players and running ALL standard map types...So book a spot and try out a tank map tonight...with 49 other players...:D

Upvote 0