• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics How does one attack an entrenched enemy?

Know where to be rambo and where to be sneaky. When you reach the action zone, look around a bit and check what the enemy is doing. Watch some friendly die if you want to be sure :) If it's safe and you're sure you can place your shots better than them, charge. If not, hold your ground or go flanking. Just my 2 cents :)

Upvote 0
It's hard to say as it depends so much on the situation, just you assaulting, team assaulting maps, smoke etc.. But some general ideas/rules I have.

- This is not Counter Strike or DoD (thank god) so remember that crawling for 15 seconds is perfectly fine if the nade you finally throw works. Might sound a long time, but it's still way shorter than a 20 second respawn timer plus the time to walk back to the postion.

- If you're by yourself, wait for backup or some other kamakazi idiot who charges blindly :p. While they are getting mowed down do your charge and toss a nade. Also helps to sidestep while charging.

- On the being nicer side of teamwork, if you see someone whos going to blunder into a strongpoint, just shoot at the wall hiding the enemy. They usually get the message someone is there.

- Overwatch/support. If people are advancing, get a braced spot to shoot anyone popping up from cover. If people are already setup in shooting positions, don't setup beside them, push on and then setup youself for them to push on. Seeing a team roll this way can be rare, but a dream to see.

- Angles, remember that in the game people only see ~45 degrees left and right (more for wide screens), not the ~90 you get in real life. So as long as you're not right in front, you can get away with a lot more than you would in real life.

- Quick charges, if you've just taken a strong point chances are the enemy are waiting to respawn, CHARGE the next point before they get time to setup. If you get there first you might get 3-4 easy kills as they blunder in expecting it to be clear. This is one of the biggest mistake when not done on maps like Gorlitz (great assault map).

Upvote 0
I usually follow the smoke (if the commander is using it)

Also stoping from time to time to get a an idea of where the enemy is works OK (not just charge blindy)

Another good tactic to storm a room where you know there is a guy waiting for you,is to throw a nade in, even if you don't kill him the explosion may "supress" him enough to give you a chance of killing him.

But the fault-proof tactic is to throw your guns away and run towards the enemy while yelling insults in game and screaming "LERRROY JENKINS!!!!"
The enemy will get so scared that will just flee the battlefield :D

Upvote 0
On of my favortie tricks. There is a guy camping a door, unknown number of baddies around as well so you cant take the time to aim lean,or hes arifle and you are pistol/smg/hip MG. nor do you have the time to aim the nade behind his cover before he shoots.

So what you do is pull a nade, chuck it quick in his door. Pull the next,cook, time a sprint so you get to the doorframe just as your nade goes off, get in the door and chuck the second and either head for cover on the other side or rush. Works almost everytime.

Upvote 0
"- On the being nicer side of teamwork, if you see someone whos going to blunder into a strongpoint, just shoot at the wall hiding the enemy. They usually get the message someone is there."

This is definantly a potential for a common TK moment.

"- On the being nicer side of teamwork, if you see someone whos going to blunder into a strongpoint, just shoot them by the wall hiding the enemy. They usually get the message someone is there."

:D

Upvote 0
Also, if you are German listen for the spoon on the F1 grenade. If a defender is priming his nade he is about to throw it, this is a good time to charge because if he throws it the grenade will most likely explode behind you plus, it will take him a moment to ready his rifle/smg at this time you can mow him down without him being able to fire back quickly.

Upvote 0
"- On the being nicer side of teamwork, if you see someone whos going to blunder into a strongpoint, just shoot at the wall hiding the enemy. They usually get the message someone is there."

This is definantly a potential for a common TK moment.

:D

Hehe, you mean on the panic turnaround spray they do when hearing the bullets? Well I do it before they get to far ahead so it's not a from behind shot... and as I'm in cover anyway it's not too dangerous. Haven't been shot yet.. well for that reason at least :D.

T.

Upvote 0
Well, if you are ever on the other end of having a cooked nade in your hand while being charged, just cover your losses. Hold on to the nade and just dodge around until it kills both of you.

This is also not terrible when attacking. If you are absolutely 100% sure of a group of where a group of multiple enemies are, suicide nade rushes are a great way to at least cause confusion, if not kill a few baddies in the process. You shouldn't hold onto the nade until it explodes, but try to throw it at very short distances and then get away if you can. Yes, you will die, either by your nade, or by enemy (sometimes friendly) bullets, but if done correctly can really screw with the enemy while the rest of the team moves up and finishes what you started.

Upvote 0
Stay behind cover and shoot towards the enemy, don't bother too much about hitting, just throw some lead at him to suppress him, then you sprint to the next cover, rinse repeat until you get close enough to throw a grenade, as soon as it goes off, or before, you sprint toward the enemy, and hopefully you'll catch him when he's dazed and confused by the explosion :D

Upvote 0
Just because there isn't much talking going on, don't assume no teamwork is happening. Either through bashfulness or lack of a mic or just knowing the map quite well a lot of people will work together without necessarily speaking. [Splat] clan's server has often got very good vocal teamwork going on if you are after it.
QFT. I don't have a mic but I teamplay quite efficiently. The fact that I'm a lightning fast typist helps, but never underestimate the power of the voice command menu either. Once you learn the useful combinations it's easy. :p

Anyway, onto the topic at hand. I have to agree with the people who say make good use of cover fire and grenades.

But I'm not usually so reserved as to wait until I've got someone covering my back, I move very quickly and unpredictably, all the time looking and listening for enemies where I expect them to be. If I get fired on I hit the dirt immediately if it's practical to do so, take cover and then peek out to figure out where they are if I didn't spot them right away. Good eyesight helps immeasurably. I guess you could say I draw fire then figure out where it came from and attack. I mostly only use this tactic as an assault trooper or semi-auto rifleman though. With a bolt-action you need to be a bit more reserved.

Once you've spotted your dug-in enemy figure out if there's any way you can get around or above them to catch them off guard. If there is do so quickly or it may occur to them and they may start covering other angles as well as the place they last saw you. If there isn't a good way to flank them, a well-placed grenade will usually do the trick. (Either kill them or force them to move.)

Upvote 0
- Overwatch/support. If people are advancing, get a braced spot to shoot anyone popping up from cover. If people are already setup in shooting positions, don't setup beside them, push on and then setup youself for them to push on. Seeing a team roll this way can be rare, but a dream to see.

The rest of this post is valuable, but this is priceless.

Upvote 0
If you're talking about Basovka specifically, the way I think works best is everyone (bar the machine gunners) spreads out evenly, mounts bayonets and charges from the very get go, and I mean everyone, every damn last schutze. If half you schutze lay on their bellies and pot shot you're sunk.

Everyone should throw their grenades when in range and should basically aim for the first grenade to go into the AT trench and the second up onto the raised ground behind it.

Then it's all balls, bayonets, and smgs, it's pretty realistic in that you have to be ruthless and agreesive to take a trench off of the enemy :D

Upvote 0
in your question you answered your question. a straight out charge is suicide, and should only be done if thats the objective. when i was recenetly on lenningrad as the sapper, defending the anti tank position. the german tanks both moved in and cut off our reinforcements, i ripped a satchel and ran at them, got killed. the satchel blew them both up.

when attacking, move from cover to cover when possible, and realise that in mooving you attrack attention, so when you go down to cover, stay down for atelast 5 seconds so that those targeting you awaiting you getting back up will probably be targeting somone else. also peek up and take out any obvious targets, but dont stick round for longer then 20 seconds, a stagnant attack is no better then not attacking.

youl get the hang of it with enough play, but the best "one liner" that explains how to perform combat in RO is:" fight like this is real life, you dont want to die, and you want to kill those SOB's"

Upvote 0