• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

STALKER Mega-Thread; Clear Skies are Coming!

Im experimenting with modding the prefetch list, i had a gander at it, and it is absolutely HUGE! now im trying to see if i can slim it down to a point where it runs better than -noprefetch (in theory it should be possible, it should be a good idea to prefetch some common items).

Thus far i have allmost halved the list of items, and i have gotten it to run ok with that, it still hiccups, but not nearly as severe, but still the -noprefetch string runs better, i'll slim some more and see what happens..

Upvote 0
Very, very good game.

One of the most demanding, if not the most demanding I have had the pleasure to play.

It was the straw that broke the camels back for me !

My HD had been chkdsk'ed /r, a couple of times already, as well as a complete transfer/ ghost, I do believe.

So, new Windows, new everything, gonna get myself a new camel tomorrow !

Very, very good game.

I jumped out of my skin more than once :eek: :eek: :eek: !!!

Upvote 0
http://www.amazon.com/Stalker-Andre...0-0274342?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1175572035&sr=8-2

Anyone who even mildly enjoys the STALKER story or atmosphere must see this movie. After seeing it, you'll be able to see where the devs got the ideas for the three Stalker factions.

I second that recommendation, a beautiful film. Although, whilst I picked up on the obvious inpirations (the use of bolts to find a safe path, characters named after professions etc..) I must confess the thought of the characters used as inspiration for the 3 major factions hadn't occured to me, seems quite obvious in retrospect, thanks for increasing my enjoyment of both titles.:)

Anyway, on the topic of the game, anyone know of any artifacts that increase your carry weight? Even an extra 5 kilo's would help since it could go towards the vast amount of ammo I feel the irrational need to carry.:eek:

Also, if anyone wants a free bulldog 6 grenade launcher plus 8-ish VOG-25's without having to fight your way into the freedom ammo locker:
[hidden for those who like finding stuff on their own] In the small village to the north-west of the freedom base that's infested with bloods"lurp"ers, there's a house quite close to the dirt-road with a borded up front door, a hole in the wall facing freedom base and a larger hole facing the water tower (may be a house near that one instead, cant quite say for sure). One of the northern-most rooms contains a cellar which, in-turn, contains the veritable treasure of explosives alongside the skeleton of the previous owner. Note: it may not be there, I'm not sure whether STALKER has pre-set weapons (i think it's the case) or random ones, still, I'm fairly certain it should be there. [/kinda spoiler]:D

Upvote 0
I just beat it....truly an awesome experience.

I see so much potential though for it to be even greater. I wish it was at least 4 times bigger/longer, make the zone epic epic epic BIGGER BIGGER BIGGER! LESS LINEAR, MORE FREE FORM/ THE DECISION IS YOURS type gameplay. So many things have been mentioned at official forums to improve/fix the game and I agree with many of them. Some more ideas floating in my head, (some of which have been suggested before):

How about being able to join any faction you want Bandits, mercs, whatever? (or not) Or how about eliminate some factions (or all) and just have it a free for all every man for himself with the occasional base settlement which is not affiliated with any "group". I don't know exactly the best idea but it just seems kinda cheap (and not believable) all these organized "factions" with these clear cut beliefs etc.

Sleep: You never need to sleep as it is now you are just continously awake for the entire game and you never need to worry about finding a secure area to nap or at least rest for a while. Make it so you don't have to sit for hours while you sleep but you set up everything to your liking (find a good secure resting spot) and then hit a "sleep" key. Then the game determines what happened to you and if you survived the night (or not). You could also have nightmares that play out in movie form while the calculations determine your slumbers outcome.

More Randomness: What about having random military helo patrols all throughout the zone? They spot you and you are in deep **** unless you are prepared to "bring it"

More desolate: I don't know I'd just like it to be generally more "apocalyptic" and "dread filled" all around. Maybe a mod where a general goal is to locate secret nuclear documents/secrets and sell them to the outside interests. Another could possibly be obtain nuclear material for "outside interests" (not "PC" but hey, I like it) stuff like that. Less fantasy, more RL bleakness & lack of resources/ desperation (Mad Max-like). Just some ideas I'm throwing out.

Serious RL weapon behavior: (awesomely someone is working on just that) http://www.gsc-game.com/index.php?t=community&s=forums&s_game_type=xr〈=en

One other little thing which I don't "get": What's with all the stupid names for NPCs? Blaska Spaghetti, Mirno Cornbread, Spissle Yeast Packet.....When every other guy you meet has an idiotic name the "joke" wears thin and detracts from the atmosphere.

In the end STALKER is awesome, but it has the potential for a hell of alot more than it currently offers.

I know this would be more pertinent by posting on the STALKER forum but I haven't got around to it, one game forum is enough for me, heh.

Upvote 0
EDIT: BTW Odin, i can make a simple Trader mod for you so the first trader has the Toz34 in stock (the over-under Shottie), but without all the over-the-top stuff the Trader mod has.
Just say the word, it'd only take me a few minutes to make.
Thanks, but no thanks. I quite like the trader mod, it actually makes the money useful now.

Upvote 0
I see so much potential though for it to be even greater. I wish it was at least 4 times bigger/longer
stalkernewzonemapja2.jpg

Upvote 0

Yeah Paajtor, it's maddening.....Are they teasing us about expansions to come and the expansion better be right around the corner?...(if so I don't like not knowing if I'm being teased or not) because people aren't going to wait another bunch of years for them to finish the job. It's great what they accomplished but damn.. I sure wish they would've got alot more done. Maybe they should've hired some more level designers it would've been worth it.

Upvote 0
Well I am supremely pissed at the moment. I just loaded up my most recent save and my character is stuck in a part of the terrain. I have no other saves close to this point of the game :mad:

Post it on the GSC Forums in the single player bug report thingamajig.

So complicated this game, you don't know whats a bug and whats not !

Love it/hate it !

Upvote 0