• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Some interesting facts about Kar 98k

To load the 6th round, you'd have to push down on the 5th round in the magwell to be able to close the bolt.
But literarry you'd have to jam the bolt forward to close it.
Opening? ANother story.

I tried it with My Marushin k98 (which is as close as you get to a real thing action wise) and could not close the bolt. Well I could've if I yank or jam it closed.

And ye the k98,G43,FG42,MG15,Mg34,Mg42 etc. all use the same ammunition.

Upvote 0
If you can jam a 6th round into a K98's magazine you're either talented or have a ****ed up k98. I just tried and the 6th round wouldn't even budge, let alone sit with the rest. In order to correctly chamber the round, the bolt has to "grab" the cartridge as it loads into the barrel. Forcing a round in without letting the bolt catch leads to a jammed rifle. There's really no way to do it with 6.

If you really wanted to load 6 you could. You'd just have to open the floorplate after the first round is loaded, then put the other 5 rounds in through the bottom.

Upvote 0
I can load 6 into my Remington 700 6mm, but that rifle isn't my k98. The k98 just isn't built for it.

So anyway are you suggesting this should be added to the game?

Yeah, alot of German snipers did it, I read about it in a book about a German sniper named Georg Frick, his squad of snipers also used the same tactic. And for the 2nd post the 6th round can be a round taken from the belt of the MG34.

Upvote 0
But why don't you chamber the 6th round first & THEN fit the mag.
No stress on any parts & you have 6 rounds loaded.
As far as I know you can do this woth ANY weapon.

Which is exactly why trying somthing like this can be a very bad (and even deadly) idea, because somthing like this CAN'T be done on every weapon. Just because someone said so or another firearm does it, doesn't mean every firearm can do it. Unless you are absolutely sure, beyond any doubt and with an expert or manual to back your claim up, you should NEVER attempt to try somthing like this.

If you really wanted to load 6 you could. You'd just have to open the floorplate after the first round is loaded, then put the other 5 rounds in through the bottom.

You would think somthing like this would work, but it usually doesn't unless you have a broken or bent loading spring. It is true that the K98 has a bottom latch to its magazine, and it does hold five rounds at once before you bolt the rifle. But the problem is the spring mechanism only (normally) goes down far enough to just expose the top edge of the fifth round so the bolt can grab onto it for extracting, but no lower than that.

If trying this procedure, you would likely find yourself trying to push the bottom latch closed another centimeter, and forcing a rifle like that, even a little, can have dangerious long term results and will most likely damage the firearm.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Military folk usually short load their magazines to keep the feeding spring from wearing out. A weakened spring may not feed properly.

In 'Nam, I have read that the USGI's would load their 20-round M-16 magazines with 16-17 rounds to keep the magazine in proper working order. The new USGI 30 round mags have a redesigned feeding plate to help prevent jamming.

Upvote 0
In 'Nam, I have read that the USGI's would load their 20-round M-16 magazines with 16-17 rounds to keep the magazine in proper working order. The new USGI 30 round mags have a redesigned feeding plate to help prevent jamming.

Two different issues there BuddyLee. Underloading the mag is to lessen wear on the magazine spring. The various redesigns of the followers are primarily to prevent the follower from tilting and thus inducing a malfunction.

Upvote 0
The only bolt action rifles I've handled are the Lee Enfield No.4 and No.8 rifles. In our "skill-at-arms" training for the No.4, we had to put the rifle into different "conditions" (always applying the safety catch at the end).
  • unloaded, empty magazine, bolt closed and not cocked
  • loaded, rounds in magazine, bolt closed with a round chambered, and cocked
  • made safe, rounds in magazine, bolt is closed on an empty chamber, and not cocked
Now, for the the drill for "making safe" was to open the bolt, remove the magazine, check the chamber was clear, close the bolt, pull the trigger while taking proper aim, apply the safety catch and replace the magazine.

The unoffical way was to open the bolt, check the chamber was clear, close the bolt while pushing the top round down so it wasn't chambered, etc.
You can usually squeeze about 13 rounds into the No.4 and still "make it safe".

So, what were the drills used by the German army for handling the Kar98?
Did they stand sentry duty with a empty rifle or with a loaded and cocked rifle?

Upvote 0
I use that all the time when im using my Mauser at the riflerange, its fast and easy. Dont see the trouble with having 6 rounds in the rifle? Its just practical ^^

still doesn't lessen the fact that only 5 rounds can be put into a k98. 5 rounds is all you can fit it, period. I fit 6 into my 6mm rifle, but my k98...just can't press the rounds down like I can in the 6mm. It's hard for me to explain right now as I'm a bit tipsy, but if you had the rilfe, you would understand.

You seem to have a ****ed k98 =S or maybe its mine... *shurgs* who knows? It seems pritty authentic...
5 rounds in the magazine, press down one single, close the bolt. => 1 round in the chamber.. 5 in the magazine, no problem =S.

Upvote 0
I know you can easily put 11 in an Enfield, you just load two chargers, slide a loose one into the camber and then gently push down the top round in the magazine and ease the bolt over it so it doesn't strip it out. Then you lock her and off you go. Why you'd go to the trouble though I couldn't say.

Also I don't see any latent danger in putting 6 into a KAR98, you could do it exactly the same way as I described above, it's not like the top round of the magazine is sitting in an odd spot there is always a round there because of the upwards force applied by the follower. Remember the magazine holds 5 before you close the bolt, all you're doing is applying that extra fraction of pressure to stop it initially stripping the top round out when you put number six in. It's not going to make the weapon explode in your hands.

Upvote 0
It's not going to make the weapon explode in your hands.

Its more along the lines of, we know its not going to explode, and the chances of it going off are slim, but because it is a firearm, and that it can end a persons life in an instant, you should treat a firearm as if it could go off at any time, even if you know its not.

Also, I have a new announcement for this topic.

Now that it's finally getting warm enough where I live (Minnesota) I decided to take my firearms out of winter storage yesterday (I was going to do it earlier this month, but then it got cold again.), and during cleaning and basic matenience I went to check the bolt and other mechanisms with some dry-fire (fake) bullets, and this thread poped into my head, I figured I should give the 6th round thing a shot.

It turns out that I was wrong. The K98 (Or at least MY K98.) can hold five rounds inside it's internal mag while the bolt is closed on a sixth round. I cant say for sure if this will work with all K98's, all I'm saying is that it works with MY K98. On the off chance that my K98 has a worn down spring, I'm going to have it checked out as soon as I can.

So I want to apolojize for unintentially bringing false information forward, my comments were based on logic, common sence, and firearm safety basics, and were not intended to disarm this topic in any way. I am sorry for not actually testing out the information before commenting.

Having discovered this, however, I tried a few searches online and I couldn't find any information on loading a 6th round into a K98. (Or any of it's variants.) Now that I have found it is possible, I've found it strange that I couldn't find any info on it.

However, even though I was wrong, I still wouldn't suggest doing this often, as I have no experience with any mechanical problems or safety hazards that could be related to loading a 6th round into the K98.

Last edited:
Upvote 0