• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Il-2 thread

yes srry man, i'd buy the game, its just going on 6 years old now and nearly impossible to get in stores. if i find it, i buy it, OK?!
Hard to find?
Hello?
Il2 '46 has just recently been released.
And I don't know where you shop but it's anything but hard to find over here...
The distinctive cover helps spotting it, too!

geez, you almost think some people actually beleive they can deny that they have aquired a game this way once in their life....:eek:
Doing something and boasting about it are two totally different things...

Upvote 0
Is the force feedback really necessary? I've read a couple of reviews saying the auto center wears out. Any of you guys experience this?
Owning both a FF and a non-FF joystick (same model, BTW, MS Sidewinder Precision Pro) I can assure you that it definately plays differently.
I would say the non-FF one is easier to handle and more precise because you don't experience any gun recoil (apart from the screen shaking), allowing for quite some sniping shots.
It also does auto-center more easily, but I doubt that is due to wear but rather the nonexisting influence of airstream on the flaps and aerlions (which you would experience in a real plane, btw).

Generally, if you want to simulate the planes depicted in Il-2, a FF stick is definately the better choice as a non-FF stick handles just like a fly-by-wire plane which is a modern concept :)

Because it requires an additional power connection I am using the non-FF stick most of the time (I'm sort of out of power sockets in the hear vicinity of my rig...).
It's also heavier and a bit bigger but that should not be a problem when it's placed on a desk (the non-FF model can actually be held in both hands, it has a sort of gripping handle beneath it - very nice for arcadish sci-fi shooters as it feels more gamepad-like :p)

So, no, FF is certainly no necessity, but it's nice to have.
For beginners it may be easier to go without it, but generally comes down to personal preference.
I would strongly advise you to try the model out at the shop if possible.
Oh, and make sure it's connected and a game is loaded up because otherwise it feels a bit "impotent" ;)

Upvote 0
Any words of wisdom or good websites I should check out are greatly appreciated.

I would suggest checking out Ubi's forum, there you can find tutorials on doing the simplest things such as taking off and landing, and if you need specific help you can just ask. you can also find fan-made videos, aircraft skins, and hand-made campaigns there too.

Upvote 0
hurriminuswing.jpg

Proof hurricanes are the best plane in il2, they have additonal wing you dont even need.

Upvote 0