• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Realism mods and games

trillex

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
After having played a bit Project Reality (BF2 mod), spiced with a bit of Red Orchestra afterwards - I've been looking for other games and/or mods that try to make realistic simulations fun to play.

What do you play, why and why should I pick it up? :)

Well there's the most well known realism mod... Infiltration for Unreal Tournament.

Also, Move In! for HL1, while not a total realism mod, has enough realistic elements to be considered as such imo. Unfortunately beta 1 was released a year ago with some pretty bad bugs that ruined it, no patches have been released since. If the dev team (or whatever is left of it) ever does cobble together a patch to fix most of the huge bugs then it will great.

Though both of those mods are for old game engines, Insurgency is a modern themed realism HL2 mod, but the release date is still unknown.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Buy Armed Assault if you can run it, or Operation Flashpoint if you can't.
Its just great and you will have a hard time finding a more realistic game. There ARE more realistic flight-sims, more realistic infantery-shooters, more realistic tank-sim, but you won't find a game that has all of it (apart from this ww2 online thingy, but you have to pay a monthly fee there, and of course apart from real simulations, which are produced for army personel).

Flashpoint is a very thrilling game, its exceptionally long and if you buy the GotY-Edition you also get the two expansions "Red Hammer" and "Resistance" (Resistance rocks!). If you are done with these campaigns, you can download the FDF mod, which contains a complete campaign where you control a soldier of the Finish Defense Forces. Then you can download and play thousands of missions created by others, or you can simply create your own missions with the editor that comes with the game. Its very easy to use. You don't build the level, you just use an existing island (those are HUGE and you can also download custom ones) and on them you creat missions. That means you place enemy soldiers and vehicles, friendly soldiers and vehicles, paths they should follow, objectives to complete and what not.

The value is theoretically endless. Some games are over some day but you might still whish to play on. In Flashpoint it ends as soon as you stop because you are bored. Not a second sooner.

Upvote 0
expierience ww2 for bf1942 is definatly worth checking out, best realism mod for bf42, sadly only few people play it, at somepoint it was popular and had many players but suddenly...

Well it is not a miracle that visual quality and more toys > not-so-good visuals, beter gameplay and lesser toys.

FH is not a bad mod, but certainly it lacks some quality that XWWII has, especially when it comes to some small details and the armour system.

It does look breathtaking to see a tank burning and emiting very black smoke so that it is actually visible up to like 300-400 yards. And that the hit that penetrates your tank ends up destroying it in 3\4 of cases. And the fact that you know that weapons are deadly rather than just have weird rock-paper-scissor balance :p

I would say Panzer General II. Hell of a old game, pretty buggy one and lbalbalab, but don't know any beter game to re-create the idea how Blitzkrieg works in smaller scale.

Close Combat II is also one very old game, but don't know any beter RTS or strategy game at all that would cover up Operation Market Garden so good.

Now people are going to hang me up for this, but Brothers in Arms is also quite good. Yes, it is not HC realism as people expect, but certainly I personally like the fact it shows the fact that battles can often be more tactical based than just "I PWNZOR JOOOO!" and it is pretty neutral about the sides.

Panzer Front Ausf. B is possibly the best lightweight tank simulator out there based on WWII, too bad it is console only game thought.

Just something from tip of my head.

Upvote 0
why is no-one mentioning Ghost Recon 1 + expansions? :p SINNERS! :p
but seriously, GR had one of the best AI for its time ( IMO ) because i could send my team to places without having to babysit them personally. i just bring up the tactical map, give them waypoints, they go there on their own and engage threats very effectively. that was a real relieve from some other games. this gave me the space to use tactics ( multiple path approaches, etc ) instead of watching the friendly AI getting themselves killed praying 'no no, no dont go there please no... cmon, shoot them! cant you be more accurate! DAMNIT! ****ERS! their they went and got themselves killed again!'.
while still not making it over-easy. they could get killed ofcourse, if they got surprised ( wich usually means you were rushing them towards places ).

but GR1 and its expansions are the only GR games worth mentioning.
GR2 is console only ( wich ofcourse is a way down from good old pc-gaming thanks to the fact that console movement ****s balls compared to pc-controls ), and GR3 isnt great either compared to old GR. to scripted in my personal opinion. it isnt easy, you get killed pretty fast but not as fast as you would in GR.

You could also go for Hidden and Dangerous 2, or ofcourse Hidden and Dangerous 1 ( H&D1 is the game that made tactical gaming popular, despite many bugs in its first release.. that should speak for itself ).
and as mentioned, Operation Flashpoint and Armed Assault. although personally i like Armed Assault less, it feels different and the more modern weapons arent my cup of tea. the M4 feels really weak compared to OFP's m16.

And the old R6 games, up to Raven Shield. any game newer then Raven Shield blows and dishonours the R6 franchise. ( after RS the series went mainstream, simplified, actionised, hollywoodised, noobified, whatever you wanna call it. its just aint R6 anymore )

Upvote 0