• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Gun show on Saturday: Need info

Gunfan9x19

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 28, 2006
USA
Alright, the biggest gun show in the area comes into town on Saturday. I've been looking forward to this show for several months now. One thing I hope to get there is a Mauser 98K. Can somebody provide me with a list of the WWII date codes? And what would be a fair price for a non-RC 98K in VG(+/-)condition theseadays?

Also, last I heard, SVTs were going for around $800. Has this changed?

Also, I'll be keeping an eye out for a Type 99 Arisaka. I haven't been able to find enough listings online to reach a conclusive estimation of value, but it appears that such a gun in decent condition should go for around $250. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Arisika would be about right around $250. Mind you that on the market right now are a lot of Arisaka training rifles. Those were designed for drill and basic training only and I would not shoot one if I found one. Beware of this and ask.

Non-RC K98? Good luck. You won't likely find one and if you do it will be outragousely priced.

SVT, yes. Saw one for $700 at last show. Got mine via forum P2P agreement for $625. They are getting harder to find though.

Upvote 0
copied from a website

* Mauser, Obendorf- S/42K .
* J.P Sauer, Suhl- S/147K

* Mauser, Obendorf- S/42G .
* J.P Sauer- S/147G ERMA- S/27G
* Mauser, Borsigwalde- S/243G

1936-1945 had the date stamped on the reciever ring

non-RC? when one pops up $800+ isn't unheard of

SVT... for one in average condition (frosted or dark bore and arsenal refinished) $700-800 would be the average... for the rare shiny bore SVT i've seen those go around $1200... i really want an SVT but have trouble dropping as much or more than i paid for my sniper for one

Upvote 0
I was going to go off of the top of my head on the account of me being a lazy bastard, but I will just cut and paste:

1934:
Mauser, Obendorf- S/42K
J.P Sauer, Suhl- S/147K

1935:
Mauser, Obendorf- S/42G
J.P Sauer- S/147G ERMA- S/27G
Mauser, Borsigwalde- S/243G

1936:
Mauser, Obendorf- S/42 above date 1936
J. P. Sauer- S/147 above date 1936
ERMA- S/27 above date 1936
Mauser, Bosigwalde- S/243 above date 1936
Berlin-Lubecker- S/237 above date 1936

1937:
Mauser, Obendorf- S/42, 1937
J. P. Sauer- S/147, 1937
ERMA- S/27, 1937
Mauser, Borsigwalde- S/243, 1937
Berlin-Lubecker- S/237, 1937
Berlin-Suhler-Waffen (BSW)- BSW, date 1937

1938:
Mauser, Obendorf- S/42 1938, and also "42" 1938
J. P. Sauer- S/147 1938, and also "147" 1938
ERMA- S/27, 1938, and also "27" 1938
Mauser, Borsigwalde- S/243 1938, and also "243" 1938
Berlin-Lubecker- S/237 1938, and also "237" 1938
BSW- BSW 1938

1939:
Mauser, Obendorf- "42" 1939
J. P. Sauer- "147" 1939 and also no date or code!
ERMA- "27" 1939
Mauser, Borsigwalde- "243" 1939
Berlin-Lubecker- "237" 1939
BSW- BSW 1939, and also combined with Gustloffwerke for "337" 1939
Steyr- Daimler, Steyr- "660" 1939

1940:
Mauser, Obendorf- "42" 1940
J. P. Sauer- "147" 1940
ERMA- "27" 1940, and also "ax" 1940
Mauser, Borsigwalde- "243" 1940
Berlin-Lubecker- "237" 1940, and also "duv" 40 date.
Gustloffwerke- "337" 1940 Steyr- "660" 1940, and also "bnz" 40 date.

1941:
Mauser, Obendorf- "byf" 41.
J. P. Sauer- "ce" 41
ERMA- "ax" 41
Mauser, Borsigwalde- "ar" 41
Berlin-Lubecker- "duv" 41
Gustloffwerke- "bcd" 41
Steyr- "bnz" 41

1942:
Mauser, Obendorf- "byf" 42
J.P. Sauer- "ce" 42
Mauser, Borsigwalde- "ar" 42
Berlin-Lubecker- "duv" 42
Gustloffwerke- "bcd" 42
Steyr- "bnz" 42
Waffen Werke Brunn, Bystrica- "dou" 42

1943:
Mauser, Obendorf- "byf" 43
J. P. Sauer- "ce" 43
Mauser, Borsigwalde- "ar" 43
Gustloffwerke- "bcd" 43
Steyr- "bnz" 43
Waffen Werke Brunn, Bystrica- "dou" 43
Waffen Werke Brunn, Brunn- "dot" 43

1944:
Mauser, Obendorf- "byf" 44
J. P. Sauer- "ce" 44
Mauser, Borsigwalde- "ar" 44
Gustloffwerke- "bcd" 4
Steyr- "bnz" 44 or "bnz" 4 *
Waffen Werke, Brunn, Bystrica- "dou" 44 *
Waffen Werke, Brunn, Brunn- "dot" 1944 *

1945:
Mauser, Obendorf- "byf" 45 * /**
Mauser, Obendorf- "svw" 45 */ **
Mauser, Obendorf- "svw" MB **
Gustloffwerke- "bcd" 45 * Steyr- "bnz" 45 *
Waffen Werke Brunn, Bystrica- "dou" 45 *
Waffen Werke Brunn, Brunn- "swp" 45 *
*- Later (higher) serial numbers were issued as Kriegsmodells.
**- Kriegsmodells had rough unfinished stocks and no butt plate. Some years may have dual maker codes and/or dual dates marked on receiver.

I got the above information from the "nazarian" website or whatever. Google it and you should find it. Just make sure you don't end up at Stormfront. :p

I own a 1943 "DOU" code. It is a semi-kriegsmodell with no bayonet lug. It has a terrific bore and last week at the chabot get together with a few calguns.net members (including the soup nazi) I was hitting the black from 100 yards with no problem. I fired 10 rounds for accuracy (surplus romanian 8mm) and most of it grouped around 1.5 MOA between the 9 and 10 ring. Whatever you do, get one with a bore that has NO pitts. Do not pay more than $350 for one that was captured by the Russians. There will be an X marked somewhere on the receiver to show this. Try to get one that has the nazi proof marks (waffenamts) not pinged out. Almost all of RC 98ks will have electropenciling on them.

Pictures:

IMG_0110.jpg

IMG_0278.jpg

IMG_0285.jpg

IMG_0282.jpg

I have since taken the scope off. The grouping I was talking about above was with open sights. I need to get a dial caliper to get the mount on just right or else the thing will come loose (it is a no drill/no tap job) which it has on multiple occassions.

IMG_0278.jpg

Upvote 0
Damn, Venkman, that's what I'm talkin' about(ctrl+P FTW!)! Thanks a million!

Gonzo, that's exactly what I was looking for. Pretty much the only mags I could find online were either genuine Walthers, which were a tad on the pricy side, and Mec-gars. I had heard that Mec makes a good product, and actually makes mags for some of the bigger manufacturers, but I was somewhat just checking to see what you guys' knowledge of them was. And I know what you mean about American aftermarket mags. My Beretta 92 came with one mag, a Jamline(LOL). The Beretta was my first gun, and just about the first thing I did when I got it was go onto gunbroker, buy some pre-ban Beretta mags(this was about six months before the ban ended). The Jamline, though it didn't jam on me, was a POS. The body and all of the parts were made from this really cheesy feeling plastic, and the follower would jam up while you were loading the magazine. You could solve that by manually sticking your thumb into a cut in the side of the mag body and disengaging the follower with your nail, but it wasn't worth it. As soon as the Beretta mags came in the mail, the Jamline went into the garbage.

Upvote 0
Damn, Venkman, that's what I'm talkin' about(ctrl+P FTW!)! Thanks a million!

Gonzo, that's exactly what I was looking for. Pretty much the only mags I could find online were either genuine Walthers, which were a tad on the pricy side, and Mec-gars. I had heard that Mec makes a good product, and actually makes mags for some of the bigger manufacturers, but I was somewhat just checking to see what you guys' knowledge of them was. And I know what you mean about American aftermarket mags. My Beretta 92 came with one mag, a Jamline(LOL). The Beretta was my first gun, and just about the first thing I did when I got it was go onto gunbroker, buy some pre-ban Beretta mags(this was about six months before the ban ended). The Jamline, though it didn't jam on me, was a POS. The body and all of the parts were made from this really cheesy feeling plastic, and the follower would jam up while you were loading the magazine. You could solve that by manually sticking your thumb into a cut in the side of the mag body and disengaging the follower with your nail, but it wasn't worth it. As soon as the Beretta mags came in the mail, the Jamline went into the garbage.

I made a mistake it seems. The bad mags are not marked "American" but rather "USA Mags". The USA ones are junk I have been told. I have one of their Hi-Power mags and it is uterly worthless.

Upvote 0
I saw a 48 on the collar of the receiver and not the usual waffen stamp, I didnt see a 43 but I could be wrong. The tabs holding the well in the stock do not look like german manufacture either. Not sure what you mean by the sight pops up through the furniture. I have a K98(41 hunk of junk but still shoots) and a 48 and where the sight and grip meet they are almost identical. Dont forget too there are 47's and even Hungary produced mausers during the war too.

Upvote 0
also another identifying feature is the last band holding the barrel around the stock. It does not have two indentations. Just a minor thing and many mausers have had parts interchanged, re-arsenaled, etc... to where they are hardly original or matching. Also alot of mausers even if they are coded from the war years do not have the original barrel till 2005 (law expired) importing them with the barrel was illegal (same goes for all those yugo mausers as well).

Upvote 0
What do I mean about the Yugo wood?

The K98's upper handguard stops at the rear sight. On a Yugo (and the Turks, too, IIRC), the upper handguard goes to the rear sight, then behind it. There's wood between the rear sight and the reciever stamps. It covers the barrel right up to the reciever.

Compare the wood on the picture here:

http://www.surplusrifle.com/yugom48/index.asp

To the K98 wood here:

http://www.surplusrifle.com/mauser98k/index.asp

M48 = wood between the reciever and rear sight. K98 = bare metal between reciever and rear sight.

Your Yugo might be in a K98 stock?

I just looked, the Turk Mausers have the wood behind the rear sight, too... and the Swede, and the Argentine, and the Civil Guard... Hmm.

ETA: apologies on the hijack, Gunfan!!

And how'd you make out at the gunshow, anyway? WE NEED PICTURES!!!!! :D

Upvote 0
I saw a 48 on the collar of the receiver and not the usual waffen stamp, I didnt see a 43 but I could be wrong. The tabs holding the well in the stock do not look like german manufacture either. Not sure what you mean by the sight pops up through the furniture. I have a K98(41 hunk of junk but still shoots) and a 48 and where the sight and grip meet they are almost identical. Dont forget too there are 47's and even Hungary produced mausers during the war too.

As somebody has already posted: M48s are post war. M48=1948, three years after the war in other words.

Why are you looking for German markings on a post war Yugoslavian made Mauser? There won't be any.

Upvote 0
Yes that is understood that a 48 is exactly that, post war designation. Just a question on the picture with stamp of 48 but like I said maybe it is 43 and I dont see a weapon (waffen) stamp in the usual place. Every one knows a 48 or 47 is post war yugo.

The receiver is stamped '43 DOU with a waffenamt on the top of it.

The stock matches the bolt, the bolt which has waffenamts on it.

It is NOT a yugo. But it IS a semi kriegsmodell.

Upvote 0
That is clearly a Russian capture '43 DOU 98k.

Here is my M48 for comparison.
M48b.jpg

Notice my rifle's bolt is in the white. While the RC's is blued. Also my rifle is stamped matching, while the RC's are EP matching.

Man that is one nice M48.

Nice thing about the M48s are that most are in unissued form and are prestine. They are worth five times what they were selling for because they are basically like new. Too bad they are harder to find and pricier these days.

Upvote 0