• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Am I really the only one who hates tanks?

trillex

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Tanks are cool, mean murdering machines of fear but I for some reason just do not like the tanks in Red Orchestra. It's not the tanks themselves, but the tank maps. The tanks look absolutely amazing in RO as well as the shooting effects and the sound effects around in. Basically, the only thing that is negative about the tanks in my opinion is the fact that their sound effects are just too low. The sneaking tank, as it has been called.

But I just really really really hate tank maps. Maybe it is because I absolutely **** at using tanks or that I get bashed constantly if I try to learn - but I generally feel that the only reason that tanks are in this game, is to apply to the MSU. And I still feel that way, after the game became standalone. It is really frustrating, since it is very hard to find a server that only runs infantry only servers or just Combined Arms maps. Most of the popular servers only run freaking tank maps and it bugs me. Of course, it is very good for Tripwire, that they've created tanks people love using and playing with, but I just feel like I'm all alone in feeling that this game is all about infantry based invasions, especially with the popularity of tank maps. Actually, the only map I actually like with tanks in them, is the attack on the Reichstag (I really hate that I can never remember map names) and that is because there is plenty of infantry action and the tank is only there to provide cover.

Are tanks really the future of this game, since we've mostly seen tank updates - or will infantry be getting some loving and caring strokes at the developers' desks? Am I really alone in feeling that infantry is the back bone of this game?

Ack, I hate all those 24/7 tank maps servers.

Rant is over. :)

Tank noise is an interesting one. I drove a Centurian ARV a few times on exercises with the army and it was as close to a "stealth tank" as you could get. It could do a neutral turn at just over tickover and was incredibly quiet. No mean feat when you consider its weight and the 27 litre petrol engine that drove it. Diesel engines tend to be a bit harder to silence and 2 stroke diesels are incredibly noisy. I do think though that anyone who drove a tank would be surprised at how little noise they make, certainly a lot of noise is made by tracks, fan drives and such. I know that people who have not actually heard one seem to think that a tank sounds like some deep bass booming behemoth. It doesn't. Noise from a modern tank is felt more than heard. Cent was the nearest tank to tanks of that vintage I drove, though I also drove several T55's and was amazed at how quiet they were.
Tank map design is something that is frankly beyond me and as such I wouldn't comment on it. As an aside I did once fire up the SDK with the intention of having a go at a map, but it just made my head hurt. After that I decided that if anyone went to all the time and trouble to make a map I'd try it and give them polite feedback on it (something that a few people still need to learn). Tank maps will always be dificult because in order to make them big enough to allow correct formations and manoevering other smaller callsigns and dismounts will be somewhat lost. Modern tank warfare would include a platoon of infantry attached to a squadron of tanks to clear out a position or a troop of tanks attached to an infantry company in order to provide fire support. When you consider the ranges these combats would take place at you can see the problem keeping everyone (or indeed ANYONE) happy.
I think that the comments about updates concentrating on tanks is while correct a bit misleading. They are trying to tweak items that need it while still working within the parameters enforced by the engine they're using. I know there are aspects of the infantry game that need sorting but listening to the anguished cries of the very vociferous tankies meant that 'their bit' got tweaked earlier LOL

As a final final note, I know that NOB (croatian lads great guys) and FjG (funny german falling from the sky fellows) run mainly infantry based maps and both those clans are great to play.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I see tanks in RO as a "mod" ... for many FPS games you have DM, TDM, CTF, etc... we have infantry, combined and tank maps... what is the problem?? If you like clearly only infantry so play infantry only maps. There are many players who love tanks and also many think that tanks in RO are the best tank simulation today (are they right?)... I personly like tanks about half as infantry but I cannot say that I do not like them, I think they are just fine. IMO no need to hate them... Tanks in RO are OK!

Upvote 0
RO's infantry combat makes the tanks look a bit pathetic. If TWI brought the tanks to the same level of detail and polish of the infantry then i would have no problem. But atm the tanks have to many bugs/anamolies to make them a serious part of the game for me

Exactly. It feels more like a mini-game than a part of a serious game. Like having random fun maps, like the aim maps in CS. It's a very little part of the game.

"Tanks in RO are OK!" I know they are okay. They have actually been implanted very well with a huge attention on detail. But it's one of those things that I hate, that I hate.

Upvote 0
The biggest unrealistic thing I hate about tanks is the ability to magically exit within a milisecond. It really frustrates when you take the time to stalk one, have it dead to rights (either anti tank soldier, or another tank) just to have the kill snatched away from you by this feature. Hopefully its on the list to fix, as there is so much more fine work that was put into tanks to make them realistic.

Upvote 0
I'm an infantry guy so i have no feeling for tanks what so ever.
The only thing i think about when i see an enemy tank is 'stop hiding from my bayonet coward!' :p
stabbing the exhaust of the tank isnt all that satisfying :rolleyes:

I personally only play infantry maps, and as soon as a tank map comes up in the server list i leave the server and go find another.
First of all because i dont like tanks, second i **** at the tanks in RO, and thirdly you get bashed to much by other players for ****ing at tanks in RO...
'omg you are the worst driver ever' 'omg you are the baddest shot ever' etc etc, a lot of tank players feel they can be all elitist or something.
While on infantry maps, i run circles around them, so to speak ;)

Upvote 0
Some tanks might be more silent then others when moving, but a firing tank is one of the loudest noises ive ever heard.. even 500-600 meters away the faint hearted would panic from the sheer BOOM of a tank firing. (Although I dunno about WWII tanks im speaking of today).
Oh and my friend, you are not alone.. I really hate tank maps as well.

Upvote 0
i like tanks but hate the way they are used and the bugs with them. Combined arms maps with only one tank a side are nice but... they always have too many ways to take out the tanks. So the tanks arnt as fearsome as they should be. And a tank getting stuck on every little hill and bump is just absurd. When a real tank can plow through buildings and knock over trees climb up a 3 foot step run over pretty much anything they come across.. and in the game they get stuck on a shrub or a small wooden fence or a rail road tie something needs to be done.

Tanks are good in concept but need alot of work. But i do think there should be less tank maps and more combined arms maps. A tank map with one or two tanks on each side and all the objectives have to be taken by infantry but the infantry are almost totaly helpless against the tanks would be fun.

Upvote 0
i like tanks but hate the way they are used and the bugs with them. Combined arms maps with only one tank a side are nice but... they always have too many ways to take out the tanks. So the tanks arnt as fearsome as they should be. And a tank getting stuck on every little hill and bump is just absurd. When a real tank can plow through buildings and knock over trees climb up a 3 foot step run over pretty much anything they come across.. and in the game they get stuck on a shrub or a small wooden fence or a rail road tie something needs to be done.

Tanks are good in concept but need alot of work. But i do think there should be less tank maps and more combined arms maps. A tank map with one or two tanks on each side and all the objectives have to be taken by infantry but the infantry are almost totaly helpless against the tanks would be fun.

you very well listed the pain of tanks in RO... but I still insist that it is fun to play tanks :p (sometimes)

Upvote 0
Yeah orel is good but unfinished and needs alot of polishing up and maybe some balancing. the 88vs76 is pretty well balanced But the rivers need more then one solid crossing point so artiliery isnt abused. just bombing the bridges over and over. That and the first spawns could be moved up a bit closer to the first objectives. not much but some would help. Or just add in diffrent spawn points based on what objectives are held instead of just the two diffrent ones. It also needs more tanks on each side. More of the crappy tanks that is. Few more kv1s and panzer 3s or 4s no more t34s or tigers or anything.

But tanks really need to be fixed so they can drive over a curb without getting stuck. I know destroyable stuff isnt going to happen Maybe smalltrees that you can run over and just drive through. and being able to climb over the 2-3 foot tall stone fences and stuff like that. With that annoying little problem fixed tank maps would be alot more fun and realistic.

Oh yeah changing the loadouts of the anti tank soldiers would help alot too. They shouldnt be getting 3 panzerfausts. Thats just not realistic. Give them one and add more anti tank infantry to maps. That way they need to make that one shot count. and make the ammo reload spots have alot longer of a timer to refill. and get rid of the stockpiles of panzerfausts on the maps. Then give the russians the semi auto anti tank rifle and fix its penitration values so its not a portable cannon. It should be used to disable tanks not totaly blow them up. Satchels shouldnt be blowing up tanks. They should at best knock a track off.

Upvote 0
Tank noise is an interesting one. I drove a Centurian ARV a few times on exercises with the army and it was as close to a "stealth tank" as you could get.

Not really fair to compare an ARV based on a post war western tank to say.. a T34. The T34 was infamous for being very loud. You have to remember that they didn't use rubber in the tracks on the T34, making the tracks very loud. And I doubt the engine was designed with volume in mind either.

Upvote 0
I think it's in the maps. Orel is a good map......well actually, it isn't. Crewmen are given sachel charges so there's no real point in taking out tanks. But my point is that tanks can be fun. Especially if it's with early war tanks and none of that IS2 bull**** you get.

Dont dis my IS2 :cool:

Tanks are fun, sure they need work, lots of it maybe, but they're fun all the same

Upvote 0
Not really fair to compare an ARV based on a post war western tank to say.. a T34. The T34 was infamous for being very loud. You have to remember that they didn't use rubber in the tracks on the T34, making the tracks very loud. And I doubt the engine was designed with volume in mind either.
Centurian arv based on Centurian gun tank. Gun tank entered service too late for WW2 but not by much so very much a product of that era. Transmission also similar. Your point about tracks though is well made, not only did the ARV have 'hush puppies' as we called them, Russian kit used a track designwhich almost seemed to amplify noise LOL. Then again I did mention that a lot of noise was made by tracks.
T55 again used similar engineering and engine wise wasn't that loud. The track though with its rudimentary pin retention mechanism was very loud.
Gun noise though as was mentioned earlier has to be heard to be beleived but they couldn't touch a modern tank firing fin (APFSDS), the noise from THAT is sooo loud it just takes your breath away

Upvote 0