• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

MP40 And Prone Position

I am both an active airsofter and an active reenactor (WW1, WW2 and Romanian War of Independence) and I used the Mp40 in the field in a number of occasions (unfortunately only the airsoft variety since only sqad leaders in the Romanaian army were issued with MP-s) and I can tell you that it's definitely not impossible to fire the MP40 while prone.

For the airsoft replica, the best way to fire it is to let the gun rest on it's magazine (be very careful with that since you could bend it) and have the butt pass just above your right shoulder. This way you are not able to aim down the sights, but you don't need to, as long as you fire short bursts and watch where the rounds hit.
If you really want to keep it shouldered, that is possible too. Grab the upper part of the magazine with your left hand , put your left elbow down and keep your forearm pointing in front at an angle of about 45 degrees so that the lower part of the mag doesn't touch the ground. The odd part is that in order to fire horizontally you have to keep your right elbow in the air, and that makes the position especially tiring when holdinig it for extended periods. But then again, when you are being shot at, being confortable is the least of your worries.

Indeed, although a lever action rifle can be fired from a prone position (we use M1879 Martini-Henri rifles for our reenactments) it is nigh impossible to releoad. First you have to lean down on the left side of the body so that you can operate the lever and at the same time be able to extract a fresh cartrige from the ammo pouch on your belly, then open the chamber with your right hand, all while keeping your left forearm vertical underneath the barrel... It's inconfortable, time consuming, very high profile (your head is a good half meter above the ground) and when you open the chamber you get hit by the hot expended brass. Definitely "don't try this at home" stuff.

Upvote 0
I dunno, it seems doable to me.

prone1cj5.jpg

prone2cs4.jpg

It was actually pretty comfortable holding it in that position. Moreso with the stock extended, but not uncontrollable with it folded. Granted, if I were getting shot at, I wouldn't be too thrilled about the amount of my head that was exposed, but there are few such concerns when playing Kitchen Commando. :)

I intend to fire it from the prone position tomorrow at the range and will give a full range report.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0