• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What car do you drive?

'97 Civic 1.6LS petrol

Edit - No big panic, stupid engine has flooded...damn cars with there automatic choke...
If it is flooded and has an auto-choke, depress the accelerator fully, hold it down, turn the starter. This is usually the default method of operating the choke on an auto-choke vehicle... bwahg :confused: does that make sense? :eek:

My Landcruiser choke is not currently hooked up so I have to do it from under the hood. Starts first crank... every time. :cool::eek:

Upvote 0
1993 Honda Accord 2.2L 5 Speed
Bought it for $2000 last October from a lady. She took very good care of it. Has about 137k miles, runs great.

honda_accord.JPG

Doesn't like quite as nice now as I hit a shopping cart with it going about 25. Hood is slightly dented.

Upvote 0
*your civc shouldn't have a choke. No FI car does...

No choke on a 97 Civic, unless they put something WAAAAAAY wierd in the Euro versions. Last carbureted car I know of was in 93, and IIRC was a Hyundai or some other uber-cheap econo car.

Just the same, wide-open throttle does clear-flood mode now. It cuts the injectors when the key is in the start position.

One thing to be aware of: Civics in that time frame are known for bad ignitors and ignition coils. They can be destroyed if you don't use an OE cap and rotor. We only install caps and rotors from the dealership on Hondas. Sometimes, but a bit more rarely, it's the bushing in the distributor.

Try the throttle-down trick again, don't crank the engine longer than about 15 seconds, then wait about 30, or you'll destroy the starter, if it tries to start and dies, wait a few seconds and try the same thing again. If it does start, it probably won't want to run, if it's flooded (which takes some doing on EFI cars), you'll need to go wide-open throttle to about 3000 RPM, then take your foot completely off the pedal till the needle gets back to about 1000, then repeat about 3 or 4 times. It'll clear out any excess fuel (closed-throttle decel also causes the injectors to shut off). Once it's running smooth, get it warmed up and see how it runs.

How many miles are on that again?

ETA: Just tow it over to my place. I can get it running. :p

Upvote 0
You'll all be pleased to know that it is in fact...not...flooded.

Mechanic doesn't know what's wrong, fuel pump is fine, sparks are fine, distributor is fine, battery is fine, everything is fine...
He either thinks there is something wrong with my distributor coil, or a timing belt having slipped some teeth. Which afaik is pretty rare without having damaged something else...

Waaaaaa :(

Upvote 0
Fuel is going into the engine.
Air is going in the engine.
All 4 spark plugs are firing in sequence and with ample spark.
Distributor is acting normally.
Battery has ample power.
Belts are all still attached.

Turn ignition, 1st stage, everything as normal, go to start the car and it just WON'T START. It turns over ok when you try to start it fires ok, but its just not catching.

Upvote 0
Sounds like it jumped time to me. Don't worry. Honda is good to you, their motors won't be damaged if a timing belt slips or breaks.

Or is it just not wanting to idle when you get it to fire? It fires ok, but won't catch? Like it fires up and dies immediately? Could be an ignition switch, I suppose... Bad contact in the run position... The spark plugs aren't worn out, are they? Also, check fuses. You think it's stupid, till you spend a bunch of time going "WTF WTF WTF!?" and find a $.10 fuse is blown...

If your mechanic can't figure it out... umm... It's a Honda. They're extremely easy to keep going. I've never worked on a Honda problem that couldn't be figured out within a couple hours.

Upvote 0
I like it when stuff goes wrong, I get to learn :cool:

I personally think the belt has slipped some teeth, if I listen to it starting
1 2 3 4 - going through the sparks, when 3 fires it seems to be a slightly longer action than the others. So maybe it's that.

Calling the AA out today to see if they can diagnose fo' shizzle.

EDIT - Well, apparently my timing is a little off, but the reason it wasn't starting was in fact because it was flooded. Was tow started and had to spend the next 10 mins at high revs to clean out all the petrol.

Last edited:
Upvote 0