• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Do I need Steam?

I run ZoneAlarm. That's it. Maybe AIM.

Turn off unnecessary stuff.

Kind of a conflict in terms here eh? Since ZA is about useless...especially when it doesnt even come close to comparing to the security of a Router with a firewall.

But back on topic...

No problems here at all with steam. I have a measly 1 gig of RAM, and dont miss the 13MB's it uses. The updates are seamless and painless, and I know everyone who is playing is on the same page as me. ;)

Dont fret it much.

Upvote 0
Steam is fine n' dandy! Because RO simply wouldn't exist as we know it without it. Period! :)

Is steam perfect? Not at all. It's getting better every update though (usually, even now and then there is an 'uh-oh' patch ;)). I've discovered a few games I wouldn't have otherwise because of it, and i'd sure as hell rather use up a few extra megs of memory that chances are the game isn't going to actually use anyway than have to hunt for a CD and go through the whole 'is it going to work!' dance with older games. And, not to mention, I finally found a copy of Jagged Alliance thanks to Steam, after spending forever and a day trying to find it in the stores and having no luck! :)

Steam isn't some evil beast. It's not runnin in teh bakgrondz, stealin ur filez. If you turn it off, it's off. it doesn't leach a ton of resources, it doesn't 'spam' you with adverts other than the a weekly (or so) on-launch display of some random game available on Steam.

Now, if they try to start feeding adds for coca-cola or axe or the likes, or start to request more information that what is necessary to verify a credit-card order, THEN by all means start *****ing. Loudly, too. Hell I'm sure several other steam users will join you. Until that day though, it ain't so bad :)

Upvote 0
Usually I use steam with no problem, but a couple of days ago i had taken my laptop to my parents house where they have no internet connection.

I opened steam in offline mode but for some reason it crashed and wouldnt open again without having a net connection, so I hunted about in the steam folders found RO's exe, tried to run it but it said it couldnt find steam.dll. Then all i did was go up a couple of folders and found the dll and copied it into the same folder as RO's exe and to my suprise it open and ran RO without steam running.

Though im yet to try it with a net connection, im pretty sure you wouldnt be able to connect to the master server and play multiplayer without running steam, but if all your wanting to do is run practice it worked fine for me although you would still have to install it through steam in the first place.

Upvote 0
Only thing that pisses me off about Steam is there no Linux Native client. would make my life a hell of a lot nicer.

Oh well, back to dreaming. Oh, and being killed in RO under Windows.

* games-server/halflife-steam
Available versions: *2.0
Homepage: http://www.steampowered.com/
Description: client for Valve Software's Steam content delivery program

spitfire@SpiTech1 ~ $

there is a steam for linux although its just for servers , im sure it wouldnt be too hard to port RO to linux and make it available with this

DEV!!.........please?

Upvote 0
Some people just need to find something to complain about no matter what the subject is.

I have 1gb of ram and I have no problems whatsoever, I load faster than 98% of other players and mind you, my computer is 3 - 4 yrs old. I have 6 - 10 programs running in addition to RO; MSN, Outlook, Firefox, Ventrilo, Steam, Razer Control Centre, Norton Anti-virus ++

So I really don't understand why some people are annoyed about programs using *gasp* memory! As long as you get rid of spyware and **** like that it's not a problem.

It isn't nice when I have to log in to a program that spams ads, crashes frequently, uses memory, and often autoupdates other games while I am playing RO.
Erm, Steam spamming you with ads? Are you serious? Really? I rarely get them and if I do, I only see them when I quit RO/CS/HL2/whatever. And then it's one little window with a steam advert. Wow. Big deal. It takes so much effort moving the mouse and clicking it away.
Crashes? Been using Steam since they released it, never had a crash. Ever. As for the autoupdates, pause them. Turn them off if you must, not that it hogs much of the connection anyway. I have 2mb adsl and I don't notice it when it updates CS/HL2 in the background! My ping stays the same.

The only thing I find annoying is when I exit RO and Steam doesn't find any games installed. The fix is simple though and I haven't really experienced it the last few months so I couldn't care less really.

There are so many other things in life that are more important than Steam hogging 13 mb of memory :p

Like, when is the next update?! And what will my fiance make me for dinner <3

Upvote 0
well i am sorry if i sound dumb, but cd's as an extra? if i had known beforehand you needed to use steam i would have bought it earlier as use hl2, css and dod.

there are several games u cant buy in shops so why do it to this one, how many dont have a credit card or able to use 1? not many.

my argument is why seel the game in shops with cd's which tells you to install when in fact it pointless installing it as you need to dl it from steam anyway.

sell it with better manual and a dvd bonus disc and key

Upvote 0
well i am sorry if i sound dumb, but cd's as an extra? if i had known beforehand you needed to use steam i would have bought it earlier as use hl2, css and dod.

there are several games u cant buy in shops so why do it to this one, how many dont have a credit card or able to use 1? not many.

my argument is why seel the game in shops with cd's which tells you to install when in fact it pointless installing it as you need to dl it from steam anyway.

sell it with better manual and a dvd bonus disc and key

Because some people want the dvd/cd case on their table, shelf, you name it.

What you all are missing is that it is using memory. Period.

I have 1.5 gigs of RAM, I'm not worried that much. I'm just mad on principle, that's all.

And yes, DEFCON had it right. Auto-updates are nice, as is recovering games. It isn't nice when I have to log in to a program that spams ads, crashes frequently, uses memory, and often autoupdates other games while I am playing RO.

Just so that you know, steam doesn't update games while playing a game. Get your facts right before flaming that awesome piece of software.

Upvote 0