• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Sudden Decrease in FPS

-193-Nikolai

Mar 24, 2007
I recently upgrade my computer and having succes with my upgrade, RO started to act up. At first i could play the game at a comfortable 30fps, but after about 20 mins of game play it jumps down to a frustrating fps between 5 and 10. At first this could be solved by a restart of the system. Then after time the restart didnt work, it always stayed at the 10fps. And the only way i have discovered to get it back to normal framerates is to reinstall the game, reinstall directx and reinstall my graphics drivers. But this joy only lasts about 20mins before it goes back to the frustration i am having. So does anybody have a answer to this problem.

P.S- i have ran a memtester and my RAM is good.

Latest drivers..

Performance & Quality Parameters (settings).

4th line down = Vertical Synchronization = application controlled.

If its set to on, it may / will lower your fps.

Some, set it to "disabled", as it is rarely used or needed.

In RO you have to set the AA filters to make them work, 2x/4x or whatever, the same goes for Vsync.

Make sure that Vsync is not ticked, in the in-game settings !

Thats probably not the solution to your problem, but just in case, its worth checking...

If that does not solve the problem, I would consider deleting your current drivers and trying a fresh install.

The latest drivers do not always work well with previous generation graphic cards.
A good solid driver that works with almost all Nvidia cards is the 84.21.

Hope that helps...

Upvote 0
Jeez, this is a hard one !

Get yourself a new RO system file and leave every thing as it is, just set up your controls as you like.

What do you have running in the background ?

I once had a desktop toys thing installed, slowly but surely it was eating my fps.

Bad cookies, virus !

Off- line & on-line ?

What exactly was the upgrade ?

Upvote 0
I totally reinstalled the game and havent changed anything. I have nothing running in the background, also i have done full spyware and virus tests. The upgrade was a full upgrade besides the graphics card. It was workign for like 2-4 weeks then it starts acting up. I dont understand it, could it be my os which is Windows 2k? I have seriously have tried everything.

Upvote 0
Get hold of a cable splitter, 1 male connector, 2 female connectors.
You should have at least two power lines.

On one line, with the splitter connect HD & DVD, on the other connect the graphics card.

No guarantee that it will solve the problem but your PC will be better for it !

I will ask again,

Do you have any other games installed that are having the same trouble ?

Upvote 0