• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

A terrifying thought

Entirely different game would kill the community totally. This is a rather small communtiy, and there is a reason for that. Most of us are here for the passion we have for WW2, and our search for realistic fighting simulation in it. I think TW did a great job with Ostfront, because it was an all round improvement that everyone wanted. I'm sure UE3 will be the same, there will be no splitting at all, if they use the same formula again with greater changes.

Upvote 0
oh yes the place is crawling of people going " making a new RO with the new engine is the last thing we want" :rolleyes:

making another different game will split the community defenately! i would then stick to RO ost...

to keep the community together they need to make a better version of RO, otherwise you will get the same situation as in call of duty. where when COD2 came out, it wasnt better than COD1+UO. so some went with cod2 some stayed at 1, and finally many just abandoned the game (me)

Upvote 0
But RO is not those ****ty cod games... RO is unique!

RO2 would be even better if it moved to a newer engine... Either way the gamers would still split.. maybe some people wouldnt be able to run RO2 on their PCs and would just stick to RO.... Either way.. a sequal on a newer engine will surpass this one, and even though I would buy RO2, I would still play RO

Upvote 0
when they introduced the retail RO, basically the entire mod community moved to it

if they introduce an "RO2" of some kind, I figure the community will do it again
I agree with this....to a point. All the nice looking mods being developed may slow the move to "RO2". Depending on the release dates people may be too busy having fun with the mods to make an early switch. Other than that, yeah, I think we'll all switch without much delay, just like we did from the mod.

Upvote 0
What I think is more RO "community glue" besides WW2 realism: the German-Russian war theme.

This draws players from countries who may not otherwise play. For example, I suspect players who understand the German and Russian voice warnings, commands and insults perfectly, enjoy the game even more than those who do not. RO has imo a very "European" flavour because of it.

If the UE3 game has a theme focused on other countries, that portion of the RO community will not necessarily move too.

Upvote 0
if RO2 is better then RO ost, then i dont see why anyone would stick to ro ost ( except out of nostalgia) and remember this aint for next week, nor next year...

But RO is not those ****ty cod games... RO is unique!

long long time ago call of duty was the best ww2 pfs game ever! look where it is now.

when you make a sequal to a extremely good game, it has to be even better then the game before.
the same goes for cars, movies, songs ( just look at basic instinct 2, star wars 1...)

Upvote 0
RO is indeed a unique FPS as it integrated a degree of realism into a FPS unheard of before (AFAIK).

I've known mods that are more realistic than RO, so it's hardly unique in that respect. I think what makes it stand out is how it has a highly realistic stance without losing the fun. Some of the mods I've played have taken realism so seriously all the fun starts to get ****ed out of the game. Sometimes an idea may be realistic but detracts greatly from the game. And it's RO avoiding these ideas that makes it what it is.

[edit] wtf? they censor THAT word? Good luck explaining what a vacuum cleaner does here.

Upvote 0
Perhaps the CS and CS:S communities split up because the sequel didn't introduce "new" features. I mean the Source games (Day Of Defeat and that Counter Strike you might have heard of) don't have new maps and weapons(not to many). They have this new engine and the gameplay is different (worse?). But in some way they are "just" remakes.

These games are in my opinion intented to built a new community and catch new players.

I am a bit bit sick of the WWII setting and I do not want a remake of RO in the UE3 (Playing the same maps for the rest of my life?). I demand a sequel of RO diffrent but following the same ideas of realism and historical accuracy.

I think the two games should have the same community (stay united guys) each game would give you a different experience.

And good old RO would get retired with pride ... when everybody is sick of the same old maps and the mods which will hopefully overplayed soon ... and no new content is released

Upvote 0
There isn't going to be any split in this community, RO will be 3+ years old by the time the UE3 game TW is making now comes out. The reason for the splits in CS and DoD communities were caused by Valve's misleading use of the word "port". Most thought CS:S and DOD:S would be 99% the same as 1.6 and 1.3 respectively. CS:S changed too much and DOD:S took away too much, so either people switched and still played both, only played the HL1 versions, or just moved on to a new game.

Also, I'm sure people want features in RO2/whatever that simply won't be possible on UE 2.5 (even if possible it will be massive performance hit). People will switch for that, I know I want fully functional infantry weapon penetration more than anything else in RO right now.

Upvote 0