• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

If the option was there

If the option was there

• Yes I would

Votes: 160 46.2%
  • No I wouldnt!!!1

Votes: 186 53.8%

• Total voters
Having fired weapons using tracer rounds I will say this. They are bright and very useful to the gunner and are still being used by the present day military. I was taught to use the sights to line up the shot and adjust by using the tracers. Granted this was on a vehicle mounted 50cal. I have even fired a M40 106mm Recoilless Rifle and it fires a 50cal tracer round to help with sighting in the optics. The tracers served a purpose in WWII as well as now. Looks to me like the split here is about even on who likes or dislikes the tracers, what that tells me is they are just about right. I think we all can at least admit that they were used in WWII so if we were to take them out completely that probably wouldn

Upvote 0
Jager, in my opinion the best MGer I've had the pleasure (and pain) of playing with, has mastered the one shot-no tracer-MG snipe, and when he is doing that it is really hard to find where he is at... he can shut down the battlefield until he is spotted.. so even though I've said I love the tracers (because I'm a rifleman and they make it oh so easy to find and kill the MGer) - I think the MG role would be 10 times as deadly if you couldnt see where he was shooting from. Maybe it could be made an option? I dont know how realistic that would be, but in thier absence the MG would truly gain the 'area denial' ability.

Upvote 0
Jager, in my opinion the best MGer I've had the pleasure (and pain) of playing with, has mastered the one shot-no tracer-MG snipe, and when he is doing that it is really hard to find where he is at... he can shut down the battlefield until he is spotted.. so even though I've said I love the tracers (because I'm a rifleman and they make it oh so easy to find and kill the MGer) - I think the MG role would be 10 times as deadly if you couldnt see where he was shooting from. Maybe it could be made an option? I dont know how realistic that would be, but in thier absence the MG would truly gain the 'area denial' ability.

yes ... thats a main problem as mag guner ...

its like when you shoot the whole enemy team knows where you are ...

a reason i prever the MG34 over any other weapon ... you cant beat its single fire option!

Upvote 0
Err you can physically replace them?

Also the mg34 single fire no tracer thing is a bug! A BUG!!

EDIT

I think the underlying problem with the tracer issue, is the look! They are too big, long and the ricochet effect is just wrong!
I come from DoD and Ive never seen a single thread complaining about the tracer contributing toward a gunners weakness! Its always been about accuracy and recoil when undeployed!!

I think the main reason for this, is because there is no IS in DoD and the gunners FOV was not obscured by the gun model. Thus making tracer fire extremely useful to him!

The ability to roll mouse up and look above the weapon should solve this issue within RO. I beleive Mare Nostrum will have this feature.

Why cant RO??

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Tracers or not; the gunner chooses

Tracers or not; the gunner chooses

As for MG42 in WW2. The gunners determined the use of tracers AND how many. So they would have different belts for different purposes.
Recently I dug up an 200 round ammo belt in the Ardennes (or 2 100 round belts). I noticed an exceptionally high number of tracers (nearly every 3 rounds). This was sometimes done to give the impression of more firepower than there actually was.
Another trick was to use an MG with tracers firing high so the enemy thinks they can savely pass underneath the line of fire. A second MG would cover the same zone without tracers and firing lower than the first MG.

Huib

Upvote 0
no tracers would not be a good thing, mg's would utterly destroy enemies, it would be hard to tell where the rounds were coming from

all tracers is bad too, every time an mg shoots in RO, he is screaming "HEY, HERE I AM EVERYONE!! COME FLANK ME!!!!:D "

best idea would be to have one tracer per 5 rounds, or something like that, so you can tell where the bullets are coming from, and your team can see where you are shooting, but you aren't lighting a signal flare everytime you shoot

Upvote 0
I think it should definatly be an option, like chosing the type of ammo to be fired from a tank.

Tracers are handy for really long range shots, but on some maps its darn near impossible to use an mg without being sniped after you fire of more than 5 rounds, as someone mentioned. Or maybe im just a poor machine gunner :rolleyes:

And seeing as how we are talking about machine guns here, why not also include a semi-auto firing mode for the mg34 because they were made with one.

Upvote 0