• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Community Vote Results For Favorite Custom Map Contest Entry

JAKL

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 27, 2005
The community results are in!

Overall 459 people clicked the link to view the survey, 201 completed the survey and submitted the results. The report can be viewed at:

AHGN RO Map Survey

The scoring is broken down as follows:
First place = 3 points
Second place = 2 points
Third place = 1 point

Top 7 By Total Votes
Map............................Votes
=====================
Berezina.......................235
Tractor Works...............178
Zhitomir 1941................174
Leningrad.....................149
Smolensk Stalemate.......133
Black Day July................95
Pariser Platz...................75

Votes for each place (top seven). Entries for the remaining maps gathered five votes or fewer for each place.

Map............................1st.........2nd..........3rd
==================================
Berezina......................46..........38.............21
TractorWorks...............35..........28.............23
Zhitomir1941...............30..........27.............30
Lenigrad......................26..........23.............25
Smolensk Stalemate....24..........25.............11
Black Day July..............12..........19.............21
PariserPlatz..................10..........12............21

Congatulations to the winners, and a big thank you to all entries for working to make Red Orchestra a game we can continue to enjoy for years to come.

Last edited:
More or less my top eight - and almost my top 3 except I had a different 3rd choice just to have 3 different authors.
Remarkable how different actual results were from the community vote- I thought it was in the bag for slyk or drecks.

From results thread (and limited marking explanation) I can imagine perhaps where Berezina loses marks, as it's a huge, long sometimes empty map where a good tank crew on either side can phaps influence the whole outcome a little too much.
However I still think it's a masterpiece and a long established favourite custom of myself and, evidently many others

But I just can't understand where Drecks dropped from the dev's top three - in their eyes what let it down? I think it's an unpretentious yet well presented map that's solid in all areas and I can't see why anyone wouldn't think so. Maybe more details of the marking system will reveal the reasons..

Perhaps I am biased however - I really liked Lazur and Wateverovko along with Drecks's general attitude of willing his maps to be played right. His maps can somehow pull teams together, so I can see myself wanting him to win or place highly.
I wonder would Lazur have taken the prize were it released for this comp?

Upvote 0
Well I have no affiliations and don't know anybody involved in the maps and yet as i said I'm probably biased myself.

With Zhito for example from the off I thought 'this is a drecks map - I will enjoy it. If may be tough going at first but i'll persevere because I know I'll be rewarded with a great map' (like Lazur, which took time to grow on me.)
Truth is, certain games with certain players involved can both greatly enhance or cloud you judgment of maps- and of course I'm sure the devs looked at all with an open mind and greater scutany than I have.

I will be looking to get more playtime on Smolensk and Lenigrad, both of which I liked but probably never played enough to judge fairly.

Upvote 0
Well, I don't want to knock any particular mapper as far as their placement in the contest, indeed all the winners would definately be in my top '6' picks and they should all be commended for a great job, but I too am really surprised that Zhitomer1941 didn't place. It had gameplay variety, wasnt' strictly linear as far as objectives, looked great, and I get the best frame rate average off this map than any other RO map including the stock maps.

Oh well....

Upvote 0
You have to bear in mind that people who are familiar with AHZ and, presumably, its members' maps are more likely to vote in an AHZ-organised poll.

I am not saying this in a negative way but if, for example, it is also publicised on AHZ forums, then people who visit there are far more liekly to be aware of AHZ members' maps.

While that's a possibility and we did post the thread on our forums, I can tell you after posting it we purposefully did not keep the thread alive and in fact it went inactive within a few days of us posting it. On the flipside we kept bumping the thread on the RO boards and every time we did we got a few more votes entered so take that for what it's worth. In terms of regulars at AHz we have maybe 15-20 tops that play RO on a consistent basis so even if you go with the high side of 20 that still leaves as many as 180 others that voted so I wouldn't say it's biased towards AHz.

I'll tell you how I voted. I voted for Zhitomir first, Leningrad second, TW third. I had a tough choice deciding between Zhitomir and Leningrad and for me it came down to what played the best with any number of players and Zhitomir was the best at that IMO. Leningrad is an outstanding map but you really have to be in the mindset to play it and you need a certain number of players to really get the most out of it. TW is great in its size and its ability to still play small. Berezina didn't make my top three due to the fact that in order to really get any satisfaction out of the map you need a full if not close to full server which isn't always the case.

Smolensk is a really good map and he's to be commended for winning. It was definitely in my top five but the reasons I personally didn't rate it higher is that my greatest emphasis was on replayability. A great map suprises you every time you play it because the gameplay is different from round to round. With Zhitomir there are so many different ways a round can go that I never get tired of playing it. TW is very much the same way and Leningrad too to a certain extent. All three of those maps rely heavily on teamwork and when you have two semi-organized teams, the maps really shine. With Smolensk it's the same every round and I find myself getting bored while playing the map. Maybe that makes it better for the masses but I personally like a challenge which is what drew me to RO in the first place.

But as for the community results, we did everything to try and have the majority of the votes come from the RO community so take that for what it's worth.

Upvote 0
Above is the informal vote offered to the community in the AHZ Forums, RO Forums and our forum... there may have been other areas it was offered in that I am unaware of.

Understandably... since it was an AHZ sponsored event, the active members of the AHZ forums eagerly participated. I must admit I voted too as did many of the RGN members. I did so out of curiosity to see if my choices coincided with the formal contest judge's choices.

Not surprisingly they didn't. I had chosen;
  1. Berezina
  2. Zhitomir
  3. Leningrad
I only wish there had been five winner slots. But... what do I know? All I based my choices on were the "enjoyment factors" of each map. To me.. a map "makes the grade" by the various levels of exuberance put forth by the players themselves. Not by mapper/user campaigning or any other extraneous and equally useless indirect influences put forth. In a sense, we are all winners. We now have 32 more great maps to enjoy.

RGN has four Red Orchestra Servers running. All OWNED and operated by us free of charge for all users to enjoy. Those servers and their user map vote records told us a great deal. So much so, that I again must say; "the formal outcome of the RO Map Contest is indeed fair and well done."

Upvote 0