• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Day of Defeat: Source vs Red Orchestra

A 8mm is the same as 8mm guys...it doesnt matter how many you fire off in 2 seconds, it's still has the exact same energy....:rolleyes:

You can kill someone through a wall with one round of mg42 ammo in DOD but you can't with k98....:rolleyes:

Sure....you could tear down the wall with a bunch of rounds, but each round is still going through the wall. As for "cutting down a tree" with an mg42...LMAO. Trees where you live must be like twigs.

a. You cant shoot one rounds in dod as far as I know, only bursts. I hope I dont have to explain how does that defeat your argumant.
b. [url]http://video.google.de/videoplay?docid=5972341251089396 [/url]
(watch it from the 1:50 in part 1 and listen carefully to the point they are trying to make so you wont come replying- but this is not an mg42.)

Not a sequoia but certainly not a twig. Stop being so smug Mr. knowitall.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
:rolleyes:

Yeah know, I could knock down a tree with my fist if I hit it enough over a period of time (a long period). Any realistic use of a mg would never "cut down" a tree unless it was small. I'm just a bit surprised you took the time to find a video of someone shooting down a tree...but hey.

I also believe that it is possible to tap of a round at a time in DODS, if not with the mg42, surely with the .30 cal. I'm also seriously doubting that DOD:S models multiple hits on one location to chip it away. I actually think that the garand and k98 do shoot through walls, I used to snipe a lot when I played source, and I think I remember hitting guys in houses. So really our pointless debate ist kaput.

Upvote 0
:rolleyes:

Yeah know, I could knock down a tree with my fist if I hit it enough over a period of time (a long period). Any realistic use of a mg would never "cut down" a tree unless it was small. I'm just a bit surprised you took the time to find a video of someone shooting down a tree...but hey.

I also believe that it is possible to tap of a round at a time in DODS, if not with the mg42, surely with the .30 cal. I'm also seriously doubting that DOD:S models multiple hits on one location to chip it away. I actually think that the garand and k98 do shoot through walls, I used to snipe a lot when I played source, and I think I remember hitting guys in houses. So really our pointless debate ist kaput.

Yep, this debate is surely hopeless as you consistently persist misunderstanding and misinterpeting each an every statement I make- always a problem with smart alecs.

And btw, I didnt search for that video specially for you, genius, it was from that scene that I initially took an example intended to emphasise one of my argumants 'bout.....oh well...nevermind.

Drive safely.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
And why bash a game for not being something it never promised to be? When I saw the trailers I was impressed- they looked like toystory soldiers which you can play with. When I bought it I wasnt disappointed cos it was just the easy going fun it pretended to be.
What next? youll whine about TF2 for not being realistic and that soldiers can rocketjump to and fro?

It was *supposed* to be very similar to old DoD on the new engine. That was the impression left by those who had access to the beta version which was a direct port onto the source engine (note that the majority of who had access to this were yes-men). No one on the Day of Defeat forums ever asked or suggested for Day of Defeat: Source to be the way it is. In fact, they asked for quite the opposite. You weren't disappointed because you weren't lied to about how the new game would be similar to the old one, and you weren't told by the development team to pretty much "sit down and shut up" after you began politely pointing out why their game ****ed as a result of them throwing old gameplay mechanics out the window.

Don't make points against arguments I have not made either.

Upvote 0
I think that one of the main things with DoDS is lack of skilled mappers. There seem to be a lot who make joke maps, or orange maps, or whatever, but very few actually make "realistic" maps that are meant to be serious. RO, on the other hand, while not having as many mappers putting out as many maps, seems to have a lot more maps that are actually fun to play for more than 10 minutes. Although it is sometimes (a lot of times if you are stuck with 512mb of ram and wanna play right away) fun to play on fun maps like rifleznbayoz and fullmj.

Upvote 0
It was *supposed* to be very similar to old DoD on the new engine. That was the impression left by those who had access to the beta version which was a direct port onto the source engine (note that the majority of who had access to this were yes-men). No one on the Day of Defeat forums ever asked or suggested for Day of Defeat: Source to be the way it is. In fact, they asked for quite the opposite. You weren't disappointed because you weren't lied to about how the new game would be similar to the old one, and you weren't told by the development team to pretty much "sit down and shut up" after you began politely pointing out why their game ****ed as a result of them throwing old gameplay mechanics out the window.

Don't make points against arguments I have not made either.

I wasnt around in the original dod times (just took a voluntary 7 years excile of gaming) so I didnt know all that. Though I dont feel decieved I can sympathise with your pain. Seriously, its like seeing your favourite band making compromises to popular taste- you just feel betrayed.

As for your last remark Im not sure what youre refering to- if it's about my tf2 remark- it was just a joke.;)

Upvote 0
I think that one of the main things with DoDS is lack of skilled mappers. There seem to be a lot who make joke maps, or orange maps, or whatever, but very few actually make "realistic" maps that are meant to be serious.

Some of them orange maps are masterpieces of minimalism and offer a lot of good time.
Can you give some examples of joke maps?
The only major problem I found with dod maps was they were rather small and very linear and confined, reducing replayability value. I ended up playing mostly omaha beach which is a custom map and have a more open approach to it.

Upvote 0
I wasnt around in the original dod times (just took a voluntary 7 years excile of gaming) so I didnt know all that. Though I dont feel decieved I can sympathise with your pain. Seriously, its like seeing your favourite band making compromises to popular taste- you just feel betrayed.

As for your last remark Im not sure what youre refering to- if it's about my tf2 remark- it was just a joke.;)

Yeah, so now we are all in the clear and you know what happened. :cool:

Upvote 0
I have to agree with those 3 points. Though I still love the dod forums. Anyway I tried playing DoDS yesterday and wtf happened? First of all the servers I managed to get on were empty (but registered as 30/32). I could not play at all. AT ALL. It crushed me, it really did.

But somehow, it think its the feel that is driving me away. Its not the same feeling I had when I played Caen in 2.0 and seeing those mg tracers fly right above you as you crawl for your life! OK, thats its im going to try playing again right now!

Upvote 0
Old DoD players could be playing old DoD with Source graphics/physhics/sound right now if ProDoD didn't make the stupidest ****ing mistake they could make and put the (extremely) under-the-radar mod into a closed beta for six months just as they were getting grass roots support. Now everyone's either used to DoD:S or gone onto other things to break out old DoD every now and again, thus the mod is having a grand total of maybe 20 players at any one time.

And it all could of been so good... :(

Upvote 0
The same way you could chop a tree with an MG42 in a matter of minutes-
R A T E O F F I R E

something you could never do with a KAR.

And about the 'usual bullets' you know I meant the caliber, dont be petty.
And if I was historically inaccurate and the MGs had same caliber bullets...well, what can I say- spank me :eek: I deserve it.
I meant bullet for bullet, and yes the MG42 and KAR98 both fire 8mm Mauser and a single shot from each will penetrate through your average exterior house wall (and the three internal walls behind it behind it) without too much trouble.

At least in old DOD everything could penetrate certain objects to an extent, just having the MG's do it like in DODS is not realistic :cool:

Upvote 0
Old DoD players could be playing old DoD with Source graphics/physhics/sound right now if ProDoD didn't make the stupidest ****ing mistake they could make and put the (extremely) under-the-radar mod into a closed beta for six months just as they were getting grass roots support. Now everyone's either used to DoD:S or gone onto other things to break out old DoD every now and again, thus the mod is having a grand total of maybe 20 players at any one time.

And it all could of been so good... :(

Day of Defeat: Source could have kicked ass. Instead they kept the beta process only to a few members that they liked. I believe all of them were members of what was called "The Bunker". It was a secret sub-forum where you as a forum member could only get into by a voting in process. I was denied twice. I don't blame them for the came coming out the way it did, but that is by no means an effective way to "beta" a game by only having a select few forum members test it and give feedback when one of the ways they got into the Bunkers is because everyone liked them (that is they did not argue about where the game should be headed).

What's funny is that I STILL have beta 3.1 on my other hard drive which I currently use as a slave and I can still play it. It kicks the ass out of 1.3 retail and Day of Defeat: Source, which is quite sad. Day of Defeat used to be extremely fun and firefights were nerve racking. The maps used to be dark and have a wartorn atmosphere to them. I feel the same way about RO mod and RO: Ost Front, but Ost Front retained %90 of what I liked when it went retail, as opposed to Day of Defeat: Source which is only that its background is based on WWII. On top of that, the RO team is willing to take feed back. You can't do that on the DoD Boards; they only accept mirrors of mirrors and echoes of echoes.

Upvote 0
Finally managed to play. Flash, some things never change. Its just too fast, chaotic and random. Gets your adrenaline going but your life expentancy is crap. What boggles me is that there are no real mods for S. I remember DoDPro but it was not geared to bring massive change. So its passable and as we can see its no where to be seen. My problem is that S is a step back for DoD. Look at it this way. Each version consistently added new content or revamped play mechanics. 2.0 I believe it was that first added deployable MGs. Then 3.0 added Paratroopers and new weapons and several dozen maps. Even 1.0 retail added British, additional weapons, some pretty nice maps (Jagd is still one of my fave's from those days) while the only thing that was lost was bleeding. And then there is S. Lets see... 4 initial maps, fewer distinctive models, fewer weapons, lost Brits. So some official updates have added maps and detonation mode. Thats fine but the game is still only a quarter of what it should be. Oh and finally weapons feel like paintball guns.

Upvote 0
c. mgs can penetrate walls and wood while the usual bullets dont.

That's realistic how? Unless you have to use the volume of fire an MG produces to knock through the cover..

BAR = M2 ball, aka .30-06.
M1 Garand = M2 ball, aka .30-06

MG42 = 7.92x57mm
Mauser K98 = 7.92x57mm

Hmmm...

I have a problem with wood being considered "cover." Pistol caliber ball ammo can easily penetrate 6" of wood and still be lethal. It's one of the failings of RO, IMO, that you can hide in a house from a pair of MGs.

@Reddog: 8mm will go through more than one exterior and three interior, depending on how the house is built. I wouldn't be surprised to see one would go right through an average-sized home and into the next. I'd probably be surprised if it DIDN'T.

Upvote 0
Yep, this debate is surely hopeless as you consistently persist misunderstanding and misinterpeting each an every statement I make- always a problem with smart alecs.

And btw, I didnt search for that video specially for you, genius, it was from that scene that I initially took an example intended to emphasise one of my argumants 'bout.....oh well...nevermind.
I'm sorry, maybe I could understand you better if you didn't type like a 12 year old. :rolleyes:

I'm just not big on people who think they know rfiles and what is possible with them based on video games. Whoop de doo, they shot 450 rounds at a lopsided tree and let the weight of the tree take itself down while 1,000+ rounds would have been needed on a straight tree. No one simply "cuts down" a tree with an mg42 as you liked to suggest earlier. But hey, since you can neither create proper sentences nor read them, I did mention the fact that you could eventually tear away a chunk of wall with a couple dozen rounds.

Please don't come on here trying to act like you know more about firearms than the people who actually shoot them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0