• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

My Super Computer

Don't bother with quad core now, unless your heavily into a app that supports it, the other two cores will just sit there idling, wasting power. If you decide to drop the quad then get a Asus Striker Extreme motherboard.

Raid 0 are you crazy? Get 3 (or more) HDD's and set them up for raid 5.

Drop the PhysX card, even the few games that do support it don't warrant the price (its only a few minor extra effects, no game has fully used its capabilities yet). Also any fps gains it gives for non-supported games are extremely small.

Stay with the single GFX card, upgrade later. I suggest the Asus EN8800 GTX.

You also didn't say what case you were going to use. The Gigabyte 3D Aurora 570 has everything you could ever want in a case.

Not to sure about the speakers, not aware of movies or games that support 7.1. So I say go with the M-Audio Studiophile LX4 5.1 (LX4 is 2.1 but you can get a expander "system" (upgrade) to get 5.1). And yeah go with a X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS as SgtH3nry3 said. Now that they got rid of the useless drive bay and remote it is more than $100 less than it used to be.

Note: as always I recommend this stuff based off the Maximum PC magazine, great rag. They always try to come up with real world benchmarks and tests for their reviews instead of solely relying on spec sheets and benchmarking software (they do use them, but not only them).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Heya Jono,

Nice setup man. Very nice.

If anything, wait on the Physics card (or pass it up completely) as well as the quad core like Byte Me said. You can always upgrade it yourself later (and save some money) if you absolutely need 4 cores. Right now, it's pretty much a question of "why?".

I've tested the Physics card out and I see it as a gimmick right now as next to nothing uses it to it's full potential. Use that extra money to get a sound card (at least an X-Fi something) and maybe water cooling technology.

4 gigs of RAM will serve you nicely if you upgrade to Vista later on; all XP recognizes is 3GB

If you can, try to back off from the floppy drive and either leave the bay blank or add a media card reader (unless of course you still use floppies).

Speakers are nice, but without a decent sound card, you'll not be able to get the best from them.

I don't know much about the wireless keyboards, but wireless mice are pretty decent. I've had a bad experience with Logitechs peripherals though. If you've already have a keyboard and mouse, try and pass on this option too as it will cut down on freight and the stuff you have to get into your house.

Pass up on any software you don't need (because if you're going OEM They WILL install stuff you may not want if you select anything)

A word of warning: If you're looking into a Dell, the XPS is a pain to move and even more of a pain to find the desk space for.

Upvote 0