• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map RO-Gorlitz Beta 2

That look way better. The variation in architecture will really help it make it look
better. As i posted earlier the repetative was to much.

You can name that hotel simply.

"Das Drecks Hotel"

I'm NOT german but i know some words

Backerei-Conditorei-Note-Card-C11764016.jpeg

Bakery

geschaeft2-308x239.jpg

Butcher

logo.jpg

Gasthaus = small hotel

Last edited:
Upvote 0
first off let me say i liked the map very much,let's remember it's still in beta and some changes do need to be made. the only problem i had in the map, and i can't remember where it was maybe the first bridgehead is that when i got killed i fell thru the map and on respawn i continued to fall thru the map till i died again on second respawn every thing was fine. this happened to me twice. i'll try to find it again to pindown the actual area. i read thru most of the posts and didn't see this reported, sorry if i missed it. keep up the hard work this map shows some real promise.

Upvote 0
The cosmetic fixes look good. FPS have been excellent from the getgo. Tru3slaughter, you were in there with us when we "steamrolled" the Germans again and again. Sure like I said, the Germans won once or twice. But with the sappers in the UPC's running ahead of us and we in the T-34's clearing obstacles, we simply mopped up the areas as we breezed quickly through to the final cap point and a win. We played on this map yesterday afternoon for close to an hour and a half with 10 per side... in fact, the orther guys on our side couldn't speak english. Tru3slaughter and I were the only english speaking guys on the Russian Team. The German Team was also from Europe and they were good.

Upvote 0
Uhm a Gasthaus is not really a small hotel.
It is more like an inn.

Edit: Ok some names.
Some of the names are of real locations - I doubt that they had the same name back then, but anyway - and some not.

Fleischerei Fuchs, Fleischerei Richter, Fleischerei Landeskrone (all butchers)

B

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Looking very nice Flash, the scope is amazing, just like The Ahz designs.

One tip for now, and do it above all other things: Add BSP inside the cityblocks to occlude network actors! Remember, only BSP and the clipping distance will ocllude network actors.

Secondly: Get rid of the ambient light setting in your ZoneInfo. You have 3 sunlights which can give a much more contrasted lighting to your map which will help giving it a more varied look as well as some depth:

I did a small test on the beta:
ZoneInfo Ambient Brightness = 0
Sunlight 0 Lightbrightness = 24
Sunlight 6 Lightbrightness = 32
Sunlight 5 Lightbrightness = 96

These settings got rid of the bland look on the map (which is usually caused by those high ambient levels). It creates some light artefacts on some of your statics, but they can be corrected on those statics.

Good luck man :)

Upvote 0
Thanks for the comments Sas :) The bsp... Not sure why I didn't add those in, but theyll be there next beta. With the lighting, I don't know, I think I must see these things differently than other people. For some reason the drab looking ambient lighting seems more realistic to me. Overall, it certainly needs some tweaking, but I would be pretty hesitant to eliminate the ambient alltogether. I'll definately do some experimenting with it though, the good thing is that with the way I have the smoothing groups applied to the meshes and the fact that none of the meshes cast a shadow, I could do a much higher contrast lighting scheme without a bunch of nasty vertex lighting results.

you don't have to cop out and do the ambient lighting the fullbright way, just stick to the 3 sunlight actors and use very low brightness large radius light actors and place them in your streets to emulate the radiosity of the light bounching off the buildings. The bland look is realistic, but the uniform lighting is not.

Upvote 0
Played on the Tripwire server 2 tonight, with quite a few of the devs in there. The server was full up I think (or nearly full) Gameplay wise I found that the Allies were able to push really hard and got as far as the Trainyard, with 9 minutes to go. We became bogged down and didn't get any further until the clock timed out. Next try of the map and we got to the same area, with roughly the same amount of time remaining. Again we didnt get any further. Dont have any suggestions (other than smoke grenades) that would maybe make the Trainyards easier to navigate through.

I personally found that the respawn for the allies at this stage (assuming you are killed in the Trainyard) was a bit far to get back into the action. I found myself falling through the map into the river several times at this moment, as has been mentioned before.

Excellent map, I like the improvements you have introduced on Beta 2.
Look forward to the next one.

Upvote 0
I would like to see smoke grenades for both sides added - for germans it would be helpfull in tank hunting, for the russian infantry a help to advance.

It seemed for the first round today that germans do not stand a chance, however the fausts help a lot...maybe if german smoke makes it too easy, add a few satchel pickups instead of fausts. Give the germans some variety in how they kill their tanks.

Other than that, excellent map, truly tactical, felt like a Battlefront Combat Mission 2 game. Maybe some usable second-floor windows and balconys would be nice for both sides to fire down from, but other than that it's very good.

Upvote 0
Some notes after playing:
Great design, I like the gameplay a lot.

Stop messing with the default roles you silly git... omg i can remember you giving tankers rifles on Arad... :| Stop it Flash!
  • Give the commanders their smoke back.
  • Give the classes their nades back. The 'real' scale of the map will reduce the effectiveness of nades. It's a silly balance act you're performing, if ANY class should have nades historically and tactically* it's the assault class.
  • Use the semiauto role if you want semi auto's instead of giving the sterlok semi auto's.
  • Add 1 or 2 German PF roles so the germans have the role to start with.
Last two points are minor. You have enough PF locations in place to not need the AT role. And i can easily see the pro's in just having pickups for every soldier. So no biggie.

As a last tip: You have PF spawns near every ammo resupply location, but i still had to look for them since they are at another sandbag location or whatever. Use the ammo resupply location itself as the same spot for PF pickups, so players can see on their overhead map where PF's can be found since it will benefit from the resupply icon.

* = I can't stand not being able to supress my target area with a nade when i'm preparing for an assault as assault-class because the designer is afraid of 'nade spam'. Face it Flash: nades were made in the millions, and every soldier with a brain threw them in an area before moving in. Especially assault groups.

Oh, PS: The light settings above didnt make the map 'contrasty', but it gave the daylight some more body without diminishing the scattered grey daylight effect too much and without adding to much artifacts (I only saw 2 or so). 24 and 32 give each shadow side on building a slightly different grayscale tone which is more natural and gives better depth then 7 - 7. Use the sunlights to your advantage.

Upvote 0
you don't have to cop out and do the ambient lighting the fullbright way, just stick to the 3 sunlight actors and use very low brightness large radius light actors and place them in your streets to emulate the radiosity of the light bounching off the buildings. The bland look is realistic, but the uniform lighting is not.

you only need one sunlight actor, unless you want the light hitting from different angles. sunlight actors are not spot lights MOZ, they dont cover a single spot in your map. when you set up a sunlight actor, depending on the direction you give it, the actor will direct the light allthrough your map, not just the spot where you placed it.

Upvote 0
Yes but if you only use a single sunlight actor butcher1 you will get completely black spots on the other side of buildings/objects. If you use 3 Sunlight actors all pointing towards the middle with one of them being double the light value of the other two it gets rid of those shadows while still having one direction act as the sun.

You can use a single sunlight if you want but behind buildings you will have to add individual lights everywhere to simulate the diffused sunlight bouncing off buildings and everything. Danzig uses only a single sunlight actor but there are about 500 individual lights all around the streets to simulate diffused lighting. For Danzig this works because the map is small but for a map like Gorlitz that would be a nightmare and would require thousands of lights so 3 sunlights is a much better option in my opinion to achieve a similar result. :)

Upvote 0
Played another 3 times tonight, twice as German, once as Russian. The Russians still lost badly.

Wish I could remember exactly, but there is a Russian spawn point near the river/bridge where you fall thru the map to some twilight zone level.

I wholeheartedly agree on the nades. Very frustrating not to have them. I often felt as if I was making a suicide assualt at times on several sandbags without them.

Also, smoke, needed smoke so badly to help cover advances as a Russian.

Any chance on decreasing either the respawn time or the distance from the spawns? Just seem a little unnecessarily long IMO.

Excellent potential, the fight for the bridges are very tough and challenging for both sides! :)

Upvote 0
Stop messing with the default roles you silly git... omg i can remember you giving tankers rifles on Arad... :| Stop it Flash!
  • Give the commanders their smoke back.
  • Give the classes their nades back. The 'real' scale of the map will reduce the effectiveness of nades. It's a silly balance act you're performing, if ANY class should have nades historically and tactically* it's the assault class.
  • Use the semiauto role if you want semi auto's instead of giving the sterlok semi auto's.
  • Add 1 or 2 German PF roles so the germans have the role to start with.

I have to say I agree 100%

Give riflemen back thier rifles please :)

Upvote 0
Have now show Ramm that it is possible to win as Russians (;)) I would like to disagree with his earlier statement about smoke grenades. I think that this map works wonderfully without them. Covering fire and good infantry/tank teamwork is VERY powerful for the russians.

Somkes would only lower already poor fps situations and idiot commanders would block their own MGers LOS, completely negating one of the teams major advantages.

If anything I would give the russians another MGer rather than give the commander smoke grenades.

This also feels VERY much like jucha to me due to the lack of grenades.

Altogehter an incredable experience.

One thing to note is that when the germans have a team that knows how to faust the russian infantry really have to work hard to keep their tanks alive. It might be worth investigating removing the faust class for the germans and simply leaving the respawing fausts at key defensive positions or investigating some other way to balance the tanks vs. the fausts.

There are number of stuck spots and so far one MGer spolit spot which I can post pictures of if you want them.

Cant wait to see the next version :D

Upvote 0