• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design water not working.

tumbleweed

Grizzled Veteran
May 26, 2006
holland
Hi, i got a few fluidsurfaces forming a river.
in the pice where u can see it i put in a water volume for shooting effects etc.

now i have the folowing problem :

all my water that is within a volume. meaning any volume, like water, blocking standard volume works after putting it there in the editor, but after a rebuild it becomes static and no way to get it moving again, unless i delete it put in a new one, but after a rebuild , mehhh static again, any suggestions?

btw the water outside the volumes keeps working fine... :confused:

yep, in realtime it works , but when i rebuild (partial or full, happens in both cases)it stops functioning.

i used a water volume for 3fluidsurface actors, maybe they need a dedicated volume per actor? (gonna try that)

or maybe a watervolume being in a normal volume(to specify a location or a spawnarea) does not work?

i'll just go off and delete stuff until it works.. sometimes Ued is ..... , it should have a " this does not work" warning system intergrated... :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Hi again well I hpe you solved the problem .I quite new a this .I made a long stream and i used 3 fluid infoes also but I didnt add any water volume at the time but my problem was that I had a very bad perfomance at game ,lag.I was advised to scale it ,only one with the bottom scaler on the bottom right.Another trick was to copy and paste ARAD river somwhere near my map and compare the properties

Upvote 0
maybe this will help, http://udn.epicgames.com/Two/FluidSurfaceTutorial.html

and putting a fluidsurface along with some terrain *maybe a lake or something
in a empty map and trying stuff out until you get a idea what does what is a good idea.

i use a " temp" map for everything i want to explore, even make stuf in my level in bsp and copy it into a temp map to make it a staticmesh or edit it without the need to rebuild the whole level to see the results, but just the litlle temp map (the level i currently build takes more than 15 mins to do a full rebuild.

i noticed 3 things with water that can make it less demanding for your pc.

1 the grid size, (the size of the tiles forming the surface) the bigger the less demanding ( offcourse toghether with making the actual zise of the surface smaller, ued makes it 48x48 when u put it in the level so resizing it to 24x24 an make the grid twice as big gets a 48x48 sized surface
with less tiles and results in less calculations.

2 the wilder it moves the more demanding it is.
the max up and down movement (-70x70 by default) and the fluidspeed (160 by default) affect the performance, i use lower values like +/- 50
up/down and a speed of 70 for normal water.

3 dont use to much of them in 1 view (i mean if u cannot see it it should not be rendered. check property window>diplay>culldistance (begin with 1000 and up it if it dissapears when in sight) and try to set the distance so it dissapears when its just out of view, check all angles from which u can see the water and if u use it well u have a less demanding situation.
also u can use a fluidsurface closeby and use a sheet with the same texture in the distance (if the distance is unaccesable i mean:D)

hope this is usefull.

Upvote 0