• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Randomised Ammo Loadouts

Jhaxavier

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 9, 2006
I am not sure about how well-equipped soldiers on both sides were, but maybe on later war maps where the fighting went crazy, there should be randomized ammo loadouts...here's an example...

A guy with a Mosin-Nagant respawns, but his number of clips he carries in the start are randomised between 3 and 9 clips. Say he was poorly equipped by the guy in the truck (or his NCO was greedy). Grenades also may be randomised from 0 to 3 or so.

Another thing that randomised loadouts would do is mix up how you play your class. For example, an Avomatchik who respawns with a PPSh and with only 2 clips (one in his gun, other in pouch) would want to be more cautious than your vanilla run-and-gun type. This also may prevent snipers from hogging a spot forever if they run out of ammo quicker than normal. This may also make players in general more accurate and value their ammo.

If you start with less than your maximum, you can hop by an ammo pile and grab some spare clips and fill up your ammo slots all the way up.

Imagine the possibilities...in Pariser Platz, for instance, you could have the Volkstrum (sp?) with much less ammo than their soldier counterparts. Go running into the battle with only 2 stripper clips to go with your K98. If you can, grab that dead Russian's Mosin and take his maxed-out ammo. :D

Another thing that should be observed is that it should be a server side option, instead of a universal change. So if the server likes desperados who keep picking up guns, they can set their ammo loadouts low, or if they like it default, no problem either.

I will say again, I am not sure at all about the realism of this, but there you go. Constructive crits are welcome :eek:

Last edited:
I like this idea, and I would especially like it if it was a server side option instead of a total change.

Maybe there could also be a certain chance of getting a certain amount of ammo over a different ammount, so instead of each different ammo amount having the exact same chance of appearing, you might have a 1/10 chance of getting less than 4 clips but a 5/10 chance of getting 6 or more clips as an example, or somthing else along those lines.

And for tose maps where having randomized ammo amount could hurt the game, maybe each map could have a different randomization setup for when the server host has the option on.

Upvote 0
I am not sure about how well-equipped soldiers on both sides were, but maybe on later war maps where the fighting went crazy, there should be randomized ammo loadouts...here's an example...

A guy with a Mosin-Nagant respawns, but his number of clips he carries in the start are randomised between 3 and 9 clips. Say he was poorly equipped by the guy in the truck (or his NCO was greedy). Grenades also may be randomised from 0 to 3 or so.

Another thing that randomised loadouts would do is mix up how you play your class. For example, an Avomatchik who respawns with a PPSh and with only 2 clips (one in his gun, other in pouch) would want to be more cautious than your vanilla run-and-gun type. This also may prevent snipers from hogging a spot forever if they run out of ammo quicker than normal. This may also make players in general more accurate and value their ammo.

If you start with less than your maximum, you can hop by an ammo pile and grab some spare clips and fill up your ammo slots all the way up.

Imagine the possibilities...in Pariser Platz, for instance, you could have the Volkstrum (sp?) with much less ammo than their soldier counterparts. Go running into the battle with only 2 stripper clips to go with your K98. If you can, grab that dead Russian's Mosin and take his maxed-out ammo. :D

Another thing that should be observed is that it should be a server side option, instead of a universal change. So if the server likes desperados who keep picking up guns, they can set their ammo loadouts low, or if they like it default, no problem either.

I will say again, I am not sure at all about the realism of this, but there you go. Constructive crits are welcome :eek:

I think the ammo loadouts should say accurate to what the standard equipment loadout really was. Sure, early in the war the Germans had no ammunition shortage and the Russians were chronically short, and later in the war the Germans were running short and the Russians had an overwhelming surplus, but other than a few notably historic situations, most soldiers were able to fill their ammo pouches with what they would carry.

It would be an interesting idea for mappers to set up low ammo for maps that took place at certain times to reflect the supply situation of either army at the time, but as for random, that is just adding something non combat related and non skill related, out of the players control to the game and I personally don't like that.

Upvote 0
I like the idea, people might actually have a need for the ammo dumps scattered around the maps. And who seriously ever runs out of ammo, unless you're a trigger happy SMG spammer?
I run out of shells in my IS2 from time to time. on Ogledow particularly. I can go an entire round defending the Hill with 1 life solo or TT.

I have wondered if the ammo dumps work in regards to reloading tanks?

This Idea ain't bad, but might be frustrating in-game=might kill the fun factor... idk. :confused:

Upvote 0