• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Lockable Tanks

tk4

FNG / Fresh Meat
Feb 4, 2007
I would like to see a feature that would allow the first person to get in a tank the option to lock it, as to prevent other teamates from entering it.

Many times I am in a Tiger, or IS-2, angled perfectly and picking off enemies ,before I enter a cap zone, only to have some noob enter my tank and start driving it around, most cases causing both our deaths since the angling gets screwed up. It's even worse when a bot enters your tank.

Being able to lock tanks would also fix the 'Get out of my tank I was here first!" problem.

Thoughts?

When I get "tankjacked" by human players and while I am not in the mood for teamtanking I don't tell the person to get out rather I say that I don't teamtank and wait to see if he/they get the point and leave on their own accord. If that don't help and if the tankjacker is a complete retard I will do everything in my power to lose the tank to enemy action, that is either I drive into minefields or close to enemy forces or if at the commanders station I don't fire the maingun. Tankjackers are the worst kind of players in existence imo and unless you know the dude you share tank with and enjoy good communications together you are almost always worse off by having more than one player in the tank..
Instead of locking the tanks hatches and accespoints it should be possible for the tank commander to shut down or start the tanks engine instead - anyone who wants to tankjack will get nowhere if the tank can't drive and those who really wants to teamtank are the kind of persons who would wait for the order to drive anyway so they would not mind a little wait before being able to drive the tank.

Upvote 0
I would like to see a feature that would allow the first person to get in a tank the option to lock it, as to prevent other teamates from entering it.

Many times I am in a Tiger, or IS-2, angled perfectly and picking off enemies ,before I enter a cap zone, only to have some noob enter my tank and start driving it around, most cases causing both our deaths since the angling gets screwed up. It's even worse when a bot enters your tank.

Being able to lock tanks would also fix the 'Get out of my tank I was here first!" problem.

Thoughts?

Thanks should NOT be driven by one person, but by a team. There should be a driver and a commander/gunner to be most effective and make good use of the tank for your team. A third person manning the co-axial gun is good too, though often not as important if there isn't a lot of infantry around.

If the ability to "lock" the tanks down to the first person in were available, then all you'd see would be the solo tankers jumping in and not working to learn how to cooperate with their fellow teamates who should be tanking as well.

Those people who are saying, "Get ouf of my tank, I was here first!" should either learn the game, learn how to tank effectively, find a new game where they can tank by themselves and the team won't rely on them, or just plain stop being a dink. As one person above said, sometimes they don't "feel" like teamtanking so will do everything in their power to lose it to enemy action. That is exactly what I"m talking about. That guy is a detriment to his team, costs reinforcements and I sure hope is on the opposing team whenever I'm playing.

Sometimes I don't feel like tanking with the other guy who jumps in my tank as well, as I usually teamtank with buddies who are on a seperate voice program. However, even if I'm the first in the tank and I don't think I can teamtank effectively with that person, it is ME who jumps out. It's not my tank, doesnt' have my name on it. Nobody is going to respect that you think the tank is yours, but they will respect that you might not be in the "mood" to teamtank. If thats you, then you should be the one jumping out. CHange classes, or wait for a tank to spawn with nobody else jumping into it. On some maps though, there are the right number of tanks to tanker spots. If you take off without someone, you are wasting a tanker position, which may be crucial. If you feel like racing away to prevent someone jumping in...change classes.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I hate tank-jacking, but a lockout is not the answer. People who drive strait into multiple enemies with the Tiger, IS2 etc. sux as well.

...oh yeah,

geordiibtl4lo0au.gif

Upvote 0