• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Knifes?

Kommy

FNG / Fresh Meat
Feb 18, 2007
Would it be possible to add something like using a bayonet as a knife? I'm almost positive it happened in the war. For axis classes that don't have a bayonet give them something to use like a spade for a knife. I don't know what to give the allied classes that don't have a bayonet. I think it would be a nice thing to have if you ever get caught in a risky situation. Anyone with me? I did look at the compiled list and I didn't see anything like this so please don't flame me if this suggestion already exists.

I think it is unneeded, although I noticed in a few of the custom maps tankcrewmen have no pistol (all Heer tank crewmen were issued at least a handgun, included the commander, in addition to 1 MP40 in the tank)

Long as you have some weapon, loaded or ammoless, you have a defensive peice right there.

When you start having guys using "knives" (Bayonet) or "Spades" (E-tools) RO starts to look like BF1942 and the 'Forgotten Hope' mod which although it prides itself on 'realism' is still every bit as arcadish as the vanilla game.

This is the wrong road to go down. Not everyone was issued a bayonet or E-Tool anyway. Dont know about the Soviet forces as much.

Upvote 0
Would it be possible to add something like using a bayonet as a knife? I'm almost positive it happened in the war. For axis classes that don't have a bayonet give them something to use like a spade for a knife. I don't know what to give the allied classes that don't have a bayonet. I think it would be a nice thing to have if you ever get caught in a risky situation. Anyone with me? I did look at the compiled list and I didn't see anything like this so please don't flame me if this suggestion already exists.

Ratzinger said it....however, everyone has their fists. I think the ability to use your fists as a last resort should be included. I know this has been threaded a million times, but I hate when my gun has been shot out of my hand, no nades left and the guy in standing in front of me trying to aim and I can't do anything.

Hitting the guy, I should be able to do. A fist attack would have very little damage, if any, but should at least throw off his aim, perhaps a chance of knocking his own gun out of his hands. At least affect the guy with the gun a little bit so I can get away or run towards my weapon on the ground to pick up. It doesn't make sense that I'd just be standing there with my hands at my side unable to do anything.

Upvote 0
This has been discussed in the past a good amount. I agree knives would be a very cool (and realistic too) addition. Imagine some guy coming at you trying to stab you in the chest! Scary scary! The funniest would be the deathmessage icon (I imagine a hand with a knife) lol. Also@Ratzinger RO isn't all that realistic. It's just more realistic than most games.

Upvote 0
Little trivia - German Wehrmacht bayonets were only sharpened on the tip. They were not made for 'knife fights' unless you were going for a straight stabbing. So 'BF1942' style fights would be pretty useless.

Beleive me, enjoy RO for how it is now, you dont want to open the floodgates with arcadish things like that. Then youll have people asking for Soviets to be able to 'steal' German tanks/halftracks and vice versa.

But, I am also the guy that wants to see the jump completely eliminated :p

Upvote 0
I would like to see knives and fists. I don't know what world Ratzinger grew up in, but to me, not having them is not realistic.

If you were in a real battle and you lost your gun or ran out of ammo when there was an enemy right in front of you, what would you do? Toss your grenades at him and hope you can get behind cover faster than he does so they kill him and not you? Run around aimlessly trying to dance your way around his shots until he empties his magazine? Fall to your knees and plead for your life, knowing that he is under orders to take no prisoners? Good luck with that.

I would claw his freakin' eyes out with my bare hands or whatever other implements I had available. It's a fight to death. The silliness and recklessness of the current system is what makes it gamey. Just because the current system is messed up doesn't mean it always has to be that way. Don't think in such narrow terms.

P.S. : You want to eliminate jumping? Are you nuts? When it comes to clearing an obstacle course, our current RO soldiers couldn't even qualify for the Special Olympics team. They get hung up on the stupidest little things. Taking out jumping would make it even worse.

Upvote 0
Its knives not knifes! :rolleyes:

GrammarNazi.jpg

;)

Upvote 0
I would like to see knives and fists. I don't know what world Ratzinger grew up in, but to me, not having them is not realistic.

If you were in a real battle and you lost your gun or ran out of ammo when there was an enemy right in front of you, what would you do? Toss your grenades at him and hope you can get behind cover faster than he does so they kill him and not you? Run around aimlessly trying to dance your way around his shots until he empties his magazine? Fall to your knees and plead for your life, knowing that he is under orders to take no prisoners? Good luck with that.

I would claw his freakin' eyes out with my bare hands or whatever other implements I had available. It's a fight to death. The silliness and recklessness of the current system is what makes it gamey. Just because the current system is messed up doesn't mean it always has to be that way. Don't think in such narrow terms.

I thought one of those other close combat threads discussed/decided that we should only have fists, e-tools and such only when we have an improved close combat system. I personally wouldn't want to try swinging a spade around with the current system.

Upvote 0

P.S. : You want to eliminate jumping? Are you nuts? When it comes to clearing an obstacle course, our current RO soldiers couldn't even qualify for the Special Olympics team. They get hung up on the stupidest little things. Taking out jumping would make it even worse.

Most of the Germans and Russians on the Eastern front were NOT issued knives and as someone already mentioned, bayonets cannot be used as knives as they are not sharpened on the blade. Neither side would have wasted the amount of steel it would take to manufacture millions of knives when they were locked in a life and death struggle.

The German bayonet, like all bayonets was sharpened only on the tip, not the blade. You would only be able to stab with it, not slash, which makes it better on the end of the rifle.

The Russian bayonet is just a spike that you attached to your rifle, nothing you can use with a handle at all.

Upvote 0
It's only sharpened on the tip, so...

So what?

All the grunts on either side were issued bayonets. It ain't that huge of a leap to think of using them without the rifle if the need arose. And though a bayonet only sharpened on the tip is only useful for stabbing, stabbing is plenty lethal.

There's also no source that I've read that says German soldiers couldn't sharpen the edge of their K98 bayonets on their own. On the other hand, the Mosin bayonet is nothing like a knife. In fact, it's actually a screwdriver. But it's about 17 inches long and if I was in a close fight without a gun and I had it on me, I wouldn't hesitate to use it.

All I'm saying is that we need something, anything, to fix the ridiculous cartoon mode that kicks in when you get the dreaded "Weapon shot out of hand!" I don't care what it is, as long as it keeps the game competitive and fun instead of silly and frantic.

Upvote 0