• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Respawning is not realism

Perhaps the devs should add the childhood of your avatar. I mean hey that's very unrealistic spawning in the battlefield. You should spawn in front of your mother who gave birth to you. Then you should grow up and lets say after 17 years of playing you are sent to the front. And if you die there you are really dead (or buy RO again). Only one live on all servers thats what I call REALISTIC!

Upvote 0
considering both the soviets and the nazis were very much atheistic, there would be absolutely no reason for volunteer for a suicide mission as there is no heaven for the one who kills the enemy by paying his life.

The Soviets and the Germans were religious just like anyone else. Before the war, Stalin tried to eliminate religion because he viewed it as a challenge to his authority, but what government tries to do, no matter how harshy, doesn't change what the general population believed. By mid-war, the Communist party softened its stance and Soviet soldiers were allowed to practice their religion and religious places of worship were no longer suppressed. The Russian Orthodox church played an important role in Soviet morale.

On the German side, again, it was the Nazi party that was not religiously affiliated, not much different than the governments of most modern western countries. Even then, the relationship was close. The Nazi party and the catholic church had a close relationship. The soldiers themselves were very religious. The Germans had their version of "chaplain" in their forces as well. Religious ceremonies were performed at all German funeral rites just the same as with the Western Allies.

Upvote 0
The map sizes you must have respawn, but the score should tell you how many times you died.

I vote for removing score in totality. changing the scores wontt'change people.

Remove the scoreboard and give people a rating in their name like

Amount of times you won the map you play at this side. devided by the amount of times you played that map.

A ranking based on winnings and loosings of a map will give more teamwork than individual stats.

But then again individual punishments should be there aswell for giving away your lives and not caring about death :p.

Upvote 0
I vote for removing score in totality.
ahha! i've found someone else. must be others...?
IIRC correctly I think I saw a server that had no scores once, unless something had gone seriously wrong.

When the question of changing the scoring has arisen in the past I've always thought a few certain adjustments would make it a better reflection of player contribution but
a) That's just not gonna happen
b) It's a pain in the arse to type it all out
so I won't go into it again.

So now I'm in the 'remove scores camp' because
a) It still wont happen , but can at least be a simple server mod
b) It's quicker to type.

Back to the thread topic- there's a lot of things about videos games that aren't realistic, and it would be puerile to list them -
Suffice to say: The reinforment system works and ppl like it, so it stays and that's that.
But if someone makes a no respawn map, that also works and ppl like it then it will get played, and that's (equally) that.

Upvote 0
I want to be able to enter the server with limited amount of lifes. 2 Lifes per round, for example. About 10 minutes roundtime. Wait time after you killed ~3 minutes. Also having an area based objectives is not too fun. Zerg fest above Tactic and Teamplay.
See Americas Army Operations gameplay, weapon selection system and objective systems. Would be nice if I could choose the server with same rules as in aao.

Upvote 0
Honestly, I didn't even read the whole thread, just the first post. I'm not going to bother responding to the ridiculous suggestion. I'll just respond to the title:

Respawning is not realism

Agreed. Now, come up with a better way to simulate a large-scale battle under the constraints of server processing power and bandwidth, code it, test and tune it, and then show it to us.

Go ahead. We're waiting.

Upvote 0
ahha! i've found someone else. must be others...?
IIRC correctly I think I saw a server that had no scores once, unless something had gone seriously wrong.

When the question of changing the scoring has arisen in the past I've always thought a few certain adjustments would make it a better reflection of player contribution but
a) That's just not gonna happen
b) It's a pain in the arse to type it all out
so I won't go into it again.

So now I'm in the 'remove scores camp' because
a) It still wont happen , but can at least be a simple server mod
b) It's quicker to type.

Back to the thread topic- there's a lot of things about videos games that aren't realistic, and it would be puerile to list them -
Suffice to say: The reinforment system works and ppl like it, so it stays and that's that.
But if someone makes a no respawn map, that also works and ppl like it then it will get played, and that's (equally) that.

Removing score is easy but people like competition. Thats why i vote for competition in a method thats only about winning the map or loosing it and nothing elses that matters to the ranking gains. That way ppl that want a nice ranking musts get the team to win.

Upvote 0
Oh, I'd love it if we had no scoreboard other than a general team roster. Sadly, people are into their points and see no reason to play if you can't distinguish yourself as an individual through points.

I'd rather just have the team accomplish its goals than score points myself, although in the current system, if you do the former, you end up doing the latter (usually, although not always).

Upvote 0
I hate to join in beating this smelly dead horse that you guys have dug up, but for some reason I just can't resist...

1. Teamwork in RO is almost non-existent.
2. The team with the most skilled players almost always wins, regardless of coordination or lack thereof.
3. One individual can turn the whole tide of the battle, and frequently does.
4. Therefore, individual accomplishments are important.
5. Therefore, the scoreboard should be left in.

There. I said it as compactly as I could say it.

Upvote 0
To solve this problem, let us introduce the same thing into the game, that helped the soviets and nazis making their people run into combat:

Afaik only the soviets used that pressurising medium all over the war. They even went so far to shoot soldiers who lost connection to their squad for a few hours as they were assumed to be betrayers. And many of the prisoners of war who were rescued were executed too or sent to the russian counterpart of the KZ as they were regarded as german spies cause only betrayers would allow themself to be captured by the enemy.
The germans executed deserters -the german quota of deserters is estimated about 2% from which most were hanged in their hometown as determent- like all the involved parties did but they never forced soldiers to decide between the option to get shot from the enemy with a slight change to survive or getting shot by thier officers like it is for example shown in "Enemy at the Gates".
Well there might have been some examples in the late period of war -the time when the untrained Volkssturm men were thrown against the enemy lines- but overall it wasn't a usual behaviour of the german officers.
Soldiers who attracted attention of one of the snitchers were displaced into the "Strafkompanie" where they surely had a lot of fun with finding mines, digging graves into the frozen ground or attacking heavily guarded positions. The russian comissars simple and plain shot conspicious people.

Back to topic. I think that the respawn is ok as it is now as most of the represented battles were fought by more then just 16 soldiers per side and allowing players to respawn is the best way to represent bigger battles without rising the server cap to 200 or whatever. However if there were small maps with an objective like taking a accommodation building or an antitank gun position it might be interesting to just allow one spawn as there sure were small commando missions.
I'm playing RO for over 8 months now but yesterday was the first time that I experienced real teamplay with random people. So I think too that there must be some fixes to the game mechanics to force people to work as a team. But I don't have any idea how it may be done.
Changes concerning the scoreboard might be one idea, an other one might be some kind of "thrill"-bar, which makes aiming more difficult and reloading much slower if it's rosen to the top. You get more thrilled if you're on your own -except for snipers as they're are ment to be alone- facing a tank or under heavy fire, which would make MGs more effective too and a bit more realistic.
"Sto

Last edited:
Upvote 0