• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Knock Down System

Webly

Sep 30, 2006
First off, huge fan of RO and TW, I think they made FPS worthwhile again.

The idea was brought up when I was part of an RO tourney. (also the guys on the TW test server liked the idea)

When you shoot someone or beat them in the head with the butt of your weapon, they get shooken-up and many times they fall down. Who's expirenced trying to bash someone when your out of ammo and since the first hit didn't kill your enemy they just turned around and shot you?

The thing is, beating someone to death in real life is hard, even at full rush like we do in RO its very difficult to kill someone with one blow. They do go unconcious, or just fall over though, and require secondary blows to finish the job (obviously the beaten combatant is in no shape to shot anyone Unlike his RO counterpart).

When someone is shot (in the leg for example) they don't just slow down they usually fall over. Not dead but immobilzed. So lets say your in a game of RO, a submachine gunner charges you shooting wide because hes too faraway (but he's closing fast) you put one round through his knee and he slows up but is still coming at you. No problem just shot him again, except that was you last round and u gotta reload, while you do that he closes with you and pumps you full of lead. In real life he would have be sprawled on the ground after the shot giving you time to reload or the oppurtunity to finish him off with you bayonet.

Thats the idea. Its an idea from the community.

I like this idea, especially when the you get your legs shot up. Right now when that happens it brings the player to a stop but it looks kind of akward how they lose all thier momentum from running. Having them fall forward would look more natural.

As for bashing I would rather see a 1-2 second "blackout" especially when bashed in the upper body and head. Having them fall to the ground would just make it harder to bash them to death.

Upvote 0
To be truly realistic, if one is hit in the legs they should instantly be knocked prone by the impact!!!

The current system of being brought to a painstakingly slow limp does not 'look' or 'feel' realistic in the slightest!1

I would be happier if I was knocked over when hit, then still upright & offering a large target, wondering what to do next!!

Upvote 0
So if I shot you in the leg, you are immediatly not a threat anymore and should be classed as dead?

IRL REAL PEOPLE who are hell bent on fighting and killing the enemy can take an awful amount of punishment before they are deemed 'out of action'! On the Eastern Front this fanatism could only be equalled to perhaps the Vietnamese or the Afghans during the Cold War.

Upvote 0
Well if you want to talk realism:

Your running as fast as you can as well as carrying a lot of heavy equipment. If I shoot you in the leg, even with a low caliber gun, your most likely going to fall.

Then again I don't really care too much about realism. I just like the gameplay aspect of it because being shot too a standstill is kind of weird. Of course when shot and unable to move most people go prone anyway.

Upvote 0
I was going to start a thread on this topic. Of course players should be knocked down when hit in the leg with a rifle bullet.
I would also like to see a knockdown with pistol bullets at close range. It's frustrating and silly to put 2 pistol rounds into an enemy, only to have him run up and instantly kill you with a bayonet.
Sure, there are examples of individuals charging after taking fatal wounds, but these are notable exceptions, certainly not the norm.

Upvote 0
Really almost any bullet wound (besides grazes and arm shots) should make a person drop (if they aren't killed). I'm always getting hit in the shoulder and it just momentarily slows me down.

It's not like the movies, bullets do not cause you to be knocked over or fly backwards or in any way transfer their kinetic energy to your body was a whole. Military bullets on both sides on the Eastern Front were full metal jacketed, which means they more than likely go through you (granted leaving some nasty damage), but most bullet wounds were through and through. A shot in the leg does not "knock" you legs flying out from under you. Unless the bullet pierced nerves or vital bone structure, a let shot likely would not knock you down. It might make you slow real fast and want to drop down, but if you are fighting in a life and death situation, that adrenaline would likely keep you on your feet regardless, until you get to safety or bleed out/go into shock.

Even modern rifle or pistol bullets don't knock you backwards or off your feet, they pierce into you. If you are unlucky and it's a hollow point, the bullet fragments/explodes into pieces once inside you, shrapnel goes everywhere and the energy is expended in the fluid and flesh of your body; like police bullets, where they need to prevent the bullet from exiting the other side of the body and possibly injuring someone else.

An example some of you might be familar with, if you've hunted small deer (smaller than humans) and shot them with a rifle, hollow point bullet even. If it's not an immediate kill, they animal doesn't get knocked off it's feet from the impact, but tries to run right away. At least until it's systems start shutting down.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
All of you should also remember that in RO, when your shot anywhere but you dont die, is really considered being grazed. The Dev's have said time and again that any wound that would make the soldier "combat inneffective" is considered dead in RO. Basically that means any wound that would knock a person over is a dead player in RO.

Now that I dont like and support these ideas, but its one of the main points that we should remember.

I support the knockdown idea, but it should really happen when you take the most damage to an area you can before you would be RO dead. For those other instances I would suggest a sort of stumble animation that would slow you down, but also look better than the player just standing there like a deer in the headlights.

But I think one of the big areas is that your screen not affected when you take a hit. I know that a bullet wouldn't have the energy to kock you around like that, but having your view remain completly untouched after taking a wound to the chest or leg looks completly unnatural.

As for the melee combat, somthing does need to be done about it, I especially hate it when you knock someone in the back of the head only to have them spin around and shoot you without effort. I support both a temperory screen blur/blackout when hit, a jerk to your screen, and I also suggest that if your hit in the back versus the front, you take more damage and cant turn for a short period.

Someone else had also suggested that if you are stabbed in the back with a bayonet, that you should not be able to turn untill the blade is removed from your back.

Upvote 0
The exception to this rule would be a Shot gun 10/12/16 gauge(slug/ssg)I hav hunted deer with a 12G.I hit 1 just behind front legs(heart)approx 40 feet away and he went flying 3-4 feet sideways(approx180lbs).It took him right off his feet(hooves),It got up walked 4-5 steps than dropped dead.I hav never hunted big game since(70's)If a man go hit in the torso he would be sent flyin backwards and on his back a # of feet i can assure u of that,n dead as can be,,,but since no shot guns in RO,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Upvote 0
Also deers and people just seem to take the pain and the shock diffrently. Of course shooting someone doesn't transfer huge amounts kinetic energy like it does in Hollywood (Once Upon A Time In Mexico) but people do fall over when they are shot. Esspecially when they get shot in the legs (even if it just hits meat and no bone). Deer are something else, I don't know what it is exactly but they'll usually keep going till they're right on death.

Basically I'm saying people take non-mortal bullet wounds and fall over while a deer (and most animals I've hunted) will keep going after a mortal shot until there is nothing left.

Upvote 0
Also deers and people just seem to take the pain and the shock diffrently. Of course shooting someone doesn't transfer huge amounts kinetic energy like it does in Hollywood (Once Upon A Time In Mexico) but people do fall over when they are shot. Esspecially when they get shot in the legs (even if it just hits meat and no bone). Deer are something else, I don't know what it is exactly but they'll usually keep going till they're right on death.

Basically I'm saying people take non-mortal bullet wounds and fall over while a deer (and most animals I've hunted) will keep going after a mortal shot until there is nothing left.

How many people have you seen take mortal or non-mortal bullet wounds in real life to base this comment on? :D

Upvote 0
i like this idea, but i think it needs to be mentioned that you do not always fall down when shot. adreneline kicks into play in battle and you are able to put many little annoyances out of mind. a graze by a bullet will not always be noticed. a bullet driving deep into tissue and bone will stop u in yer trax. i think that it would be nice to add the knockdown factor into the game play, but include it ontop of the existing gimp limp. giving a graze a gimp limp and a solid hit a knockdown.

Upvote 0