• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Project Reality out tomorow!

Wow! This new version with a lot more custom maps just rocks my socks out. It doesn't feel like vanilla BF2 anymore because of the huge adjustments. I didn't like the previous versions that much but this is just something great. Definitely worth a try.

And the revives don't bother me that much, I think they just spice up the tactical side of the game. Well, each to his own, I'm off to the battlefield! :D

Upvote 0
And the revives don't bother me that much, I think they just spice up the tactical side of the game. Well, each to his own, I'm off to the battlefield!

Just how can someone put "revive" and "tactical" in the same breath is beyond my power of compreension :eek:

Even if we put all realism aside, the fact is that revives are not repeat NOT a tactical element to any game.

Indeed to each his own....... I am having tons of fun with BF 2142 BTW, but then again that game never even claimed to be anything beyond a simple SF shooter. Even BF 2142, fictional and unrealistic as it is, would be better without revives though.

Upvote 0
Despite the unrealistic defibrillator method of reviving, they do encourage some realistic behaviour. In RO when you see a friend in the distance get shot and crumple to the ground you think "LOL RAGDOLL ftw!" but in PR, like reality, you think, "damn, I gotta help him!" Thanks to the more powerful weapons, limited defibrillator charges, and the fact that a revived person has almost no health, you have to weigh your odds of getting to a wounded man and saving him. Sometimes a guy can be 10 feet away and bleeding to death, but you can't save him because of enemy fire.

On the other hand, if they somehow made it 100% realistic and you had to apply first aid and then carry the wounded soldier out of combat, people would either not bother (again, leaving your friends to die without trying to help isn't that realistic), or so many people would be carrying the wounded that the entire server would become combat ineffective, and there would be no one actually fighting...

So no game actually treats combat wounds realistically. In PR you have to deal with wounded soldiers to some extent, RO just skirts the issue by making any seriously wounded person die instantly. Both methods are compromises, neither is realistic.

Upvote 0
the mod is a big improvement for bf2.. but its still bf2. 6 of 10.

Sums up my views on it really. It's a really great mod let down by the clunky BF2 engine. Can be laggy, hit detection is questionable, still the same old dolphin diving gameplay, and wishy-washy "where the hell am I shooting now?" mouse aiming. It's also pretty furstrating, I spent about 75% of my games waiting to respawn, then getting shot by some nobber sitting on my spawn point jsut waiting for me to appear :mad:

Oh well. I might stick with it, see if it improves. Still, cant beat RO though.

Upvote 0
I've been playing 0.5 and I'm enjoying it. I hope they fix that lag problem quite quick though.

Anyway I was looking about on ign and I saw a small review of the mod.

http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/763/763618p1.html

Please read the last line of the second paragraph.....comedy eh? (I won't even bother to list games that would be more realistic).

Upvote 0
This was posted on the their homepage should be out next week and its a server side patch so no d/l ing needed.

1. Server Crashes
    We have identified and fixed issues that are likely 90% of the cause of server side crashes. It might even be all of the server crash causes, we're not sure.. but there are some obvious ones that we have fixed.
  2. Lag Issues
    The current lag players are expereinceing is due to excessive strain we put on servers. We're optomising aspects of the server side code to eliminate this lag. The lag is not typical view distance or object count map oriented lag. It's lag caused by python code we run on the server to check certain parameters and states and some of this needs optomisation.
  3. Flag Cap Timers
    When we re-designed the v0.4 flag capture logic it was partially to avoid the horrible dynamic of defenders spawning in on the attackers. So we made CPs go grey really quickly in v0.5. With forward spawns removed from CPs, this "spawn in to be camped" dynamic becomes a moot point.
    When you combine the "fast grey" with CP Groups in AAS v2, this can make for a lot of chasing down grey flags. We don't want the game to play like this. We will be altering the flag capture timers to better suit our design goals: taking CPs should be about a jolly good fire fight (and not about sneaking in undetected or about camping flags until you capture it).
  4. CP Groups
    Our use of the new "CP Groups" capability in AAS v2 CP was a bit excessive. This will be scaled back and CP groups will be used more situationally and deliberately.
  5. Officer Kit Timer Restriction
    There will be no timer restriction for the Officer kit. You will be able to obtain one anytime you spawn without any delay as long as you are the Squad Leader of a squad of 4+.
  6. Set Rally Point Delays
    We will be reducing the timer to set rally points from 3 minutes to 1 minute.
  7. Minor Map Tweaks
    We have some limits on what we can do with a server only update, but some minor tweaking will be done to maps to address some game play and balance issues (over and above the CP groups issues).

Upvote 0
I like the fact that shooting people=dead people. Has a few other definate positives over vanilla BF2.

I like it, but they've toned the rifle damage down a LOT since .2... which pisses me off.

Put a 3-round burst of 5.56 into someone's chest and he's still a threat to you. WTF!? I know 5.56 isn't exactly a big stopper, but c'mon. It's better than THAT. Even the .308 rifles don't knock people down as well as they should.

Man, I had to shoot someone three times with a freaking SVD to put him out of action! If a round of 7.62x54R in the chest won't do the job, what will?

Then again, maybe it's the hit registration problems (that EA seems to think don't exist) that are screwing me.

Hopefully they'll change some of the maps that are terribly one-sided. There are a couple, but I can't think of their names.

Upvote 0
PR is a realism mod, as indicated by our name, but, the fact of the matter is, the team tries to stress teamwork rather than make a hardcore simulation. You need to realise how limited the BF2 engine is in what it can and can't do - and it can't do a whole lot.

It's ok, bur personally I don't like the fact that the G3A3 has the same hitting power as an M16. Also the firing rate ont he AK rifles is too slow.
In v0.5, larger calibre rounds (7.62) do more damage than smaller rounds. This means that th G3 and AK series of weapons packs a bigger punch than the M16 series.

Project *Reality* where they still have medics and REVIVES?!?!?!?

Please PR fans, explain.....

In all honesty I find medics, revives and limitless resupply most irritating and most gamey elements in BF series. Any mod even remotely attempting at realism shlould do away with medics and revives before anything else. I am very disappointed to see major BF mods (PR included) still keep healing and reviving bull**** in the game :(
It promotes teamwork. Also, it makes the game more enjoyable. Sure, it may not be entirely ultra-realistic, but gameplay comes before ultra-realism.

They even talk about removing minimap and manual navigation, but heck; they still have the magical wrench and the medkit. That's why I'm "disappointed" with it.
Personally, I'd like to see the minimap removed, but it is there to simulate awareness. In real life, you have alot more situational awareness than you do while playing on the computer. Likewise, reviving and repairing promote teamwork, and make the mod a whole lot more enjoyable.

Also, the dev team is aware of the lag and is working on a server side patch to fix it.

In the end, the team knows the mod isn't for everybody. What people need to be aware of is how limited the BF2 engine is in terms of modding. It's pretty damned difficult to do anything,

Upvote 0