• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Vietcong 2-yor opinions?

Vietcong was the coolest FPS game to come out for ages. It had the balls to make you walk (literally walk, not run) through a swamp in plitch darkness for 20 minutes whereas other games would of put you in a chopper and flew you right to the camp. The atmosphere was also very intense, the mission where you have to go through the Jungle by yourself in the dark to get to a LZ was very nerve racking. However, the tunnel missions made me go "you asshole, don't volunteer to be a tunnel rat you nubcake"

Vietcong 2 ****ed, although the parts where you played as a VC were good. If very short.

Upvote 0
Vietcong was the coolest FPS game to come out for ages. It had the balls to make you walk (literally walk, not run) through a swamp in plitch darkness for 20 minutes whereas other games would of put you in a chopper and flew you right to the camp. The atmosphere was also very intense, the mission where you have to go through the Jungle by yourself in the dark to get to a LZ was very nerve racking. However, the tunnel missions made me go "you asshole, don't volunteer to be a tunnel rat you nubcake"
OH YEAH! :D

Man, the two times you got separated from your platoon and the missions that ensue was hella nice and tense, GREAT addition to the story line that litterally made you happy when you managed to get back in Nui Peck. Every mission is very tense in this game with the highest difficulty level and the very limited number of saves. Made you value your avatar's life A LOT. :D

It's one great game that manages to show the terrible and pointless aspects of war.

Upvote 0
However, the tunnel missions made me go "you asshole, don't volunteer to be a tunnel rat you nubcake"
I was completely convinced (wrongly) that I had bound flashlight to 'f' - so when I pressed it upon entering the 1st section of tunnel I couldn't believe the basterds would sent me in a tunnel without a torch, just 5 or so flares (which I obviously used very sparingly). Seriously, I did the whole first section practically in pitch darkness. What a twat.
By the time I entered the 2nd section I realised I had not bound torch to 'f'after all - and obviously found that a lot easier. Unbelievable.
made you happy when you managed to get back in Nui Peck
I liked the atmosphere at camp at night with the guys round the fire playing harmonica or whatever it was.

Upvote 0
Best map of VC1 for me was the radio relay where you had to hold the muddy radio station hill in the thunder storm. Running back and forth letting rip with the nade launcher before having to drop it for the next available weapon was really tense.

The first time the VC triggered the flares and you run over the sand bags to see a wave of them coming at your really had me on edge. We nearly got over run a few times and I found myself running into no mans land to pick up a PPSH as my m16 just couldn't cut it against the swarms.

Brilliant game. Sounds cheesy but they dont make 'em like that anymore.

Upvote 0
haha the tunnel level's are really annoying, but tense ive just got out of them and im going through the jungle to the LZ which is harder than it seems, i love the atmosphere tho, i started my campaign on hard to get a challenge and it is very hard lol dread to think what vietnam mode is like, its almost RO like in the way that its basically one shot kill, oh and i play with the crosshair of to make it mor elike ro lol :D

Upvote 0
dread to think what vietnam mode is like
that's what I finshed SP with. VERY Frustrating but rewarding as hell :D

You know like on SP you can see who killed you as the camera goes from your corpse to the shooter: On Vietnam mode, the VC can make some ridiculous 300m headshots through bushes and whatnot :D

On the back of my game box it was written "will you dare to come back?" well after finishing it I was like "hell no thanks! was hell enough, maybe in a year or more, I'll replay it, leave me time to recover first" :D

Omg I remember the tunnel mission!!

F*ck me, I kept running out of glowsticks and must have attempted it about 10x before realising I had a flashlight!!!

LAWL! :eek:

ROFL not to mention there's booby traps and pungee in the tunnels :D so long if you don't use your light

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Let's not forget the amazing music. Flying into battle listening to The Stooges 'i wanna be your dog' was ****ing ace! :D
DEFINITELY :D

The bunker radio was great and I LOVED that "I'm gonna shoot my lady cuz I caught her cheating with another man"* song played during the intro scene where you're in the chopper with The Incredible Hornster :D

*who's song is that btw?

Upvote 0
I'm gonna shoot my lady cuz I caught her cheating with another man
Hey joe- jimi hendrix, but this is a cover version if I remember. A lot of the music was based on hendrix's style- but not actually him. Certainly the main title which is called 'pseudo hendrix' - tried to find a download link but seems you can only get it though 'auscong' if you join up.

Omg I remember the tunnel mission!!

F*ck me, I kept running out of glowsticks and must have attempted it about 10x before realising I had a flashlight!!!

haha i did that for a while because i couldnt find the button for the flashlight lol :mad:
Thanks i don't feel quite as stupid now!

Just as a 'DE-Invisable War- your opinions?' thread would, after one page, be posts about how great the origional was- here we are recalling what a truely brilliant shooter Vietcong was...

The sound effects were awesome - it has the best weapon sound (especially reloading) I have ever heard, as well as top class entertaining voice acting.
Did anyone find the creepy zombie VC at Nui Pek? It came out your locker after you tried to open it repeatedly, or something like that if I remember. You also got a grenade launcher at the same time.
I love this game so much- I just wish pterodon would support it again and update the anticheat- mp is ridden with hackers. They might as well- as it seems even they don't give a sh1t about VC2 anymore. Sort out ONE of these games, for christ 's sake lads.

Upvote 0
Did anyone else do the training missions? OMFG they are the best ****ing training missions in a game ever. If you mess up with your artillery strikes the drill instructor comes down and kicks your ass, aswell as insulting your skills with women and general life skills throughout.

If you've played Vietcong before and didn't do the training missions then go back and play them now. They are Vietcong's hidden gems.

Upvote 0