• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Recommendations?

Computer Recomendation.

First thing's first.

Price / Performance = AMD Processor.

The only Really good INTEL chip would be the C2D Core 2 duo... but thats kinda pricy.

Cheep Cheep Solution would be to find a Used Computer or build it out of Used Hardware.

The MINIMUM to run RO with VERY FAIR PLAYABLE FRAME RATE IS

ANY Computer with One of those Processors AND 1024mb of whatever ddr ram will run OST VERY WELL

AMD AthlonXP 2400+ or 2600+(2ghz, 266 FSB, 256l2 cash)
AMD AthlonXP 2500+ or 2800+ or 3000+ or 3200+)(>2Ghz, 333FSB, 512l2 cash)
AMD AthlonXP 3200+ @ 400FSB

A computer with 1 gig ram and one of those CPU's should cost P-Nuts these days...

As a videocard...

A Radeon
9500,9600,9700,9800 AGP will do a FANTASTIC job

A geforce4 TI4200
Geforce FX5200 (Bare Minimum... slow card, the TI is much faster)
Geforce FX 5700

such a pc will do a fantastic job, it is in my opinion, the best, cheepest PC that will run MOST of today's games... (With minimum graphix)(Medium if its a good Radeon9600 or FX5700)

Another Used Alternative.

If you can find an Athlon64 3400+ Clawhammer CPU with 1024kb of l2 cash with its motherboard(on a 754pin mobo), give it 1 gig of ddr ram, give it a decent agp videocard and you will have a VERY good Gaming machine.

The 3400+ with 1meg of l2 cash is GOLD... AMD Discontinued it because it would compete with the newer 939pin mobo's....

After the 939 pin mobo's and cpu's came out, they only sold ****ty semprons for the 754... Semprons are AMD's Celeron... aka cheep alternative... aka Cheep Compaq for noobs...

Keep in mind that everything previously listed is old hardware, upgrading from such hardware would be to build a Brand Spankin new pc.... NOTHING can be RE-Used for a new one.

If you have 1024mb of DDR400 ram...
You can go with a 939pin Motherboard and a Price/Performance CPU such as an Athlon64 3700+ or an Athlon64X2 3800+

However, the 939 pin motherboards are now outdated and it may be harder to find a good CPU in 1 year to upgrade... but still possible.

If you do not have ANY DDR RAM
You are MUCH BETTER off getting an AM2 Motherboard with 1 gig of decent quality DDR2 Ram.

Upvote 0
If you get a new computer it will handle RO at total max. Maybe not if you buy a computer less than $300, but I doubt that's gonna happen. I'd recommend getting a good deal on a computer for around $800, pretty cheap and anything at that price range should be able to run the latest and greatest without a problem.

The most critical thing, however, is get a computer with a PCI-e slot. If you don't you're pretty much screwed.

Upvote 0
I should have pointed out that I'm not really on a budget. I'm also aware of the current hardware. What I don't know is whether upgrading will solve my RO frame rates.

Here's the thing... My computer might be good for another 6 months or so if not for RO. RO is the only game I'm playing right now that is giving my computer trouble. So, I'd like to know if anyone else has recently upgraded their computer and found that it made a difference regarding the issues I pointed out.

Basic specs of my current computer are: 1.7 gHz P4, 768 MB RAM, Radeon 9800 Pro.

Same thing with the mouse: Anyone recently get a "real" mouse and found that it made aiming easier?

NOTE: Yes, I admit to being pathetic for buying a new computer before I need to just so I can get a better RO fix. But...you know how it is.

Upvote 0
Have just changed MB and processor.

Moved from a AMD300+64 to a Intel duel core2 E6400.
Bought a cheap Asrock MB that allowed me to keep my ddr1 ram and agp video card, Nv6600gt.

In RO I have a gain of about 25% in fps, which is quite impressive.
The nice bit is that the last and average fps counter show pretty much the same number.

The new processor has really given a new life to my old 6600gt and this concerns all games..

Probably the most impressive upgrade I've done, if considering the bang for buck's....260

Upvote 0
Without knowing your mobo its hard to say what you should upgrade to. All I can really say is get a better CPU and a better video card (RO is more demanding of the cpu then the video card but your video card is old). Though it sounds like its time to scrap that hunk o' junk and go on a spending spree. Fortunately for you, MaximumPC came up with a $1,500 gaming pc (which will be future proof for a few years). Granted they just say what parts to buy, so if you know how to put it all together then you will be set. If not, then look around and see what already assembled PC's you can find like it or ask a friend to help you (or learn to DIY*
pcfite.gif
). Anyways on to the specs (prices will probably be less if you look around online)...

Essentials
  • Mobo: EVGA nForce 680i $250
  • CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 $182
  • RAM: 1 GB Corsair TwinX DDR2/800 $150
  • Video Card: BFG GeForce 8800 GTS $450
If you decide you are going to wait till TWI's UE 3 game to buy a "next-gen" game (read: DX 10) then you can go with a cheaper video card and buy a better version of the listed cpu (or get it and wait for the quads to come out and down in price) and better/more RAM. Extra Info: The 8xxx series of Nvidia cards haven't been benchmarked under a DX 10 game because none are out, so the performance is unknown, I suggest waiting till next year before buying a DX 10 compliant card unless you really want to have AA and HDR on at the same time which the 7xxx and below series can't do. Also, ATI has not released their DX 10 cards yet, they could have better or worse performance for today's or tommorow's games compared to Nvidia's but no one knows for sure.

Stuff you might not need
  • Case: Antec Nine Hundred $140
  • PSU: Antec TruePower Trio 650 $125
  • HDD: 250 GB Diamond Max 9 $70
  • Optical Drive: Lite-On It Super AllWrite SHM-165H6S
A faster HDD than the listed one will improve load times (again I don't know what your HDD is so this one could already be leaps and bounds faster) and I don't know what PSU you have but you might need a better one to handle all the higher voltage requirements. You should be able to transfer over you optical drive and copy of XP to this new comp (iffy on the OD since I don't know the one you have, but a 100% on XP, you are allowed to transfer it a unlimited times, but there might be some red tape you will have to go through since you changing so many parts). Remember all this new stuff is going to run hotter so make sure you are thinking about cooling too (the listed case has plenty of cooling: 3 12cm fans and 1 20cm fan, if you don't get that then there are add-in fans and heatsinks you can get). Note: a sound card was not included because it would have went over the budget. Though I suggest you get one if you don't have one already because this motherboard's onboard audio is Realtek which has problems with EAX.

Oh and for a mouse, I have a Logitech MX 518 which works great (needs drivers to activate all the features, but they are more than worth the small amount of install and set up time required). Only downside is the thumb buttons are a little on the small side, I actually use my finger for one closest to the cord. Warning: once you have sensitivity switching buttons on your mouse, you can't go back :p.

*In the Feb. 07 issue of MaximumPC they have a step by step assembling process for this "Lean Machine 07".

Last edited:
Upvote 0
^^^
Yeah, the whole Vista and DX10 thing is another matter. I should probably wait for these to get established...but I'm tired of waiting.

In fact, I can't wait. I don't have much time and it's up to me alone to delay the Germans from overrunning us and coming for our women. (I only pick on the Germans because it's not right to shoot Russians with my Mosin-Nagant. :D)

Upvote 0