• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Vista Boycott?

ad. 1. If you plan to use Windows soley (!!!) for games then I'd install Linux on the 300 GB if 80GB is enough for your games.

ad. 2. I'd install Windows first. Many distros recognise that Windows is installed and then you can boot easily the OS of your choice.

ad. 3. around 2 minutes I'd say.

Ok, Windows first. I've read elsewhere too, so I guess that is the "official" way to go?

Anyway, I'm not going to use Windows solely for games. Basically, it's like this: Linux for internet, music, work etc, and Windows for games, but also internet / music (though less than Linux... so Linux will still be my main OS for internet / music).

I just don't get why I should install Linux on the bigger HD, considering games take up so much more space. Does Linux require so much HD space, or something?

Thanks for the answers, much appreciated.

EDIT: another question, is using Linux really, absolutely 100% a guarantee against never getting spyware / virus?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm not sure how many games you install, I simply considered that videos, mp3s etc. take a lot of space.
You can also install Windows on the 300 GB and have a partition that uses Fat32 for your data like mp3s etc. that way you can listen to your mp3s on Linux and Windows and can modify the mp3s (eg. IDv3 tags) while using Linux or Windows.

Nothing is for 100% secure, the user can mess Linux up as well, but generally it is very (!) unlikely that you will have a virus with Linux.

Upvote 0
EDIT: My reply is at Nimrod, sorry for the slow post ;)

No, and don't every let anyone tell you otherwise. HOWEVER, that said, the chances are very, very, VERY small for a user who shows some common sense in what they download/use and such.

Last count I heard, there were well under 100 known Linux viruses total.

Also edit: Most things that are construed as 'spyware' or 'malware' are written for windows, so for the time being at least you can be pretty sure of never getting malware/spyware.

Upvote 0
Ok, Windows first. I've read elsewhere too, so I guess that is the "official" way to go?

Anyway, I'm not going to use Windows solely for games. Basically, it's like this: Linux for internet, music, work etc, and Windows for games, but also internet / music (though less than Linux... so Linux will still be my main OS for internet / music).

I just don't get why I should install Linux on the bigger HD, considering games take up so much more space. Does Linux require so much HD space, or something?

Thanks for the answers, much appreciated.

EDIT: another question, is using Linux really, absolutely 100% a guarantee against never getting spyware / virus?

i use my largest drive because thats what i use 99.99% of the time + its really good at bittorrent and those files can be large and numerous

ive never had a single instance of spyware or a virus in my 6 years of linux use , there are always exploits in any system but with open sourced software the development cycle is really short so these exploits are dealt with in days rather than months or years even ( /me mooches on the nasty pr0n sites with impunity :) )

Upvote 0
Anyway before anybody considers to install Linux they should try one of the LiveCDs. That way you can play around with a set of programs, distributions and desktop managers without risking anything as nothing is written to the hd. But the speed of Live Distro is slower than installed.

One of the nex steps should be the choosing of a distribution and the . There is no "one" Linux, you have a lot of choice so that it may look overwhelming at first sight.

If you have a printer, a scanner or other "exotic" ;) hardware you should make sure that it is supported by Linux.
For printers go here:
http://www.linuxprinting.org/

Upvote 0
This article makes me wonder. Particulary the comment about 'Game Explorer is a likely placeholder for a future MS game-specific delievery system', or however the fellow worded it.

These are dark times, indeed. We need MS's DRM **** to shut some senator out of their computer a few times so that they get slapped with lawsuits and legislation until they know what an OS is for! :p

EDIT: DOH! Forgot the link : http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=12314

Upvote 0
Vista is becoming ana| retentive like a Mac. :mad:

Thats because it basically is a Mac now.. sad innit?

Gates seems determined to make an OS-X for Grandma, where everything is done by "helpfull" guides and files will be organized in pre-made folders named "My-XXXXX", whereas us gamers and computer litterate people will be sitting there, cluthing our mice so hard our knuckles turn white, trying to fight the urge to give the screen an uppercut and scream obscenities till we pass out from exhaustion!

Now with parental control! woohoo! more bloatware that doesen't actually work, and is probably a pain to disable.. if it even can be..

What the hell happened to Win-95? now there was a no-BS opperating system, it was buggy as hell, yes, but damn, why could a finely oiled and tuned version of that not be in our future? :(

Upvote 0
[ ] You never used a Mac.
[ ] You haven't got a clue.

Please make a cross where appropriate.

Wake up mate, Vista is such an OS-X ripoff it hurts, only not half as good as OS-X.

I've had the rotten luck og having to work with both an iMac and a G5, hated them both, and their OS'es, and Vista is just more of the same, but with more DRM and other restrictions, i'll hate that even more.. as much as i dislike OS-X, it is very functional for normal use, Vista.. i think not, crippled by bloatware and restrictions.

I seriously hope there is a viable non-Mac alternative the day im forced to abandon XP (i also dislike XP, but its stable and plays my games, so what can you do? Gamer-OS needed ASAP!).

Upvote 0
I like Ubuntu, it's less bull**** and has a proffesional sense of ease. :) I only use Windows XP for gaming now, and I have not even considered installing Windows Vista, only if I could get it for free. (But I'd probably wait due to all those compatability issues!)

Ubuntu stole my heart, and if you guys give it a shot, you'll love it as much as I do! :)

Upvote 0
XP for life!
funny shizzle...sad but funny. the beauty with any linux os is that if you have troubles there are lots of people and places to go for free help. ask a question and you will have a quick responce. M$ forces companies like DELL, gateway, MDG and others to use only M$ OS. they do this by selling the company low cost OS.they do this under the pretense that if that company ever sells anything other than M$ OS in thier boxes, they will then pay full price for any M$ products from then on. If the companies dont comply they are forced to buy M$ OS at full price, pricing thier boxes out of the market. in turn putting them out of buisness. another thing ive heard throught the grape vine: M$ will be putting out the new direct x for vista only. not sure if this is true, but sounds like the type of hardball M$ plays.

Upvote 0
Thats because it basically is a Mac now.. sad innit?

Gates seems determined to make an OS-X for Grandma, where everything is done by "helpfull" guides and files will be organized in pre-made folders named "My-XXXXX", whereas us gamers and computer litterate people will be sitting there, cluthing our mice so hard our knuckles turn white, trying to fight the urge to give the screen an uppercut and scream obscenities till we pass out from exhaustion!

Now with parental control! woohoo! more bloatware that doesen't actually work, and is probably a pain to disable.. if it even can be..

[ ] You never used Vista.

Please place an X where appropriate. :)

I also have messed with OSX, and with Vista. Vista's parental controls are only enabled when not running on an administrator account (guest accounts are NOT default, you have to set them that way for kids, etc.). The only thing annoying isn't that bad at all, and is the UAC. It is disabled just as easily as Windows Firewall in XP SP2, through the security window.

Upvote 0
I also have messed with OSX, and with Vista. Vista's parental controls are only enabled when not running on an administrator account (guest accounts are NOT default, you have to set them that way for kids, etc.). The only thing annoying isn't that bad at all, and is the UAC. It is disabled just as easily as Windows Firewall in XP SP2, through the security window.

Worst.Rebuttal.Ever!

Congratulations, you've managed to skip allmost the whole body of text i wrote and the core message in my reply, and only replied to the part i myself said i was unsure of.. you win -5 internets, please contact "Guido Repo Services .INC" to inquire about payment options :p

Upvote 0
Insults ftw! Nice reply btw, I'm glad that my counter-points to everything you said have left you with no worthy arguments except "lol whatever".

Errr...

[ ] You never used Vista.

Please place an X where appropriate.

Let he who is without sarcasm through the first stone.. (yeah i know the Mac guy did it first, but he's a Mac guy, he's just PO'ed over not beeing able to play RO :p ).

And what counter points do you speak of? you did not even try to adress the point of my post, you just tried to turn one sentance, where i said "and is probably a pain to disable" into a weak personal attack.

When using words like "probably", how exactly was i in any way trying to pass myself off as an expert on that feature? clearly i was not, making your bargain-bin attempt at a sarcastic attack not just unwarranted, but a bigger discredit to your own person than mine..

Upvote 0